Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#43586 - 10/12/10 11:51 PM An Original Attempt At Demonology?
Morbid Rex Offline

I have an idea for a supernatural/speculative fiction novel involving demonic forces. I've skimmed through the internet for some information on demons but I find that most literature written on the subject differs from autor to author. In short there seems to be a lack of cohesion. The role of demons and the form of hiearchies they exist in seem to change from author to author.

Should I just use original creations for the novel, distort "existing" entities for my own ends, or do they exist somewhere an "accurate" and well laid out manuscript dedicated to Demonology?

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#43594 - 10/13/10 02:12 PM Re: An Original Attempt At Demonology? [Re: Morbid Rex]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as an accurate description of demons and their hierarchies. And being that demon's don't exist it would be rather hard, I think, to find find much consistency on such a topic.

That being said I suggest you create your own. Originality is always best. And only a douche would complain that you aren't getting it right. Sort of like those people who watch a movie and say things like "that would never happen in real life." Yes, but this isn't real life, it is a movie. Dumb ass.

#43601 - 10/13/10 11:24 PM Re: An Original Attempt At Demonology? [Re: Morbid Rex]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Morbid Rex
I have an idea for a supernatural/speculative fiction novel involving demonic forces. I've skimmed through the internet for some information on demons but I find that most literature written on the subject differs from autor to author. In short there seems to be a lack of cohesion. The role of demons and the form of hiearchies they exist in seem to change from author to author.

Should I just use original creations for the novel, distort "existing" entities for my own ends, or do they exist somewhere an "accurate" and well laid out manuscript dedicated to Demonology?

Here's the reference we used back in the original Church of Satan so that we didn't get confused as to whom we were invoking/evoking - or worse yet, accidentally conjure up someone from Heaven. These things can get very complicated.

#43602 - 10/14/10 01:50 AM Re: An Original Attempt At Demonology? [Re: Morbid Rex]
Clarence Offline
pledge

The Dictionnaire Infernal of Collin de Plancy is probably as close to a "classical" reference that you'll likely find. Naturally there are theologians and dubious magical texts that list intricate heirachies of heaven and hell, all of which are no doubt at odds with every other source. If you're of a mind to wade through them - good luck.

The Dictionary of Angels looks somewhat comrehensive. The Complete Book of Devils and Demons is comically optimistic, but it might be of some use.

Lovecraft did well enough inventing his own. Just a thought.

#43632 - 10/15/10 12:33 PM Re: An Original Attempt At Demonology? [Re: Morbid Rex]
Stag Offline
pledge

Can't let this pass without mentioning The Lesser Key of Solomon.

But no, your not likely to find anything like an accepted, 'official' heirarchy of demonic forces and such like. As is generally the case with matters of the LHP, there exists no legitimate authority to decide on these things (and rightly so, for obvious reasons).

Stag

#43633 - 10/15/10 04:58 PM Liber Spiritorum [Re: Stag]
Aklo Offline

do they exist somewhere an "accurate" and well laid out manuscript dedicated to Demonology?

In the Akashic Records, aka the hidden recesses of your brain.

Originally Posted By: Stag
there exists no legitimate authority to decide on these things

"Who is wiser than all the buddhas and sages?" You are the only reliable authority for the contents of your own head.

Originally Posted By: Clarence
Naturally there are theologians and dubious magical texts that list intricate heirachies of heaven and hell, all of which are no doubt at odds with every other source.

There is evidence of a puzzle. At one time, people greatly enjoyed working this puzzle. But what we have now, are several boxes of pieces. None of the boxes has the complete puzzle, and at least one of them was made with a different jigsaw design. The task set for the adept is essentially to construct his own puzzle, making free use of whatever he finds worthwhile from the various boxes.

Here is a nice place to start.

The Descending Hierarchy

Though notoriously boneheaded and a wonderful example of the unreliable narrator, in this part Waite has effectively captured the parallels between the Grand Grimoire and the Grimorium Verum. Both texts give sufficient detail about the first 27 entities in the hierarchy, but vary in terms of names and seals. Picking out who is who and what is what will be good for your brain.

And now you have an idea of how the hierarchy works. To follow it around, here is something which proceeds in a particular order.

Pseudomonarchia Demonum

Scot is here providing a translation of Weirus. One of his spirits has been left out, however, one from the Grand Grimoire, because his name and attributes conflict with the parallels from the next text to examine. The Grimorium Verum displayed similar reticence about this guy, so if you did the work you won't have any trouble sorting him out.

Shemhamphorash

This bit of the Goetia has 4 more critters than Weirus, Crowley has also provided reliable seals for each. This is useful in the next task.

Order of the Pentacles

Use the seals provided by Crowley and his classification of the orders by planet to match up the remaining 54 spookies with the pantacles provided in the Key of Solomon.

This will all be a lot easier if you get these books for yourself. To resolve any persistent quandaries, make reference to the lovely Pickmanesque drawings by Louis Breton from the Dictionnaire Infernale.

Demonographia

I have an idea for a supernatural/speculative fiction novel involving demonic forces.

Yeah doc, my friend asked me to ask you some questions about, uh, "erectile dysfunction" ...

The material I have laid out for you is going to fuck you up. It's the most powerful piece of lurking OCD in the English language. And it is still not the heart of the matter, compare the lists from Lucifer and Leviathan, read the Book of Thoth. Keep working, never stop. Ever.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.