Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#43853 - 10/27/10 10:57 AM the new and old version of satanic bible
RollinStalker Offline
stranger

Loc: san francisco ,Ca
I apologize first hand for not being able to find this topic I'm about to ask about! I know there is difference between older versions of the Satanic Bible from the more recent ones! But what are the difference, something was left out? Who has the rights to publishing, and is that the reason

#43856 - 10/27/10 01:03 PM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: RollinStalker]
Knievel74 Offline

Loc: NY
I bought my book about 20 years ago, so if there are any changes since then I wouldn't know about them. But from what I understand, in the original printing, LaVey gave thanks to the writers who influenced the book: Aleister Crowley, Ragnar Redbeard, etc..and since then the names have been omitted.

#112205 - 04/07/17 06:07 AM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: Knievel74]
aerial_dc Offline
pledge

I'm also curious about this. I've read some of the differences in Michael Aquino's "The Church of Satan" but it would be cool to have an isolated list of all changes made to the Satanic Bible over time. I've heard wording in the UK version is different in some spots and obviously the forward changes with different authors.

Also the physical differences. I have the Satanic Bible/Satanic Rituals hardcover by Rabid Crow Arts/William Morrow Publishers. It's already worth a lot of money though, so I've been keeping it nice and reading my mass market softcover versions.

It would be nice to have a large softcover version. It looks like ISHI Publishing/Sam Sloan (with his own intro) has printed one, but an Amazon review said the printing was bad. Something like "The beginning of many sentences are falling into the middle crease of the book on many pages". I've seen pictures of larger softcover versions but I have no idea what editions they are. A comparison list of physical changes would also be useful.

#112227 - 04/07/17 11:06 PM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: RollinStalker]
LoneWolf78 Offline

To the best of my knowledge there is no difference in the texts of any of the editions.

The covers are slightly different.

The first print editions have a dedication list.

The introductions have been authored by three different people during different printings, to the best of my knowledge.

I know what you mean about how it would appear different in Michael Aquino's Church of Satan, however, it is my understanding that most, if not all of TSB was originally distributed to the membership in leaflets or info packs. So, in that case, yes the text was more than likely slightly different due to them being self published vs a mainstream book publisher.

I have also seen the large edition online. I would be curious to know a bit more about it.

#112231 - 04/08/17 08:42 AM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: LoneWolf78]
Megatron Offline

Loc: fuckit, some kid cracked my co...
 Originally Posted By: LoneWolf78
To the best of my knowledge there is no difference in the texts of any of the editions.

The covers are slightly different.

The first print editions have a dedication list.

The introductions have been authored by three different people during different printings, to the best of my knowledge.

This is the correct answer. You can check out Lords of the Left Hand Path by Stephen Flowers for more specific details. It's pages 172-175 in my edition, but I have the original Runa Raven copy.

Oh, and I spell everything right.

#112256 - 04/10/17 04:16 AM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: RollinStalker]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
The original Introduction was by Burton Wolfe. This was replaced by mine in 1972 (in both the Avon paperback and the Univeersity Books hardcover). After the 1975 crisis it was replaced by an updated Burton Wolfe Intro. Sometime later I believe Peter Gilmore replaced Burton's with his own - I think after Anton's death.

The extremely important Dedications page disappeared with the 1975 changes, I think. "EI" because in personal conversations Anton always stressed the importance of readers' following up on these names, as he also did with the similar page in the original SR (which I also believe disappeared after 1975). All of these names/details are covered in my Church of Satan history.

The SB originally had its book dedication "to Diane", which I believe was deleted when Sharon "Blanche Barton" Densley succeeded in displacing her.

On the back cover later editions covered the bottom of the ASLV photo with a large computer scan box. Originally his hands were visible, with the top one in the Sign of the Horns and wearing his famous gigantic quartz ring.

I think that's about it.

#112271 - 04/10/17 05:47 PM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
aerial_dc Offline
pledge

Thankfully the "For Diane" page remains in my William Morrow hardcover version, which has the Peter Gilmore intro (An official version mentioned on the CoS website). It's also in the Avon Books softcover which I bought around 2002 (with the large UPC bar over Anton's hands). Hopefully the person who helped write it will at least retain a mention.

There is a version printed by "Star" 1977 ISBN: 0352396709 with a different cover. In the middle there is large text "The Satanic Bible Anton LaVey. Around this text is a drawing of red snakes around green thorned plants. This is the UK version I had mentioned previously but I would guess the alternative text is a rumor. I don't remember where I read about it.

More details for the Rabid Crow Arts/William Morrow Publishers Satanic Bible/Satanic Rituals version, for anyone who's interested to know: 6.5 wide x 9.5 inches high. Hardcover. Large text. Red color instead of Pink Baphomet on the front slipcover and photo of Anton on the back. Silver indented print on the actual book. "The Nine Satanic Statements" printed on the inner front slipcover. The Eighteenth Enochian Key printed on the inner back cover. I believe it was Printed in 2015.

I'm still interested to know about the new ISHI Publishing/Sam Sloan version of The Satanic Bible. From the Amazon preview I can see that Sam Sloan writes his own intro, talking about his sex cult and his relation to the CoS. Websites say it's a "Large Text Softcover." It looks like Sam Sloan has also previously printed it in Russian.

Also curious about specs for the University Press version. One of the reasons I'm asking about larger versions is because I can't tell if my large hardcover has been up-scaled or scanned from a previous large version.

#112277 - 04/11/17 07:02 AM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: aerial_dc]
Megatron Offline

Originally Posted By: aerial_dc
I'm still interested to know about the new ISHI Publishing/Sam Sloan version of The Satanic Bible. From the Amazon preview I can see that Sam Sloan writes his own intro, talking about his sex cult and his relation to the CoS. Websites say it's a "Large Text Softcover." It looks like Sam Sloan has also previously printed it in Russian.

What? Do you need $10 or something?

It's obvious the dude just re-scanned the PDF and added his own couple of pages. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit. Yet . . .

#112295 - 04/11/17 02:56 PM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: Megatron]
aerial_dc Offline
pledge

Ha. It's not worth $10 if the first words on pages are falling into the center and unreadable. His first Russian version was printed in 2010 and surprisingly no lawsuit there. I'm not sure "Lords of the Left Hand Path" by Stephen Flowers has the info I'm talking about. I've seen the dedications but this look like a good book either way. I'll have to get a copy, thanks for the recommendation.

#112301 - 04/12/17 01:19 PM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: aerial_dc]
Megatron Offline

Originally Posted By: aerial_dc
Ha. It's not worth $10 if the first words on pages are falling into the center and unreadable.

I completely agree. Which is probably why I save my worst reviews for a book titled God's Secret Formula. Not only did the cover paint fail seriously, the ideas within were 10X that amount of garbage.

Edited by Megatron (04/12/17 01:36 PM)
Edit Reason: I just went through my library to find it, but I actually think it hit my garbage pile when we moved last year. P.P.S. See if you can find my review on Amazon . . .

#112304 - 04/12/17 11:01 PM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: RollinStalker]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Both the SB & SR 1972 University Books hardcovers had interiors which were not freshly typeset; they were photo-blowups from the Avon paperbacks. The only typesetting was my SB Introduction.

One of the oddities of the SB & SR which I never understood was the cut-out of the Baphomet on which the lizardragon was resting. To see the complete design, go to my The Church of Satan and use the "Look Inside" feature; go back several pages until you get to the Preface.

Pre-SB Mr. LD&B, an ASLV drawing, graced the Church's official stationery, and later on its Satanic Baptism certificates. The version in CoS is not exactly the original, which, like the Bessy Baphomet, was rather imprecise. I blew a sheet of the stationery up in the photo lab of my PSYOP printing plant in Vietnam in 1969, cleaned it up, then blew it back down into a negative, which sat forgotten in a file until the last editions of CoS.

Also tinkered with the Bessy Baphomet, resulting in the one appearing here as my 600C avatar. Straightened out his snout, made everything symmetrical, and replaced the Hebrew "Leviathan" with "Satan" in Marabic.

Up through 6/75 the B had specific background colors signifying the degrees: I red, II white, III black, IV blue, & V purple. After 6/75 the degree-system was abandoned, and at the same time anyone could buy medallions of these and many other colors, like pink and lime-green. I have no idea whether Gilmore continues this with his business.

If you're "collecting" the SB, don't forget that The Satanic Mass, which is a reissue of the original vinyl, includes Anton reading the Prologue & complete "Book of Satan" as part of it. Apparently it's OOP, but you might keep an occasional eye on eBay for a copy that's not a rip-off.

#112322 - 04/13/17 11:09 AM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: MA
After the 1975 crisis it was replaced by an updated Burton Wolfe Intro.

Hmmm, I wonder what edition I own. I'll have to check it, for curiosity's sake. Mine is so old, the pages are falling apart. I just keep it around as an artifact of my youth recommended by my Librarian.

If memory serves the cover price was less than a dollar.

#112326 - 04/13/17 02:33 PM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: SIN3]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: SIN3
Hmmm, I wonder what edition I own. I'll have to check it, for curiosity's sake. Mine is so old, the pages are falling apart. I just keep it around as an artifact of my youth recommended by my Librarian. If memory serves the cover price was less than a dollar.

I'd guess you have Burton W #1, which sold for 95, of which Anton told me he got 3/copy royalties (!). So the SB was originally just an Avon cash cow, at least for first-time authors.

#112327 - 04/13/17 02:37 PM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Turns out I have the 1971 printing.

I was correct on the cover price, .95

My guess is the publishing was just to solidify discussions had in the Rainbow pages. If Diane typed it up on an old type-writer and acted as Quasi-Editor, explains the dedication.

#112340 - 04/14/17 06:38 PM Re: the new and old version of satanic bible [Re: SIN3]
aerial_dc Offline
pledge

Michael A. Aquino: Thank you for your helpful responses! The use of Amazon preview was unneeded since I own the 2013 printed version of your "The Church of Satan" book. I see that Lizard Dragon is covering Zain (ZYN, "Sword") with it's right foot. This could mean that the path between Binah (Understanding) and Tiphareth (Beauty) is hidden by the right hand path. That is my best guess.

I don't know what Lizard Dragon actually is though. I can only assume it represents Satan in some form?

I think your version of the Baphomet symbol is better. What is the origin of Marabic?

The Satanic Mass picture disc is great. I'm 1 of 999 owners! One time I put it to good use when I went to a "Satanic Mass" party. Sadly the party had little to do with Satanism, they were just using the imagery to have a party.

I knew the DJ who played records between bands so I brought the record. He let me play it between some sets and the mood instantly changed with Anton's booming voice over the system. The more people drank during the night, the more I could see it affecting them (talking about feeling weird and looking a little scared). I remember specifically playing The Book of Satan, Verse III. It was on Halloween.

Sin3: Your copy is much older than mine! Where yours says "Fifth printing, December 1971" mine is blank. Under "Printed in the U.S.A." I have the numbers 60 59.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.