Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#44049 - 11/08/10 07:19 PM Around the World in 80 Faiths
PrinceOfBabalon Offline
stranger

Loc: London
Early last year the BBC aired an eight part TV series called Around the World in 80 Faiths. Hosted by Anglican vicar Pete-Owen Jones, it was essentially a whistle stop tour of world religion covering the major religious ideologies and a few of the more obscure movements, all from a very comparative religious standpoint (owing much to the BBC's ecumenicalism).

As might be expected, it was an exceptionally Right Hand Path series that did not showcase the crimes of religion against the Self, nor did it offer a critical, rational approach to religious claims instead leaning to the aesthetic appeal of religious movements. It followed all the expected party lines of ecumenicalism and egalitarianism.

Be that as it may, it was a fascinating series and one that (unknowingly) yielded a great deal of useful information on issues such as the essentially magical basis of religion, how religion plays on primitive fears and why the "sacred" is such a universal and enduring thing. That aside it also served as an exceptionally well made introduction to a number of interesting ideas.

The whole series is available online with the first part of the first episode here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HghQff8GJZU&feature=&p=2B12AB1EEFC2F24F&index=0&playnext=1

#44055 - 11/09/10 07:34 AM Re: Around the World in 80 Faiths [Re: PrinceOfBabalon]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Thank you so much for this, PrinceOfBabalon! The series caught my eye last year and, as a Theology graduate I "ticked" it to watch in my TV magazine - and promptly forgot all about it. It's nice to have the opportunity to catch up. \:\)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.016 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.