Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#47021 - 01/19/11 12:04 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: mabon2010]
Mocking bird Offline
stranger

Loc: England
I remember when it was leaked Prince Harry being in Afghan`

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/28/military.afghanistan

I dont know, how would our country react if a Royal was killed?

Would the Government call the militery in too cause some serious damage to Afghan?

#47030 - 01/19/11 04:41 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: Mocking bird]
mabon2010 Offline

Loc: The Commonwealth of Great Brit...
@ Mocking bird

I would be gutted and seriously pissed off if Prince William was killed in Afghanistan. Britain would only do what it has already been doing in Afghanistan, and one needs to accept that in war soldiers die - even princes.

It won't stop me calling for the head of the reporter or politician who was part to blame for the death of the prince.

I want our soldiers home. It is a pointless and unwinnable war.

#47129 - 01/21/11 10:15 AM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: mabon2010]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
In general, monarchies nauseate me – spoiled children whose claim to fame is being born to other spoiled children. And yet, officially recognized monarchies such as Queen Elizabeth and her brood are a microcosm of our world reality: Some are born to rich families, others to poor families. It’s a roll of the dice.

I realize that all of us can drastically change our circumstances for the better or worse regardless of the family we’re born into, but clearly those growing up in Buckingham Palace have a much better chance of living well off than those raised in a hut in Haiti. This reality is a sober reminder that life isn’t simply a meritocracy – “pulling oneself up by the bootstraps”. As long as Daddy or Granddaddy or someone else up the line pulled himself up by the bootstraps, it’s good enough for some.

#47131 - 01/21/11 10:30 AM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: William Wright]
Mikey58 Offline
stranger

Loc: England
Being in favour of Republicanism I would like to see the monarchy in the UK abolished. It seems to me to be an outmoded institution in the 21st century. It perpetuates the class system and the upper classes who believe that they are superior to other people.
#47139 - 01/21/11 02:35 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: Mikey58]
mabon2010 Offline

@ Mikey58
With a few changes the British monarchy can move into the 21st century.

The British monarchy has its uses for instance stopping Britain from becoming a dictatorship. The military are kept in line as they are all loyal to the Monarch in the event of civil war.

Abolishing the monarchy will do nothing to address the inequality that exists in the land, it will just replace one system with another one. As George Orwell said, "all are equal, just some are more equal than others".

#47141 - 01/21/11 02:42 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: mabon2010]
thedeadidea Offline

The British monarchy should just be removed entirely it is a decadent ruling order which now just gets payed for doing virtually nothing accept servering as public figure heads. It is economically inefficent and as an Australia citizen I would rather not be putting my money into the coffers of some old farts that visit once a decade.

Furthermore if I was in England I would rather own my land then pay to rent it for 100 yrs or so.

Edited by thedeadidea (01/21/11 02:45 PM)

#47153 - 01/21/11 05:57 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: thedeadidea]
MindFux Offline

Quote:
Furthermore if I was in England I would rather own my land then pay to rent it for 100 yrs or so.

In England there is such a thing as a fee simple absolute in posession, which isn't a lease. It's an indefinite term ownership of both the beneficial interest (equitable interest) and the legal interest in the land. The beneficial interest (the right to live on the land)can be assigned out in blocks for fixed time periods, the legal interest will remain yours (this is how you 'lease' the property, you sell for a fee the beneficial interest for a fixed term). This legal interest will remain yours until conveyed, or you die, which in the case of registered land will pass according to the laws regarding inheretance to various relatives. Only in the case where you have no living relative (if you die without a will), or a will requesting it specifically, will your land pass back to 'the crown' but that is only a legal simulacrum.

In reality the land is auctioned off immediately as while 'all land belongs to the crown' that is to say, the monarchy/government is the one that grants the fee not that they have any legal or equitable right to the land.

To clarify, the monarchy, or the government has no overruling rights over individual fee, except for churches on unregistered land patches that may have duties of maintenance etc, but they are no different from US HOA enforced Deed restrictions and have no impact on the actual ownership of the land. So no, in England they don't just rent their land. In any system of government, any owned land will pass back to the government if there is absolutely no one else alive that it can inheret it according to the laws of the land. Similarly all land is granted by the government on some level, via registration or statute.

Just clarifying. Personally I think the monarchy are a waste of space and provide England no value besides tabloid sensationalism. Being English I could give a minor shit who the next king is. I just hate legal misrepresentations for fairly obvious reasons.

#47190 - 01/22/11 04:03 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: William Wright]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

Loc: 65?1%833Q!92A24 (It's a code)
 Originally Posted By: William Wright
In general, monarchies nauseate me – spoiled children whose claim to fame is being born to other spoiled children.

=thread killed.

Although I realize you ultimately made a larger point about stratification and all it entails (good and bad), I think it's fair to say that the "I care who is the next British monarch" tune is a song sung by faeries.

JK

#47192 - 01/22/11 04:46 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: Jason King]
mabon2010 Offline

@ Jason King.

I could care less who was the next American President. Palin just for the lulz. Why? I am British.

You as an American would say:
""I care who is the next British monarch" tune is a song sung by faeries."

However, as British subjects the people of Britain do care who will be the next monarch. Personally I am supporting William, and dread his father Charles taking the throne.

#47201 - 01/22/11 08:56 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: mabon2010]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Why would you care who will be the next monarch? That's like feeding the dog that shits in your garden.

We have a monarchy here and even when they don't wield any real power, I wouldn't mind if we'd hang them by the feet like Mussolini. I don't consider them precious at any level.

Most of them are inbred so why would we even consider them as special or support them being in control?

D.

#47202 - 01/22/11 09:41 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: Diavolo]
mabon2010 Offline

@ Diavolo
1. Because they are my monarch.
2. Because I am British.
3. Because I am a nationalist who loves my nation and my monarch.

#47219 - 01/23/11 01:19 AM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: mabon2010]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
One needn't be a British citizen to appreciate and respect the admirable job that the royal family, and especially HM the Queen, have done throughout their lifetimes.

Each nation has come up through the years, and in this case the centuries, with its unique heritage, including form(s) of government. In the UK the monarchy has successfully evolved from its ancient, feudal authority to, if you will, the "chief servant" of Britain. Its members are expected to be selfless, conscientious, humanitarian, and sympathetic. Simultaneously they are expected to at every moment personify and represent everything that is noble and great in the British character. Before you sneer at any part of this, consider what a lifelong strain it is - and how well you yourself could endure it if in any of their shoes. And remember that the flip-side of being born into that station is that you cannot ever escape it.

HM the Queen has done an almost superhuman job during her entire reign, and during an era of extreme pressures on the UK (such as the disintegration of its Empire and subsequent uncertainties within the Commonwealth). She has maintained her presence, poise, and positive influence throughout numerous changes-of-government (often in very contentious political times). She has rightly earned a place in history as one of the world's greatest leaders of all time.

Where the Prince of Wales is concerned, I just as unhesitatingly stand up for his lifelong integrity and public service. His and Diana's unfortunate marriage experience is just that: unfortunate, and clearly disheartening to both of them. It is callous and cruel to hang it around his neck like an albatross. And before otherwise dismissing him, may I suggest that you take a careful, informed look at all the good he has done and continues to do for the nation; you can start right here.

#47223 - 01/23/11 05:34 AM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
mabon2010 Offline

@ Michael A.Aquino

Well said.
The haters of the British monarchy seem to ignore the amount of good they do. Duties, charity work, playing to tradition and etiquette is hard and restrictive if one is not used to it, which is a reason why so many of the marriages broke down between the royals and outsiders.

#47278 - 01/23/11 10:01 PM Re: Prince William should be King [Re: mabon2010]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
Considering im a Eton College (interestingly enough i was in the same year as Harry), Oxford and Dartmouth (the Royal Navy version of Sandhurst) graduate, I think I know the role of the royal family in the British armed forces. Before you ask I left because I felt I was being pushed towards my father's career not my own.
The attitude of the British Military would be what would he want to do, like when Prince Andrew served in the falklands as a naval helicoptor pilot.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.038 seconds of which 0.014 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.