Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#44692 - 12/07/10 01:47 AM Movie Recommendations
HeimiricIX Offline
pledge

Loc: Mexico City.
I've been watching a lot of movies recently, some old and some new and I wanted to share a bit of them here.

Call of Cthulhu

I just watched this movie which is a adaptation of Lovecraft's story by the same name by these guys and I have to say is by far one of the best Lovecraft adaptations I have seen.

It's loyal to the original story and captures a bit of the atmosphere of the same as well, which is a lot to say since most Lovecraft adaptations look mostly like parodies.

Without giving into big story changes or great FX this movie finally does it.

Totally Recommend it.

The Midnight Meat Train

Now from another master of Horror comes this. Adaptation from the short story of the same name this is a movie that really gets Barker essence into it.

A few changes were made from the original story but nothing too big nor too important, it's enjoyable, crude, and beautifully well done.

A great horror movie to watch on a dark night.

Trick R' Treat

This is a bit out of season but nevertheless, this movie has something most modern horror movies lacks, a good entertaining story.

Four interwoven stories that tells you what happen if you find yourself breaking a Halloween rule.

It's a great, great watch. A instant classic, at least in my book.

Best.

#44945 - 12/15/10 03:53 AM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: HeimiricIX]
manofsteel Offline

Loc: Indiana U.S.
I have to agree with you and also say so many people are so caught up into todays movies that they could learn a lot from the oldies. I still have to say my favorite is The Exorcist. The old Friday the 13th adn Halloween's are good too and then there are the cheaper ones like 976-EVIL.

#44983 - 12/15/10 09:33 PM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: HeimiricIX]
Harvey Offline
stranger

If you're big on Lovecraft style horror , you'll love John Carpenters In the Mouth of Madness [contains whole sections of uncredited HPL text]. Much like Lovecraft, this film left me quite uneasy on first sitting. A rare thing.

Cigarette Burns is in a similar vein, possessing something of a King in Yellow feel. Well worth a look.

I'm a great fan of early Wes Craven - Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyse, The People Under the Stairs, Nightmare on Elm St [I just can't bring myself to watch the remake. Robert Englund = Fred Krueger. Period] etc.

George Romero was great, but his recent efforts have left me cold. I really enjoyed the various Return of the Living Dead films. ROTLD3 was like a zombie apocalypse take of Romeo and Juliet - and bloody brilliant for that absurdity.

Of more recent times, the Ginger Snaps trilogy seemed to be heading in the right direction. The series was so successful that a shameless big budget [relatively, anyway] ripoff was commissioned - Jennifer's Body. Despite my bias for Megan Fox [an angel! ], it was great horror movie.

#45048 - 12/16/10 09:38 PM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: Harvey]
HeimiricIX Offline
pledge

I have seen In the Mouth of Darkness which is an obvious hommage to Lovecraft yet I do not believe it does capture Lovecraft's essence in it. It is a fun movie to watch but not that good.

Cigarette Burns, now that is a movie I enjoy, though I recognize it is not a great film either, the story degrades at some point (lack of imagination? Or of budget?) yet for the most part it is well done. I recommend this one completely, if you can find it, over here is a bit difficult to find.

Wes Craven's golden age, totally agree, recent attempts (and not so recent, ehem, like with Scream) are far from being even shadows of what Craven originally did. I believe I'll schedule some friday night Craven soon.

As for Ginger Snaps, I only watched the first one, it was fun, but nothing special and had no idea of the others, I'll look for them. And Jennifer´s Body, I wasn't able to watch it, my wife promised to castrate me if I did. Still not sure why.

Best!

#45050 - 12/16/10 11:10 PM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: HeimiricIX]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Temple of Set Reading List #7: HPL/Films:

F7A. The Curse. 1987. Claude Akins. MA: “Interesting treatment of HPL’s The Colour Out of Space.”

F7B. Die, Monster, Die! 1965. Boris Karloff, Nick Adams. MA: “Another shot at The Colour Out of Space, much more stylized and remote from the original than #F7A.”

F7C. Re-Animator. 1985 Jeffrey Combs, Bruce Abbott. MA: “A charmingly horrible adaptation of HPL’s early series of short stories Herbert West-Reanimator.”

F7D. From Beyond. 1986. Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton. MA: “Since audiences survived #F7C, the same gang returned with this somewhat more startling HPL-theme film - not very true to the story, as Howard was not into black leather S&M, but reasonably Yuggothy.”

F7E. The Dunwich Horror. 1970. Sandra Dee, Dean Stockwell, Ed Begley, Sr., Sam Jaffe. MA: “The first ‘modern’ HPL film. Sandra Dee was added to the story to give it a female victim, and there is nothing physically unusual about Wilbur Whateley, although Stockwell portrays him weirdly enough. The only appearance by the ‘Old Ones’ is as a group of hippies dancing through the meadows, which is a new one for this HPL-fan.” [Note: There was a recent TV-remake of TDH, of which a cameo by Stockwell was its only redeeming feature.]

F7F. The Haunted Palace. Vincent Price, Lon Chaney Jr. MA: “For some odd reason, this film is fully titled ‘Edgar Allen Poe’s The Haunted Palace. In actuality it has nothing to do with Poe; the story is adapted from HPL’s novel The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward. It is a loose adaptation, fun for CDWophiles.”

F7G. The Resurrected. Live Home Video, 1991 (ISBN 1-55658-765-1). MA: “A superb rendition of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, true to the original except moved forward to contemporary time.”

F7H. Dagon. 2001. MA: “Director Stuart Gordon, who gave us #F7C & #F7D, really outdid himself with this one, which is essentially HPL’s The Shadow Over Innsmouth reset [interestingly/convincingly] to a decrepit Spanish fishing village. As is usual with HPL protagonists, things start creepy and get progressively worse. Don’t watch this one late at night, alone, or if you’re planning a Spanish coastal vacation.”

#45052 - 12/17/10 12:57 AM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
HeimiricIX Offline
pledge

Oh boy, I really hope I can find those, I have only seen the last one.

You can add these others there, Dr. Aquino, both worth it.

Call of Cthulhu - 2005

And.

Cthulhu - 2007
This one is a very interesting take of the Shadow over Innsmouth on modern times, I was a bit sceptical about this one but it was worth it in the end.

Best.

#45092 - 12/17/10 07:51 PM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: HeimiricIX]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

And here comes HPL's The Whisperer in Darkness.

#45121 - 12/18/10 10:26 AM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
manofsteel Offline

And another one is "The House Of Usher". Old but good.

#45135 - 12/18/10 01:18 PM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: manofsteel]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: manofsteel
And another one is "The House Of Usher". Old but good.

That would be Poe, not Lovecraft. I agree that the 1960 Roger Corman film is one of the most exquisite portrayals Vincent Price ever did.

Then there is this recent remake, which I haven't seen but sounds hilarious:

Originally Posted By: Amazon reviewer "dustydog"
This movie is a letdown in many ways, but some may find it amusing. The story updates Poe's classic short story, which is fine enough to do, but the result is flat. The dialog is leaden, the acting wooden. Overall the emoting is high school thespian club caliber. The lead actor, Michael Cardelle, is certainly a beauty but he seems more suited to be starring in an underwear catalog. Others have commented on how the house and the Usher siblings look like they are deteriorating, but you may disagree. Roderick Usher (Frank Mentier) looks rather healthy and only talks of his sensitivity to light (hence the fashionable dark glasses). His interest in photographing the hired help shirtless and then they seem to become ghosts is an odd twist, especially since the ghosts in various shades of tight boxer briefs don't seem to be able to touch the living, but merely do some sort of hand and mouth hovering, inches away from Victor's luscious torso. Friend/lover Victor calls Usher, "Ush" but considering the absolutely awesome bulge in Roderick's tight black briefs, "Rod" may have been a better nickname. The actress playing Madeline (Jaimyse Haft), looks unhinged, mentally over the top, but not physically ill--unless you don't like Shelly Duvall types. She seems to be wearing the gooiest, stickiest lip-gloss, but the kissing scenes are mainly between the two male leads anyway. As for the house, no attempt is made to make it look like a face, as in Poe's story. It looks like a very nice mansion. The only sign of "deterioration" is that at one point two planks of wood and a piece of plaster suddenly fall onto the floor (evidently from above, but we are not shown even where). The rest of the place is bright, spanking new. Even the outdoor sculptures look pristine, not weather beaten at all. The movie is shot on HD video, so there is only sharp focus, none of the lovely depth of field inherent in actual film and the so-called fall of the house is done with cheap CGI. There is, however, a surprise ending that is actually rather cool.

If you like the original Poe story, you might want to pick up a copy of Robert McCammon's Usher's Passing sequel, which does full justice to the eerieness & decadence of the Poe original. [Note that used paperback copies can be had very inexpensively.]

#45302 - 12/20/10 11:50 AM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
manofsteel Offline

Thank you very much for I will have to check it out. There a lot of them out there that many people have never discovered. I know that it is a different writer but I do think Lovecraft had a better broad spectrum of movies. Thanks a lot for your reccomendation.

#48183 - 02/06/11 05:52 AM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: manofsteel]
unrested Offline
stranger

Loc: Osaka, Japan
if i may i would like to contribute a few of my favorite asian films:

4bia - 4 indonesian tales of horror. the first one about knocked me out of my chair.

thirst - a korean tale of a vampire in love with a mortal but extremely depressing and twisted. no twilight glitter vamps here only the super gritty type.

kokuhaku - also known as Confessions. entered into international film contests world wide by japan. last year was Okuribito (Departures). its a psychotic murder mystery with incredible plot twists and an atmosphere that thrusts the viewer into the most depraved depths of mental illness.

#48585 - 02/10/11 06:44 PM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: unrested]
Gueheriet Offline
stranger

If you speak spanish you can also check out "La Herencia Valdemar" and its sequel, they are not the best HPL based movies but they are entertaining to say the least.
The best movie I´ve seen lately is Valhalla Rising, I can only recommend it to everybody. It reminded me of "Aguirre: The Wrath of God" but with vikings and a mysterious one eyed main character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlcfUzxxBDw

#48669 - 02/11/11 12:13 PM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: Gueheriet]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I watched Valhalla Rising yesterday and it blew my mind. To me, it is a Nietzschean tale and I can't express the depth it has. Of course, depth is largely subjective when it comes to movies and often entirely depends upon its viewer.

Many will be bored while watching it, expecting vikings and fast-paced action. It doesn't provide that at all.

Still, I was mesmerized from the beginning to the end. That doesn't happen very often.

A must see for any satanist that prefers content, even if he delivers it himself while watching.

D.

#48714 - 02/11/11 09:46 PM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: Diavolo]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
I saw clips for Valhalla Rising a while back and wanted to see it. Now I'm going to have to see if the local video store has gotten it in. I'll let you know how it is from my perspective. ;\)

#48725 - 02/12/11 03:16 AM Re: Movie Recommendations [Re: Diavolo]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

I think my opinion of VH is congruent with Diavolo's. The film follows a very severe structure, and it's recommended that you turn off all expectations towards what you're going to see. It's reminiscent of "Kooyaqatsi" and "Powaqatsi" (spelling Inuit names from memory isn't my strong suit) in that it presents a sequence of events and mise-en-scenes, but the narrative in VH is more directed and intentional.

Not to be watched while tired and inattentive, when you would much prefer something light and entertaining. Watching it in the right mindset will blow your mind. I was fortunate.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.