Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#44407 - 11/22/10 06:02 PM Unusual Family Homes
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

http://www.marsdenarchive.com/library/images.php?pg=2&srcher=&cat=00000014

I thought you guys might enjoy these images. (hope the link works)

A few years ago I wrote a book for my niece and I needed an image of a haunted house for a description of a house which I included in the book. The image I chose came from The Marsden Archive and can be found on Page 2, MA-C-122, and is called Duntroon Castle.

I have always had a fascination with the aesthetics of haunted houses, nooks and crannies, crumbling castles, cold streaming ivy covered walls, dusty studies crammed with piles of obscure books and very old graveyards. This may be regarded as a fairly cliché sort of interest, but it exists nonetheless.

Anyway, enjoy and comment if you like them, and post your own links to haunted houses, castles, graveyards etc. if you wish to.

P.S. Castle Frankenstein can be located on Page 4, MA-EG-669. (I want to buy it and live there permanently. Just me and my lady and maybe a hound, if it doesn’t make much noise at night).

#44408 - 11/22/10 07:24 PM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: ]
Clarence Offline
pledge

Whilst not "haunted", Frank Lloyd Wright’s Ennis House is almost certainly doomed due to the shoddy materials used in its construction. Pity. I love art deco. Currently asking about seven million.

http://images.epk.com/Ennis_House_front_view_2005.jpg

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0115712ff6c2970b-800wi

#44410 - 11/22/10 07:52 PM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
If you fancy the Ennis-Brown House ["on Haunted Hill"], the Ramon Novarro House, designed by F.L. Wright's son Lloyd Wright, is not far away.

I'm still a fan of the Klein Bottle House in Australia - a pad to gladden Cthulhu's heart!

The last I heard, the Albion Castle in San Francisco is still for sale at around $2.5M - not bad, particularly with all those spooky underground caverns.

#44413 - 11/22/10 08:22 PM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
If you fancy the Ennis-Brown House ["on Haunted Hill"], the Ramon Novarro House, designed by F.L. Wright's son Lloyd Wright, is not far away.

And still another of his is Sowden House with all of its mystique in the "did the Dahlia die here?" vein.

I really like Albion Castle, hadn't heard of it until your mention. I'm going to have to research that one a little \:\)

Edited by Fnord (11/22/10 08:27 PM)

#44414 - 11/22/10 08:32 PM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Yes, love the Klein House Dr. with all its angles. Sheesh I think LaVey would have been impressed by that thing. Bound to drive someone mad. I would like to visit there if get down south again.

Also liked the Albion Castle in S.F.

I like the Corvin Castle in Transylavania, Page 2 of the Marsden Archive MA-C-585. This thing is monolithic.

#44416 - 11/22/10 09:53 PM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: ]
Jake999 Offline

Psyche and I toured the Villa Katherine in Quincy, IL. It sits on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River.

It was built in 1990 for Mr. W. George Metz, a railroad magnate, by George H. Behrensen, at a cost of $7,000. That's about $178,125 in today's dollars. Metz apparently thought this romantic Moorish style "castle" would win the heart of fair Katherine... it didn't. She hated it. Never stepped foot inside.

#44417 - 11/22/10 10:12 PM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: Jake999]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Nice one Jake, this story reminds me a little of Citizen Kane and Xanadu.

I think Kane stated that he built Xanadu for Susan Alexander, but she hated it, although she did live there for a while before leaving Kane.

Xanadu is like some sort of sprawling, never - ending and never - completed monster.

Some lines from the movie in regards to Xanadu:

“Here, on the deserts of the Gulf coast, a private mountain was commissioned and successfully built. One hundred thousand trees, twenty thousand tons of marble are the ingredients of Xanadu's mountain.

Contents of Xanadu's palace: paintings, pictures, statues, the very stones of many another palace — a collection of everything so big it can never be catalogued or appraised; enough for ten museums; the loot of the world.

Xanadu's livestock: the fowl of the air, the fish of the sea, the beast of the field and jungle. Two of each; the biggest private zoo since Noah. Like the Pharaohs, Xanadu's landlord leaves many stones to mark his grave. Since the Pyramids, Xanadu is the costliest monument a man has built to himself.”

Many of those palaces the 19th century robber barons and the twentieth century capitalist emperors built are astounding.

#44419 - 11/23/10 01:20 AM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
A short drive up the Hudson from NYC is Lyndhurst, in the heart of Headless Horseman country. When Dan Curtis was invited to make a Dark Shadows feature film during the heyday of the original 1960s' television series, he needed a real "Collinwod", not just some photos and sound-stages. Lyndhurst was it, as you'll see if you watch House of Dark Shadows. Then-Priestess III° Lilith Sinclair and I drove up to tour it for the Church of Satan's Third Eastern Regional Conclave in 1972, but she got a great deal from the Statler Hilton in NYC instead, so ERC3 went there and had its banquet at the restaurant across from the "Bramford" (Dakota) whose famous chocolate mousse inspired the infamous Minnie Castevet dessert in Rosemary's Baby.

#44431 - 11/24/10 06:34 AM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thank you for sharing. I think my heart has just been taken by that one in Lynhurst, Dr. A. That is absolutely exquisite inside and out. I think I've fallen in love with the bed in the south bedroom, the table and chairs in the dining room and the ceiling in that room is to die for. The craftsmanship that went behind all of that.....oh, just speaks for itself on so many levels. I don't normally like pillars at an entry way, but the way those are connected with the arches and then the arches are carried out in the entry way before the vestibule, yes, I could most definitely make an exception. And that vestibule....absolutely breath taking with pointed arches and all the glass. Yes, I'm a sucker for Gothic and Medieval architecture.

My leanings tend to go in the direction of Irish, Romanian, Scottish, Hungarian, German, Italian, and of course, some "American" castles. Most of those lines are in my blood, although there isn't even a touch of Romanian or Italian that we know of. I think though, just as much as the outside of those buildings are important, that what is done inside, to include furniture, is just as important. Each piece should lend to it's surroundings and I adore items that are beautifully crafted. Details, that's what I'm all about. I don't fancy the new "modern" castles much, that are more in the "art deco" style. There's something about a castle that has or at least looks to have, "lived through the times" that really calls out to me.

If I had the money, although I loathe the cold, I would go out of my way to purchase such a place as..... http://www.castlemagic.com/color.html

That place is a dream come true, on so many levels.

Or I would build one in the South and furnish it with antiques that would be aquired through autions. Things that were built through out the centuries, and someone had really taken care to design with their hands, and not just pressed or poured into molds. Hell, I've done some wood working through out my life, I could even design and build a few pieces myself.

Perhaps I was just born in the wrong time period but oh to DREAM....

#44628 - 12/05/10 05:05 PM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: Nyte]
Master Magick Offline
pledge

Loc: New York, USA
Also not far from NYC is a real treat... not primarily a residence but included one. On the Hudson not far from West point & Bear Mtn.
"on Pollepel Island, is a crumbling hulk of intricate concrete and brickwork that was once Bannerman's Arsenal. In 1900, Francis Bannerman VI bought the island to store ammunition for his prosperous military surplus business; more specifically, when he bought 90% of the US army surplus after the Spanish-American War ended and needed a place outside of New York City to store it all. The arsenal (sometimes referred to as "Bannerman's Castle") was constructed from 1901 to 1908, and was modeled similar to the architecture of an old Scottish castle."
Of course the arsenel suffered an explosion and numerous fires after Banermans death and is the subject of an attempt to restore it. I believe there are both authorized and unauthorized tours available...

http://www.artificialowl.net/2008/07/bannermans-castle-abandoned-military.html

#44650 - 12/06/10 04:45 AM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
The architect for my house... I believe he studied with Frank Lloyd Wright in Chicago... Henry Trost... house about 90 something years old.

I think the kids and I are the worst thing in the house... if there are ghosts... they just chill. We are scarier.

#44660 - 12/06/10 09:57 AM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: daevid777]
Nyte Offline

That's a very cool building/castle Master Magick. I love the front of it, with the high round look outs at each front corner. I bet in it's day that building was breath-taking.

To Daevid: We use to live in a house that was built in the late 1800's, the original Isaly's home in Mansfield, OH. It had been added onto several times through out the years as his family grew with his dairy farms. A beautiful old brick house. It wasn't the most efficient design, but it was a fun house with ceilings that were 12ft high, and room after room, to include a finished attic, non-formal dining room, a formal dining room with a pass through window and pocket doors, a sun room off of the master bedroom, another sun porch off of the front of the house, and even a full basement. 3 full floors of fun. We moved simply because it was going to cost us over $400 a month in gas to heat the danged thing when natural gas started rising in price, and that was with the fire place burning around the clock. I truly miss that place some times, but I'm glad I don't have the bills from it any more.

The house would creak and groan at some of the weirdest times. Sometimes you would swear there was a party going on in the attic. Those that knew the original family told us the Isaly's three boys use to share the attic as a huge bedroom, so it wouldn't have surprised us had they thrown parties up there. It was an interesting house to live in, that's for sure!

#44771 - 12/09/10 05:15 AM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: Nyte]
daevid777 Offline

Nyte -

Gas Prices have gone up ridiculously... and my boiler had been converted to gas... I have a boiler from 1910... I think Freddy Krueger was burned in it...

Radiant heat, now called hydronic heating... is a nice thing, but way too expensive, depending on the fuel. I'll have to work on that.

Space heaters now, but I love the fireplace... nothing like a fire...

I think $100,000... and I can make the house quite nice... until then, a room at a time. And it is getting done!

Maybe some solar panels... I'll work on that...

Go on with the show, sorry!

Daeve.

#44773 - 12/09/10 05:19 AM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: daevid777]
daevid777 Offline

These pictures are of "Family Homes"?

Like the Addams' family?

These are mostly castles... people live there? Families?

#44884 - 12/13/10 12:21 PM Re: Unusual Family Homes [Re: daevid777]
Nyte Offline

Daevid, I would love to see the boiler/heater! I bet that has sooo much character.

We have a fireplace here, but with life being way too busy this past summer, we only have enough wood to burn during an occassional fire. If my other half doesn't find a new job down south and we end up staying here, we will end up stocking up on wood through out the summer for the fireplace next winter. I don't want to stay for another winter. I want to be where I could easily consider it much warmer. Right now, that would be just about any where else south of here. The wind chill is 5 and suppose to drop well below that. Wind gusts are between 10 to 50 miles per hour. I've had enough winters to last me the rest of my life. I want to plant Orchids in the trees!

I'd like to find some place, much like your home, that can be converted to "renewable" energies. Any conversion takes money but in the long run is well worth it, from everything I've read. I like the idea of not having to rely on the electric company, and maybe even them buying the energy from us. A bit of property would be nice too.

I love old castles and old homes. Something about them just draws me in, a "calling" I can't even begin to explain. You'd be amazed at how many people really do live in castles. The one I posted is currently a resort, but from what I gathered it didn't start out that way.

Our old house was big enough, the youngest learned to ride his trike in the house. The driveway was old and beat to shit along with the sidewalks, so learning outside was not worth it, at all. Plus, the old house was great entertainment during the winters. Oh the fun and the things we would come up with to keep ourselves entertained!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.