Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#43966 - 11/02/10 12:53 PM Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: The Game of Human Chess
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
It's not human cockfighting.

It's move, counter move and the spoils go the one with the highest grade of physical ability and mental acuity.

Of course, if it's a street fight, it's all Fairbairn.

#43967 - 11/02/10 01:41 PM Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: Fnord]
Jake999 Offline

#43968 - 11/02/10 01:55 PM Re: Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: Jake999]
Fnord Offline

Yeah, I wish my body were younger, less broken and more willing these days too.

I haven't seen a lot of that before. The grappling/submission moves were familiar. The striking looked like an odd mix I hadn't seen put together before though my exposure to organized martial arts training is somewhat limited as I've only participated in Aikido and BJJ, both in limited quantities. One of my friends owns a BJJ gym though and he breaks down the MMA fights for me so I can understand what's going on.

#43969 - 11/02/10 03:27 PM Re: Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: Fnord]
Autodidact Offline

Those poor guys, they should be wearing red shirts

"You pretend you have a knife, and come at me!"
"Ok. When do I get my fifty bucks?"

Seriously, though, I would like to start learning a martial art. I keep trying to fool myself that it'll be Krav or JJ or JKD, but since I'm too old and fat it'll probably be Aikido. Or Tai Chi.

(Or Wheelchair-Fu ...)

#43970 - 11/02/10 03:36 PM Re: Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: Autodidact]
Fnord Offline

Tai Chi \:\) (me too)

These days I'd probably just take my cue from Indiana Jones:

#43971 - 11/02/10 04:28 PM Re: Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: Fnord]
Jake999 Offline

Yep. I'm way to old to expend the energy in Krav or Ju Jitsu. But reloading my gun is something I can do while sitting in front of the TV with my juice and cookies.

#43975 - 11/02/10 09:57 PM Re: Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: Jake999]
XBlackXScorpionX Offline
stranger

Loc: Arizona
Thanks guys! You reminded me that I need to get a new gi and get my ass back to the dojo. I love Ju Jutsu (we use this slightly less popular spelling.) and the first video up there really pulled some strings inside.

Our school has a few videos on youtube... I forgot how much they like to make movies. Enjoy.

#43976 - 11/02/10 10:23 PM Re: Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: XBlackXScorpionX]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Krav Maga: For when you REALLY need to hurt someone.

I've been thinking about learning KM but there are no local gyms that have classes in it. The great thing about it is that it is based off of your body's natural reactions in a given situation - it just makes them more controlled and therefore more effective.

A funny tidbit on that seen from Indiana Jones: Originally there was supposed to be a long drawn out fight scene but on the day of shooting it was really hot so Harrison Ford just pulled out his gun and shot they guy. They thought it was so funny they decided to write that into the script in place of the fight scene.

#43977 - 11/02/10 10:54 PM Re: Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Meh. Krav Maga is about as effective in real world situations as karate..that is to say..not so much. There is a reason you don't see krav guys do well in full contact competitions, and that ALL the videos you will see are choreographed.

I have been doing BJJ/thai boxing/boxing for many many years, and seen many krav guys come and go from the gym I work out at. They all leave with a different perspective ;\)

#43978 - 11/03/10 12:23 AM Re: Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: Dan_Dread]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Ahem...

As you may know, I teach this stuff. I also have a fairly deep background in a variety of martial arts and enough 'practical application' to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Two cents:

No, MMA is not 'human cockfighting.' Unlike the widely sanctioned and accepted sport of boxing, no sport MMA fighter has ever died in the ring or been rendered brain damaged from years of fighting. While nearly everything in MMA is potentially lethal, the RULES ensure fights are ended before anyone gets seriously hurt.

From my POV, MMA and BJJ are good tools that allow me to train people with very little fighting ability into passable fighters in a short period of time. It can be trained ad hoc with little preparation and still be safe yet realistic. It can also be used to good effect to allow people to tap their natural aggression that they were born with but society has conditioned them to suppress.

The old way of teaching Combatives comes from the old OSS/Commando/W.E. Fairbairn school. In this school, we teach certain techniques. We teach 'opening moves' and 'finishing moves' that are simple to learn, and if correctly executed, highly effective. The problem with this style is it does not teach the fighter what to do when things don't go according to plan. Krav Maga and many other martial arts suffer from this.

I am a big fan of the bracial stun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JTQRRqMFAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvF_iDurNEk

I have used it for real in three separate street fights. However, in one fight I missed. Why? Because people in a real fight are moving around and actively trying not to get hit. This particular poor bastard ended up getting hit on the mandibular angle of the masseter instead of the side of neck on the bracial plexus. So, instead of laying down and taking a little nap, I had to immediately transition to more aggressive techniques which left him in a coma and me in handcuffs. It had a happy ending.

Never the less, simply knowing one technique or another does not teach you how to fight comprehensively and fluidly.

If you were looking to 'up your game.' I would recommend the following:

First, take some BJJ or tradition Ju-Jitsu. There are over 700 forms after all. Look for a school that emphasizes sparring and supports (or actively competes) in local competitions.

Since most Ju-Jitsu schools these days have tried to distance themselves from Judo, most do not teach good stand up technique. While some may argue that all fights end up on the ground, I would counter that they all start standing up and should be finished in that position. To that end, you may need to add some tradition Judo to your tool box.

Now, before you are close enough to wrestle around on the ground with your opponent, there is all this dead space between you and them. Learn to close that distance and how to manage that space by building a good foundation of Muy Thai. At the very least learn some traditional boxing. Properly executed, good hands and knees will finish and opponent without the need to roll around in the mud and the blood and beer.

And all of this for free! Such a deal...

#43979 - 11/03/10 10:54 AM Re: Krav Maga... If I was just 40 years younger [Re: Fist]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Fist
Why? Because people in a real fight are moving around and actively trying not to get hit.

I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe - all I can think of is that scene in Lake Placid where Oliver Platt boasts about his brown belt, gets punched in the nose, and comes up saying, "He didn't say 'go', aren't you supposed to say 'go'?"

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.