Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#44493 - 11/27/10 11:15 AM Wikileaks Strikes Again!
JWG Offline
pledge

Quote:
The U.S. is already in damage-control mode ahead of the latest classified documents expected to be released by whistle-blowing website Wikileaks.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke with the leaders of several countries, warning her counterparts of what the documents may contain, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said.

There is speculation that the documents will reveal sensitive and embarrassing details of American diplomacy with foreign countries, The Associated Press reports.

"We are all bracing for what may be coming and condemn WikiLeaks for the release of classified material," Crowley said. "It will place lives and interests at risk. It is irresponsible."

Wikileaks has not set a time for the release, but it is expected to happen this weekend.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/20...l#ixzz16V30wHrN

I have mixed feelings about Wikileaks. I'll reserve more until later as I'd like to hear others reaction to this and until I see it play out a bit more.

Edited by JWG (11/27/10 11:15 AM)

#44520 - 11/29/10 10:23 AM Re: Wikileaks Strikes Again! [Re: JWG]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I read a newer article on this earlier today.

The first thing that comes to mind is to question the outcome of such leaks. I wonder if most folks really want to know what their government is up to. I suspect that most would rather stay tuned in to herd friendly television than to think about dirty dealings behind closed doors.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that once said dirty dealings are out in the open and then frowned upon, how does that change life in the modern world? There simply isn't some utopia that exists where everyone gets what they want all the time. For someone to gain, someone else has to lose. For example, living in America, for most, means constant access to cheap goods (produced elsewhere) at all times. Fully stocked Wal-Mart shelves means some people on the other side of the world had to work their collective asses off for practically nothing to make it so.

The US does ferociously protect its interests. We do threaten with military might, we do rattle our sabers and we do participate in dirty deals to protect the American lifestyle (capitalism). We paint a pretty face on it for public consumption, but deep down inside we all know that it's a lifestyle wrought in blood.

Most folks will turn away from the reality of it. The Wikileaks folks will continue to get a bit of press. People will hear the stories, gasp about it over the water coolers at work, go back to their desks and order some stuff from Amazon.

#44523 - 11/29/10 11:58 AM Re: Wikileaks Strikes Again! [Re: Fnord]
manofsteel Offline

Loc: Indiana U.S.
Even if the Gov't was screwing us there would be no change I completely agree. People would complain and moan about it but noone would take a stand and lead into battle with the Gov't. It is a good thought but if you look at the masses it is like watching a talk show. No matter what happens they all just sit there and scream and yell. Hopefully one day everyone will wake up and relize that we are all being played. Who knows, maybe one day someone will rise up against the masses. And probably end up dead.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.