Page 8 of 19 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#58486 - 08/22/11 08:34 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Diavolo]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: Diavolo
Not only that, agriculture also requires an awful lot of water which poses yet another problem when completely switching to it.

Yeah, but you need that anyway, to feed the cows, even if just to "finish" them.

I'm sticking with my original idea - ban the Haber-Bosch process, move to organic agriculture, and eat ourselves down to a sustainable population.

"Honey, it's long pig for dinner tonight!"

#67312 - 06/15/12 10:43 AM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Autodidact]
Woodey Offline
stranger

I have yet to eat anything Vegan that I would want to try again. There have been a couple of dishes that I thought were alright, but nothing to make me yearn for more.

Face it, nothing can compare to the smell of seared animal flesh, gets my juices flowing every time.

#67345 - 06/16/12 08:46 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Woodey]
FemaleSatan Offline

Loc: The Dirty South
I am primarily vegetarian. I eat meat but it's a rarity anymore.

Why rare? I never really thought about where meat comes from until I started hunting and cleaning my own game. Seeing the blood, etc associated with eating meat changed my appetite, changed the way I view meat in general.

Once you actually have the literal blood on your hands involved with actually killing a living thing (even if it's just an animal) do you 'get' what you are eating. Something that bleeds, something that feels pain, something that may feel emotions, etc.

Ever since I started hunting meat and the thought of eating it makes me slightly nauseous.

Broccoli doesn't bleed. Lettuce doesn't have eyes that stare at you. Beans don't have bladders you can accidentally pop while cleaning them and smell that smell.

I think if more people hunted, the general view of meat would be less cavalier.

Edited by FemaleSatan (06/16/12 08:48 PM)
Edit Reason: damn phone ie, typos

#67362 - 06/17/12 02:10 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: FemaleSatan]
Stick Offline

Loc: Benelux
although getting getting an hunting license is hard were I live, I love to do so.
There are others options to to get your meat, deer is an common roadkill over here, and mostly only head injury occurs.
It is true, gutting game is not a pleasant sight and having a strong stomach comes handy when you sniffing the warm blood and other juices.
But I feel proud when I drive back at my home with a dove, deer or large pike in my backpack, and the satisfaction really kicks in when eating and tasting the strong aroma.
Does not taste like chicken.
Hunting did make me start eating meat again.

#67383 - 06/18/12 12:50 AM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Stick]
REDRUM666 Offline
banned
stranger

Loc: Beltrami County, USA
Yes, being a vegan can kill you. Just like any diet one must have balance. The fibers of your being need the right building blocks or the temple will crumble. Man has been eating meat for as long as mankind has been a member of the food chain.

Man needs to kill and dominate it is in your very DNA. Even the book Might is Right details this very well. It has always been about gold and hot woman. Gold and woman are enhanced with charred meat and alcohol hands down.

If you just eat that plant crap you will not get enough protein and your hair will fall out. And if you continue death is sure to come knocking. I broke up with a really pretty girl in high-school because she became a vegan. Not that there is anything wrong with eating what you enjoy, but she got ugly and her did start falling out.

Hell why not become like those idiot who do not eat anything because of some lying yogi from India. He claims to have not eaten for like 50yrs or some crap. I wasn't paying attention when my mom was telling me about him because she is into all that New Age crap. But I did see a news story about people who have gone on this no food diet detailed by some filthy hippy and have died: Go figure right?

Vegan diets can be as dangerous as heroin or crack diets some be careful. Hey maybe I should write a book called The South Compton Freebase Diet. To the archives!

REDRUM.

#67438 - 06/19/12 02:58 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: REDRUM666]
Erich Zann Offline

Loc: Germany
Or maybe you should start to inform yourself about veganism before making statements about hairs falling out and people losing their life...

Eating only "that plant crap" won't harm you if you do it right. There are loads of vegetarians and vegans out there who practiced that way of eating for years - and wow, they're neither getting ugly, nor do they lose their hair and on top they seem pretty alive too.

I myself am a vegetarian for about 8 years now, lived vegan for half a year some time ago just to try it (I stopped back then because one basic product for vegan cooking wasn't produced anymore and furthermore after a while the taste wasn't my kind of thing any longer). And I have to tell you: I'm neither the pale small guy with a scabby bald head, nor am I starting every sentence with "Listen carefully, for these could be my last words!".
I did not eat any kind of meat, fish, poultry or basically anything that is able to shit for nearly a decade and I'm still waiting for the bad results to come.

Bryan Adams, Anthony Kiedis, Jared Leto, Moby, Phil Collins, Serj Tankian, Demi Moore, Joaquin Phoenix, Pamela Anderson, Toby Maguire, Weird Al Yankovic - all of those well known persons, and lots more, are vegetarians or vegans. Especially the musicians often have long and hard tours to do - do you think they could make it if their way of living was as deadly as you think it is?

I'm not one of those guys who try to convince everybody that eating meat was wrong. Actually, I don't give a single fuck what you eat as long as you don't expect me to eat it too. But these "we have to eat meat", "our DNA wants it", "not eating meat will kill you"-arguments are simply outdated and utter crap. They were true several hundreds or thousands of years ago, when humans really had to fight for their life everyday.
In nowadays living conditions where nearly everything is available on demand and the danger of being attacked by a wild animal outside of your house is rather small, it really doesn't matter anymore, as long as you know how to get what your body needs.

@ FemaleSatan: Your attitude is a pretty good one in my opinion. Those who hunt their own food at least know what it takes until you get the steak on your table. It's interesting how lots of people shiver when they see how a cow or pig is killed at a farm -even through the comforting distance of television- but then put the piles of sausages on their plate some minutes later - hey, maybe they grew on trees...

Edited by Erich Zann (06/19/12 03:09 PM)
Edit Reason: some additions

-Bart Simpson

#67528 - 06/20/12 10:00 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Dutch Satanist]
Cassandra Offline
pledge

Loc: Temple, Texas
I am not a vegan but I've read a lot of recipe books and the like for the raw foodie lifestyle. There are other supplements and whatnot--such as apple cider vinegar and nutritional yeast (which is a full protein that includes B vitamins)--where vegans can get their protein.

What is a protein? It is simply a chain of amino acids held together by peptide bonds. It is, from what I've read, not necessary to get all your essential amino acids in one meal--they can get collected for the body to use through spaced-out meals over the course of a few days. Plants, fruits, veggies all contain varying amounts of amino acids (and so do nuts), so the vegan could get complete nutrition through a varied diet that also included some kind of nutritional supplement.

#67627 - 06/22/12 08:14 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Cassandra]
Woodey Offline
stranger

@Cassandra Legumes such as lentils and beans are also excellent ways for a vegan/vegetarian to get b vitamins and protein. I agree that every meal does not need to be packed with protein or complete proteins for that matter. Proteins are extremely important to the body, but one can maintain a healthy body via the non-animal diet.

#68330 - 07/04/12 04:43 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Woodey]
Robert Paulson Offline
pledge

Loc: Montana, America
Has anyone given thought to plants and what they endure? On Valentine's Day men give women flowers. Those are plant genitals! Farmers take plants' babies (seeds), bury them in the ground, cover them with a mixture of dirt and excrement, and then drown them under water. When the children grow to a reasonable height, they are "harvested", just a fancy word for slaughtered. These plants are ripped from their homes (the ground), placed in containers with no room to breathe, and chopped into little bits. Plants are life forms, too! I am glad that one member mentioned the song by Tool that talks about the carrot holocaust. It really puts things into perspective.

PETA members show people videos in which cows are dropped from hooks into pens. How would PETA members respond to videos showing bales of hay being thrown into piles? The PETA videos show livestock being teased and mistreated. How about radishes, which are sliced into rose-petal shapes? I've never seen a carnivore try to guilt-trip a vegan. Food guilt is a path to mind-controland part of the Right Hand Path lifestyle. Free your stomachs and your minds will follow.

#68341 - 07/05/12 01:49 AM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Robert Paulson]
Latvian Offline

Loc: EU, Latvia, Riga (old town)
Thanks for great post! I had once curious situation. I was in train and one scrawny, bony girl sited in front of me and I was in hunger, but my friends, who have lovely gardens gave me some carrots - I started to eat and suddenly girl cried loudly - I'm killer and everyone in the train was in shock. I asked - please explain - she told I killed carrots!... I didn't understand and then she said - she ir radical vegan, real or true fruitarian and eat only what is fallen and never kill plants.

This girl was extreme example, but many RHP walkers in their practical life and believes are sometimes more stupid than adherents of Christianity or Muslims...

#68358 - 07/05/12 01:33 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Robert Paulson]
Erich Zann Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert Paulson
I've never seen a carnivore try to guilt-trip a vegan.

Nope, but there are a hell lot of carnivores who brag about how manly and necessary meat is and that vegans, vegetarians or basically anybody who refuses to eat everything you put under his nose is a weak and weird pussy.
This is just the same - the one side wants to convince you that eating meat is bad and the others want to convince you that not eating meat is bad. Both are annoying as fuck.

And by the way: Just beacause there is the possibility that plants experience similar feelings (if they can at all) as animals do when being cut off/killed is no reason to say "nah, just fuck it" if you used to live without meat.

Quote:
Food guilt is a path to mind-controland part of the Right Hand Path lifestyle. Free your stomachs and your minds will follow.

Why is it mind control if you think about what you eat and then decide to stop eating certain things after you made up your mind? And what does this have to do with the RHP?
And defining the freedom of ones mind by his way of eating is simply bullshit. Quite the contrary, if somebody gives up their own credo just because someone else doesn't think it's good, that would be mind control or weakness.

-Bart Simpson

#68496 - 07/07/12 08:43 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Erich Zann]
Robert Paulson Offline
pledge

Food control as mind control is the idea that a church or other group reminds its members just how much it runs their lives while they are eating. During meal time or while purchasing food, people will contemplate what they are allowed and not allowed to eat.

#68529 - 07/08/12 10:17 AM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Robert Paulson]
Erich Zann Offline

In that case you have to distinguish between people who live/eat after special rules because any kind of organization told them to do and those who live that way because of their own, personal decision. The first ones, which was never a question, can indeed be called controlled, but the second group just lives how it wants to.

-Bart Simpson

#68581 - 07/09/12 07:08 AM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: Robert Paulson]
when7iseleven Offline

Loc: High Peak, UK

If you want to see food control in action then go & spend a few hours loitering near the meat aisle of your local supermarket; super cheap tastless food for the masses, no taste but lots of protein based calorise..........ooooh yummy! Nothing better to stupify the mind & at least they won't have to think about what they eat.

#68609 - 07/09/12 05:20 PM Re: Veganism; It could kill you. [Re: when7iseleven]
Robert Paulson Offline
pledge

Erich Zann said,
"In that case you have to distinguish between people who live/eat after special rules because any kind of organization told them to do and those who live that way because of their own, personal decision. The first ones, which was never a question, can indeed be called controlled, but the second group just lives how it wants to."

I see your point, Herr Zann. I was thinking along the lines of Moslems and Orthodox Jews who limit their intake for bizarre reasons. Those would fall into your first group. The second group does so for two reasons: 1. They receive faulty information about food or delude themselves into thinking that their new diet makes them more moral than most people 2. They really just want to eat more healthily.

For the ones seeking health, I see the idea behind what they are doing. The ex-vegan who made that webpage came to the conclusion that his diet was insufficient so he upgraded to include meat. He was sensible, so I give him credit. Thank-you, Herr Zann, for encouraging me to make that distinction. A good forum encourages people to think and rethink their positions. That's what I like about The 600 Club.

Page 8 of 19 « First<678910>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.