Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#46443 - 01/10/11 01:54 PM Re: It's Official: America is a Police State [Re: Asmedious]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Not at all but I'd not call the cops to have him arrested either. I'm perfectly capable of handling that myself.

To avoid it, I don't wear my red cape with the big "S" when attending ceremonies. ;\)

I'm of the opinion that if you want to wear the crown, you have to accept the tomatoes too. So occasionally they get what they'd rather not have. Shit happens.

D.

Edited by Diavolo (01/10/11 02:08 PM)

#46444 - 01/10/11 02:21 PM Re: It's Official: America is a Police State [Re: Diavolo]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
So where would you draw the line? Tomatoes, flour, rice, dead birds are ok to throw, piss, shit, blood, corpses not?

What about the nut jobs who take it upon themselves to spray paint a persons fur coat? Is that ok too?
Personally I would want to shove the paint can in their mouths and make them eat what's left in it....oh but then I'd be the bad guy \:\)

#46452 - 01/10/11 03:47 PM Re: It's Official: America is a Police State [Re: Diavolo]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: Diavolo
I hear dying in a car crash isn't a too swell experience either and the odds it will happen are far greater than inhaling anthrax through flour thrown at you. Still, I need to see the first real demand for a ban on cars.

People are too scared nowadays and for everything harmful that can happen to them, imaginary or not, the state needs to jump in and prevent it at all costs.

Being alive always was a risky business; you can't make it safe without losing the feeling you actually live.

Man up dear satanists, man up.

D.

I understand what you're saying Diavolo. However, those scare tactics are real chemicals/bio-chemicals that have been used for these kinds of purposes.

Yes, shit happens. The sad part is that if someone was to fight back, that said person could just as well be prosecuted by our own judicial system. If the person that had their house shot up by the "bb drive by" actively sought out the person/s that shot up their house and beat the shit out of them, that person would then go to jail for assault. If they even so much as returned the favor and shot up the other person's belongings, they too would be arrested. As much as I'd like to say that Might is Right in this situation, in many cases it just results in legal troubles beyond the immediate satisfaction of getting even.

At least in a car accident, it's usually just that, an accident. There is a difference.

It's easy to say "Man up" when you or your family aren't the intended target/s. When you have more than ONE target to protect you tend to start looking at things a bit differently. Especially when you can't see your enemy but they've made themselves known to you, quite apparently.

#46455 - 01/10/11 04:08 PM Re: It's Official: America is a Police State [Re: Diavolo]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Not at all but I'd not call the cops to have him arrested either. I'm perfectly capable of handling that myself.

As am I, but I have a affliction to jail, so....I'll call the cops, make them aware of the problem, and go from there should anything else happen.

To avoid it, I don't wear my red cape with the big "S" when attending ceremonies. ;\)

Someone would just think you were Superman anyways. You can't teach stupid. ;\)

I'm of the opinion that if you want to wear the crown, you have to accept the tomatoes too. So occasionally they get what they'd rather not have. Shit happens.

However, if you have something like the Secret Service at your disposal, why not at least make them work for their money? Do I sometimes think it's a waste of tax payer money? Hell, yeah. But they are there for a reason. Presidents have been killed, and it's usually by people that were thought to be "harmless". Never count anything out in today's society. It's proven that, over and over again.

#46456 - 01/10/11 04:12 PM Re: It's Official: America is a Police State [Re: Asmedious]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Originally Posted By: Asmedious
So where would you draw the line? Tomatoes, flour, rice, dead birds are ok to throw, piss, shit, blood, corpses not?

What about the nut jobs who take it upon themselves to spray paint a persons fur coat? Is that ok too?
Personally I would want to shove the paint can in their mouths and make them eat what's left in it....oh but then I'd be the bad guy \:\)

I understand that politicians and royalty have security when they go somewhere public. The probability of having someone attack them is bigger than zero. But I don't see the need in wasting others tax dollars investigating every negative word uttered by someone, or treating someone throwing a pie as a terrorist. Remember we all laughed when that guy threw shoes at Bush? Some of those are now demanding that should be regarded as identical to shooting bullets. What happened to create that change in thinking? Media-enforced drama.

I can't be bothered about politicians being bombed with flour, tomatoes or anvils. That's part of the job, part of the risk. I might find it funny or dumb or be totally indifferent but whatever the case, I will not stand in line or wave flags in favor of their protection. I think most are overly protected as is, even when it's nothing but a sweet illusion, and the more enforced security and safety people demand, the less freedom they'll end up with.

So personally I think people should be logical instead of emotional when it comes to "hot" or "scary" issues. Most aren't so hot or scary at all. But more often than not, they sure are an opportunity for those desiring more power.

D.

#46459 - 01/10/11 04:39 PM Re: It's Official: America is a Police State [Re: Nyte]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Originally Posted By: Nyte
It's easy to say "Man up" when you or your family aren't the intended target/s. When you have more than ONE target to protect you tend to start looking at things a bit differently. Especially when you can't see your enemy but they've made themselves known to you, quite apparently.

It can be scary when you are the target of others, especially when you have kids. But what most people forget is that such is always the case. Even when you feel safe, you aren't necessarily safe. Most people live in some sort of hyper-reality where everything seems to go according to plan and when it doesn't, it must.

We live rather comfortable lives not because life is safe or comfortable but because we are not interesting to those making it unsafe and uncomfortable. It is economic thinking; whenever the profit exceeds the risk, things become interesting. If they don't, most don't bother. As such, at any point in life one can become interesting enough to be prey.

The question is not as much how to avoid it (because more often than not we can't) as what to do when it happens. We can crawl under our beds and call 911, if we are so lucky, or we can make sure we get the bastards. Of course this comes at a risk too but when we're a bit intelligent about it, options and opportunities might arise. Often it takes not more than the very will to do what is needed.

I myself prefer that above spending life below my bed.

D.

#46465 - 01/10/11 05:22 PM Re: It's Official: America is a Police State [Re: Asmedious]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: Asmedious
So if someone threw blue color flour at you, for let's say being a Satanist, you would just shrug it off?

Blue's not my colour ;\) and, yes, I'd laugh it off because far worse things happen to members of the minority communities of which I am a member every day. Over the last two years this has included - perpetrated on my partner and close friends - two rapes; three attacks resulting in grievous bodily harm; 5 cases of harassment and intimidation and too-many-to-count instances of verbal abuse, spitting and thrown missiles such as beer cans and pebbles.

So . . . back to British politicians. While a single police officer is likely to be present when one goes walk-about amongst the public they are NOT entitled to any special protection and the officer will not be armed. MPs here are elected public servants and not treated differently from their constituents. We have the attitude that if you want to get into politics you need to be willing to stick your head above the parapet and face the flak.

Edited by Nemesis (01/10/11 06:50 PM)
Edit Reason: Fixed for ya, Felix

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.