Page 10 of 20 « First<89101112>Last »
Topic Options
#70614 - 09/02/12 04:19 AM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Naama]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Most vegans in the UK don't just have an animal-free diet but do not use any animal-related product, including leather, wool and silk. I know quite a few and, while their choices must complicate life somewhat they seem happy enough with them and aren't "preachy".
It's an interesting challenge to look at supermarket food labelled "Suitable for Vegetarians" and check out which ingredients included are by-products of the meat industry, such as cheese on a meat-free ravioli. There's not much point in being vegetarian and not vegan, if you're doing it for animal welfare reasons.

#70617 - 09/02/12 05:29 AM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Naama]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Veganism is good for the occult, I don't have any prooflink for it, but I got this experience from some other occultists... practicing occultists. And my own experience does proove it too...

That idea is linked to "purify the body" before ritual. Happens a lot in New-age groups. You have no idea how much farting takes place during such a get together.

Quote:
It (if I would become a vegan) does not necessarily put me together with the tree huggers and granola crunch people. I am still an LHP follower... but veganism stems from different reasons here...

If fags can follow the LHP, transsexuals, former pedophiles, clowns, carnivores, vegetarians.. why can't a vegan? This statement is pure brainfart.

#72480 - 11/03/12 06:45 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Dimitri]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
I have a farm and I raise animals that I eat or plan to eat soon (the beef is due to be born in March). I don't feel one second of guilt over this, even when I'm snuggling the rabbit today that will be slaughtered tomorrow. My only concern is that they are killed quickly so they don't suffer. After that, they're just meat.

As has been said, that's the way things go. Some animals are predators and some are prey. These animals exist for the sole purpose of feeding my family and me. I do my part by making every minute leading up to slaughter pleasant for them.

My diet is almost opposite of recommendations. I eat loads of meat and eggs and a modest amount of vegetables and fruits. I'm healthy as a horse. My bad cholesterol has never tested above 19 and the closest I get to being sick is the occasional hangover.

I think the deteriorating health of Americans has just as much to do with what is in the food they eat as it does with their choices of what they eat. Russia did testing of our GM corn and found that over the entire lifespan of a rat, the corn gave it cancer. Our FDA only tested for 6 weeks (or was it months?) and cleared GM corn for human consumption. Also, GM foods and methods used to process even fruits and vegetables on a commercial scale strip most of the nutrients from the foods you eat. There are thousands of potato strains yet we only eat 3 kinds because they are the easiest to mass-produce. They are also the three least healthy strains of potato. Etc.

Chemicals used in processing foods, Chemicals used in growing/raising the foods, genetic modifications of foods, hormones in our meats...these things all contribute to poor health. The dairy industry has demonized raw milk so that it can keep 100% of the milk market, yet the process of homogenization strips the milk of almost all of it's nutrients. They respond to that by going back in and tampering with the milk so to add nutrients to it. What the fuck are you actually drinking?

(And spinach is a better source of everything that the dairy industry claims you MUST DRINK MILK in order to get.)

Since most of what I consume comes from within a half-mile of my house, I have the advantage. I know what's in my meat because I raised it. I know whether my fruits and vegetables are safe because I grew them/picked them. There wont ever be a recall on dinner here because there are no south americans shitting on their hand and then touching my food. Also, I am in tune with my body and can interpret what it's asking for. I give it what it wants, and it wants loads of meat.

And I'm neither guilty nor ashamed. I treat my animals very well, and nothing about eating meat is unnatural. What *is* unnatural, I think, is denying yourself any kind of food simply because something had to die to provide it. Nature is death.

And as for the bobcat and the hunting knife thing, obviously you have never hunted in any way at all, ever. Even armed with doe piss and a great rifle with a scope, deer are not so easy to kill. Nor are rabbits and most other creatures.

Edited by ceruleansteel (11/03/12 06:46 PM)
Edit Reason: added a word. Fuck you.

#72483 - 11/03/12 08:05 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: ceruleansteel]
blackblooded Offline
stranger

Loc: Louisiana
We try to kill squirrels as humanely as possible: Stun them with a pellet gun (anything high-caliber would blow it to bits) and chop it's head off. My friend was talking about wringing ducks' necks, and I brought this up. We both got accused of animal abuse by a classmate. As if it's more humane to let it suffer, as long as it doesn't get away.

On vegans, I like to tease my vegan classmate whenever I get the chance. I've never told her this, but she looks like a skeleton. She's pretty enough, just really thin. I once asked her if it was vegan if I only drained the animals life force. She didn't get the joke.

#72524 - 11/04/12 01:18 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: blackblooded]
ceruleansteel Offline

There's nothing pretty about "really thin". When I see someone with bones sticking out all over the place, my first thought is drugs and my second thought is AIDS. Even starving kids at least have a bloated belly. No, "really thin" is an indication of something gone terribly wrong. Every time. Whether it's diet-induced malnutrition or drugs or disease, it's not desirable.

I think when killing squirrel, it's a lot better to do like we do with rabbits: karate chop the back of the head like a Bruce Lee champ. Then you can hang it by it's head when you skin it. So much easier and you can save the pelt because you didn't have to rip it to shreds to get it off.

We hunt squirrel with a small caliber shotgun, just blow them out of their nests. Never had one I couldn't cook and never had one I couldn't keep the pelt.

And I don't think they consider it "more humane to let it suffer". I think it's that for some reason, when you put an animal in a factory, a magical gas comes out of the walls and they feel no pain ever. Perhaps some of these factories even bring the animal in, give it a good home, and then pick steaks and bacon off of magical trees that grow in the factory.

In other words, people are pussies and they have trained themselves to never think about a steak being a former cow, etc. When you make them confront the reality of it, they get all conflicted and shit.

#73056 - 11/19/12 05:52 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: ceruleansteel]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I prefer to buy my meat locally.
We have this farmer who offers grass fed animals for a decent price.
Norwegian wild-sheep and deer on the way to our freezer as I write.

If all goes according to plan: come spring, I will be a certified hunter and (hopefully) be given the right to carry a firearm.
(There is a file on me somewhere...)

Looking forward to sinking my teeth into:

My kids are city-bred, and I brought them with me when we purchased half a grass-fed pig on a local farm.
(Pigs should be around 60 lbs at the time of slaughtering.)
The farmers wife was incredibly thankful that we brought the kids with us.
As she said; they need to know!

Back at home we unwrapped Piggy, and laid him out on the table.
Kids! Jigsaw-puzzle coming on!
They got so utterly into reconstructing.
Was a real pleasure!
(As was the following pork chops.)

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#73071 - 11/20/12 01:56 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Woland]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Seeing as my iron level sits at a daily level of 6, the word Vegan is far, far from what I could ever imagine being. Apparently, at such a low level, I am basically the walking dead. Although, I function quite well seeing as my diet mainly consists of Monster and random snack foods.

As for the humane killing ideas.. When it comes to killing anything can one really ever do it in a completely humane way? Can you truly give a comfortable death to something that already instinctively knows it is about to die? Since what they feel is not translated to humans, I guess we can only make educated guesses at which would be the best method.

@Cerulean - I actually am quite thin myself. It's natural for me to sit at the 115 pounds that I am at. Especially standing at a measley 5'4". I have to admit that when I see stick figures, however, it makes me wonder about what they have in their kitchen. I have striven for the body that I wanted by working out and never really being stuck in a state of inertia. It's a pride thing for me that I can keep myself in check and still remain healthy. It's also a plus when I can have a burger and not really worry about it distributing itself into places I'd rather not it stick around in. I see what you are talking about but at the same time, not everyone is sick when they are thin.

Furthermore, starving children's stomachs are bloated because of the gas in their systems from the lack of food. It's truly a sad thing.

#73085 - 11/20/12 09:40 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
FemaleSatan Offline

Loc: The Dirty South
Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason you iron is so low is the diet you are consuming, in particular the energy drinks?

Caffeine prevents absorption of iron.

Check it out:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/481280-iron-deficiency-caffeine/

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?id=1378

#73089 - 11/21/12 12:52 AM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Woland]
ceruleansteel Offline

Quote:
Norwegian wild-sheep and deer on the way to our freezer as I write.

Nice! My freezer currently houses one 8 lb rabbit, half a deer, and two squirrels.

Quote:
If all goes according to plan: come spring, I will be a certified hunter and (hopefully) be given the right to carry a firearm.

It always surprises me, the things Europeans have to be certified for. What do you have to do in order to "have the right" to put food on the table? We have hunter's education classes, but they only apply to those born after 1978. Aside from that, you shell out 35$ for the permit and just make sure you use the right weapon according to the season. If public land is not huntable, it has to be clearly marked as such in the annual hunting guide. If private property isn't huntable, they have to mark it with purple (spray paint or purple ribbons). That's pretty much all of the rules.

What will you hunt when you get your privileges?

Quote:
(Pigs should be around 60 lbs at the time of slaughtering.)

What kind of pigs are you buying? We're going to start raising blue butts December 1st and they're typical slaughter weight is between 250 and 300 lbs. After 250, though, the fat ratio goes up quickly.

I can't wait to be chowing down on my own pork chops and bacon...around next spring. I think it's good for the kids to know, as well, and to witness the "circle of life" in action. However, I seem to be in the minority with my peers. I don't have the kids present for slaughtering, but they know that when a rabbit or pig or chicken, etc., leaves the pen, it's only for one reason. Then comes the pelts, and the carcass to be butchered up right in the kitchen.

#73101 - 11/21/12 12:16 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: FemaleSatan]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

My iron has been low since I got pregnant with my first son. Even on a contained diet and iron supplements, it is difficult to maintain above a 10. Which is better than a 6 or 7 but there's not too much difference in the effect that it has on my body.

Interesting links. I have meant to cut these things out of my diet for a long time but as I have a couple small routines that revolve around it, those must be broken first. In time.

#73110 - 11/21/12 03:34 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
ceruleansteel Offline

You may want to consider adding yogurt to your diet and skipping processed foods. If you are eating a diet high in iron but still find yourself anemic, it could be a digestive disorder.
#73111 - 11/21/12 03:39 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: ceruleansteel]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Originally Posted By: ceruleansteel
You may want to consider adding yogurt to your diet and skipping processed foods. If you are eating a diet high in iron but still find yourself anemic, it could be a digestive disorder.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't really given much thought to yogurt but it's definitely worth a try. At some point, I would like to just be off iron supplements but for now, I roll with the waves.

#73112 - 11/21/12 03:47 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Eating foods high in Vitamin C can also help boost your body's uptake of iron, while caffeine (as CS mentioned), eggs, high-calcium foods like dairy, and high-phytate foods like nuts can inhibit absorption.

#73148 - 11/22/12 11:40 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. Gardein Product [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
prodigalsun Offline
pledge

Loc: CA, USA
The photos of food dishes made with this faux meat are bodacious to the mental stimulation for meat. To make many dishes where this can be a replacement for chicken and beef, other critters. Changes more of my views on tolerable veganism.

Edited by prodigalsun (11/22/12 11:54 PM)

#73149 - 11/22/12 11:46 PM Fence Straddling Partial Vegan/Partial Carnivore [Re: prodigalsun]
prodigalsun Offline
pledge

Loc: CA, USA
Processed meats, from many news exposes and science studies has been claimed to be most harmful to many human metabolisms last few years.

I decided to become a partial vegetarian also to deal with the cost of food too, mainly raw meat cutlets. Vegan four days a week and meat 3 days.

I do like the meaty texture of eggplant dishes, plus like potatos in many variety dishes.

Many scare stories have appeared about some medical maladies with public personas and celebrities on vegan diets exclusively. Linda McCartney for one and her cancer death.

Insects are long said to be good protein sources, with grubs and maggots of larger species a staple in some aboriginal cultures (like New Guinea). I could try out some of these, if they were prepared certain ways or made into a ground food meal for baking.

Edited by prodigalsun (11/22/12 11:49 PM)

Page 10 of 20 « First<89101112>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.031 seconds of which 0.014 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.