Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4416 - 02/21/08 06:45 AM Single-use athames
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Normally I don't perform rituals, but the discussion about inmates being allowed to use athames in prison in another thread got me thinking.

Cast-wax athames?

I was considering that these might be useful when performing a one-time rite, or rituals that one does not normally do. One would have hundreds of colors of candle wax to select from, which could be used to fine-tune the workings of the spell (or whathaveyou). You could use a mould made from your own athame so it would feel comfortable to you. Symbols could be carved, gems or other items could be placed in the mould while it's cooling, etc. All to further increase the potential outcome you wish to attain. Afterwards, it would be appropriate to destroy it, breaking up the wax and disposing of it as how one sees fit.

Ideas? Comments?

#4421 - 02/21/08 11:17 AM Re: Single-use athames [Re: Nemesis]
birdstrike Offline
pledge

Loc: Canada
There actually have been a few rituals to this effect published. A book called Chaos and Sorcery by Nathan Hall (if you can get it) outlines a few doll magic rituals involving the use of carved wax figures. Peter Carroll's texts on symbol fixation also include wax figures of target symbols.

As you stated wax is very malleable. For the sorcerer who doesn't have access to a host of expensive tools wax is the way to go for target fixation type rituals. Even wood working is expensive by comparison. There is also the destruction of the item (either as a banishing or a part of the ritual). Wax is fairly easy to destroy. Not just easy but opens more avenues of destruction. It can be melted, smashed, cut, or a combination.

#4434 - 02/21/08 08:20 PM Re: Single-use athames [Re: birdstrike]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Absolutely. I've used Fimo clay figurines in rituals, and it's a fantastic way to help focus the will. Also, the objects I've made out of clay aren't ever meant to be kept, only for the duration of whatever it is I'm using it for. But it's very hard to destroy when its purpose is finished (aside from taking a hammer to it, but that makes a big mess and the clay isn't always hard enough to shatter correctly). The wax athame idea sprung from a similar concept, along with the question, "What if I don't want certain energies/assocations embedded in this important ritual piece?" What if you had to perform a very nasty piece of work? The energies/memories that would be evoked every time you picked up your athame could affect things later on down the line. Also, if one is into gemstone energies, or pieces of metal, etc., you wouldn't want to have to glue those things onto your real athame. You also couldn't carve symbols or words into the hilt or blade without making it permanent. Using wax takes care of all of these issues.

#4522 - 02/25/08 03:34 AM Re: Single-use athames [Re: Nemesis]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Yes, but if you were talking about prisoners having access to these items...

I'm almost positive I could shank someone's carotid artery with an appropriately configured wax weapon. Then, of course, I could completely dispose of my instrument very quickly.

Probably not a good idea.

Why the need for props anyway?

#4525 - 02/25/08 11:49 AM Re: Single-use athames [Re: daevid777]
birdstrike Offline
pledge

Loc: Canada
For more seasoned practitioners I would agree that props are not just unnecessary they are counter productive. I find myself they don't allow me to fully explore the potential of a working.

However that being said I think that props are almost a necessity when one first begins to practice magic. Props are indispensable in my opinion when one is first learning to focus. They are also a handy tool for the newer practitioner to reach that certain state of mental elation.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.015 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.