Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#44292 - 11/20/10 06:46 PM Re: Alas.x. [Re: Dimitri]
HeimiricIX Offline
pledge

Loc: Mexico City.
Probably because of my job (graphic design-related) and one of my personal hobbies (writing) I, on the other hand, welcome any kind of fantasy-related beliefs or stories, I don't mind them at all, unless they are trying in some way to Force them into my head I actually like to talk about them.

One of my best friends is a mormon while another really good friend is christian, both are smart (in the sense they both know of history, music, culture, one of them talks 5 languages, the other has traveled quite enough, etc), fun to be around people, they both now of my religion as well and as they don't mind I don't mind theirs either, we commonly argue about their religions or mine and we get insights of both, sometimes I learn something new about my beliefs by telling them about it or by listening to them talking about theirs or mine.

Same story with my girlfriend/wife, she was raised a catholic and though she is not active in her religion some of her god-beliefs are still there, yet she accepts that her beliefs are her own only and that she may be mistaken, we both can talk about religion (or mythology or LotR or w/e) without any problem and without any sensibility harmed.

I really don't see the point in disliking other people due their religions, a smart person won't become dumb just because of his religion and while yes it is true that the masses (stupid masses) tend to focus more into certain religions that smart people would rather avoid, there are exceptions.

Knowledge is everywhere and I'm not willing to push it away just because I may or may not feel my beliefs to be weaker or stronger.

Best.

#44312 - 11/21/10 06:45 AM Re: Alas.x. [Re: HeimiricIX]
Dutch Satanist Offline
pledge

Loc: Delft, The Netherlands
I totally agree with that. I do know people who I see as friends who are christian and even some that are muslim. Some of them even like to have their beliefs challenged by me, which yields stimulating debates with no hard feelings afterwards. But I do get new and interesting insights from that, which I value, even if I don't agree with them. It still is useful to know what makes people tick, especially for lesser magic purposes.

I do have a thorough disdain for fundamentalists and evangelicals though. They really are a waste of time. I try to avoid discussions with those.

#44314 - 11/21/10 06:48 AM Re: Alas.x. [Re: HeimiricIX]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Maybe I exagerated a bit with the "all religious people must disappear".
But what I do want (and do) is not to let religious beliefs interfere with the mental capacities and minds of those around me at work or during studies. It annoys me to death when at work a perfect capable person starts talking about paranormal businesses such as reiki, ghosts, souls, and other woo-ish beliefs. A person is supposed to do its job properly and such ideas can harm productivity if not put into order.

I'm also convinced mankind could have been on a higher technological level if simply all religion was being reduced in practicing belief in your free time after work. Religious thinking always has been a hinder for productivity.

#44316 - 11/21/10 07:20 AM Re: Alas.x. [Re: Dimitri]
Dutch Satanist Offline
pledge

Loc: Delft, The Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Dimitri
It annoys me to death when at work a perfect capable person starts talking about paranormal businesses such as reiki, ghosts, souls, and other woo-ish beliefs. A person is supposed to do its job properly and such ideas can harm productivity if not put into order.

Yeah, I know that feeling. My bullshit-sensor tingles when someone brings up new age stuff. I do try to see past that though, even though my capability for taking that person seriously dropped a few notches.

Originally Posted By: Dimitri
I'm also convinced mankind could have been on a higher technological level if simply all religion was being reduced in practicing belief in your free time after work. Religious thinking always has been a hinder for productivity.

I see where you are getting at. And I agree to an extent. But if religious practice hampers productivity, wouldn't it be a problem that will eventually solve itself? Non productive people are more easily fired that productive ones. \:\)

#44348 - 11/21/10 08:59 PM Re: Alas.x. [Re: Dutch Satanist]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Most people need prefabricated morality and authority. They need to submit themselves to something greater, and would be completely lost without such an outlet. Were Christianity to collapse tomorrow, something else would rise to fill its function, and probably something even worse (islam). Better the devil you know.

#44349 - 11/21/10 08:59 PM Re: Alas.x. [Re: Dutch Satanist]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I, myself, have quite a few christian friends. In fact, most of them are christian. Even my ex, is catholic. They are okay people and they don't ever try to force anything on me nor I them. Their story books can be quite fascinating to read and maybe even take something from what they debate with me about but at the same time they know that is exactly what I view them as. Man written stories that serve no other purpose in my life rather than random entertainment.

Besides, I must say this, it is much easier to argue/debate against a topic with someone (such as difference in religion or otherwise) if you know what you are talking about instead of outright refusing to have anything to do with it. You don't have to practice what they preach but it is very likely that it would be easier for them to see from your point of view if you had a well rounded knowledge of THEIR point of view as well. It's more difficult for them to argue against you if you know as much if not more about what they are trying to preach and harder, as well, for them to come up with solutions to the holes in their theories as christians.

#44351 - 11/21/10 09:03 PM Re: Alas.x. [Re: Dan_Dread]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Very well put Dan.

People DO need structure. At least the mass majority does. Thus the deconstruction of christianity would certainly NOT lead us to "victory" as Satanists only serve as a purpose for us to become adversaries to the next round of extremist shepherds to take hold of the reigns of the mass majority.

#44352 - 11/21/10 09:08 PM Re: Alas.x. [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
It was bruce lee that said, in his work the tao of jeet kune do, that the trained man will always be more able to deal with a situation than the untrained man. I find this is true of philosophy in general.

Everyone needs some sort of structure, what sets who they are apart from who they are not. Most are just not capable or even aware that this structure can be manufactured rather than adopted.

What sets these two paths apart is one is static, the other, dynamic.

#44396 - 11/22/10 01:27 PM Re: Alas.x. [Re: Dan_Dread]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread

Everyone needs some sort of structure, what sets who they are apart from who they are not. Most are just not capable or even aware that this structure can be manufactured rather than adopted.

To circle this back around to the beginning of the thread, this is why (many) people proselytize.

Many people need that structure to understand the world and function in it. Deviation from that structure is a threat to that understanding, and, because of their dependency, literally a threat to their world.

For those who are unable or unwilling to entertain such deviation - which usually means asking themselves uncomfortable questions - this threat is met as most threats are: defensiveness, anger, conversion attempts, avoidance ...

Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
It was bruce lee that said, in his work the tao of jeet kune do, that the trained man will always be more able to deal with a situation than the untrained man. I find this is true of philosophy in general.

One wonders if early schooling in philosophy and logic would ameliorate such defensiveness, or if the need is more deep-seated ... hm, maybe I should cross-post this to the nature-vs-nurture thread ...

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.