Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#4518 - 02/25/08 01:29 AM The Catcher in the Rye
blackdragon31560 Offline
pledge

Loc: Hell Paso, TX
personally one of favorite novels to this day, i think its a must read. I was just wondering what is everyone else's opinion of this novel was?

like i said, i personally loved it, I'd say add it to the media room.

~ Niccolo Machiavelli

#4563 - 02/26/08 05:29 PM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: blackdragon31560]
Rossums Offline
stranger

Loc: Glasgow
ha!i just finished reading it actually,its the first fiction book i have read in over 2 years.I dont like fiction much,i always feel like i should be doing something else when reading a story.This book made me feel odd though..Like i was a baby trying to jab shapes into there corresponding holes,and failing.Now if we put this circle into this triangle ahhrkgg >_< DAMM YOU SALINGER! perhaps if you give me a softer shape i can put it in any of these holes!I think i dont half know what i mean nor nufink,hmm i think i have made a mistake leaving a reply to this \:\( ahh well mistakes are the portals of discovery i'll have you know!yes well.Im indifferent towards this booky wook.Although that Caulfeild fellow needs his mouth washed out with soap!yes that will do.
#5539 - 03/13/08 11:49 AM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: blackdragon31560]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Truthfully? I kind of hated it. Though the book obviously contains a story, (we follow Holden Caulfield along during his various exploits at a private school which he is flunking out of and on to his night out in New York where he calls a hooker to his hotel room but then chickens out) I was left wondering "what is the point?" The rambling thoughts that come out of Caulfield's head are completely asinine. How it came to be such a hallmark of literature is beyond me. I can see why others would like it, but as a matter of personal taste, it was not really my style. Therefore, I would not recommend it to anyone if they asked me. Of course, since I feel so strongly about it in a negative way, that might just incite someone to read it anyway.

Homo Homini Lupus

#5781 - 03/16/08 05:11 PM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: Draculesti]
Pan420 Offline
pledge

Loc: New Mexico
I personally thought the book lacked the luster that the hype surrounding it made it out to be. Controversal yes but a good read, maybe if you are a preteen in middle school. For my opinoin is meaningless it is really up to you if you liked it or not me I disliked it.

"Use your fist and not your mouth",
Marilyn Manson

#6327 - 03/24/08 09:41 PM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: Pan420]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
Mmm, I had to read it in my second year of high school and, I'd have to say I didn't like to it too much. Agreeing with what Pan said, it is a book made out to be bigger than it actually is. I read it and was dissapointed. It lacked excitement and I couldn't seem to keep my interest in it. Although it may have been that it simply was, not my type of book.

#17134 - 12/29/08 08:10 AM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: PigFeeder]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
I think a lot of the original lure to the book by the general public was due to the fact that it was the book that Mark Chapman had on him when he shot John Lennon.
There was a conspiracy theory that went along with the possibility that Chapman was under some kind of hypnosis, and "The catcher in the Rye" was a key factor with whoever was "controlling" him, ie, a word, sentence, or maybe even the heading of the book being a trigger to enable Chapman to be "remote controlled" by the external forces that considered Lennon a public pest, and totally against everything they were striving for(Nixon maybe?) The FBI had also compiled a rather large file on Lennon prior to his murder as they had been investigating him for some time.
The book was even banned for a while, I don't know how long for though.
The whole conspiracy theory alone has me interested enough to read it, just to see what all the fuss was about, though I haven't heard any stunning reviews on it anywhere.

#18329 - 01/16/09 10:28 PM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: spiderbreeder]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
The above synopsis that I gave (sparse though it may be) is about the extent of it. However, I'm not one of those people who likes to tell others not to waste their time at something. Your experience with the book may be entirely different from mine or anyone else's. I can only tell you that my experience with the book was not favorable. I agree with what was said by others, in that it is a book that is touted by many to be a wonderful book that, unfortunately, does not live up to the hype. For that reason, I am usually wary of books that are surrounded by a lot of hype.

Homo Homini Lupus

#18393 - 01/18/09 04:12 AM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: Draculesti]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Same here.

If a copy happened to make it's way into my presence, I might see fit to flip through it, but I've never felt the need to track it down.

Thanks for mentioning it here though, gives me a little bit more insight into the book other than the Lennon thing...

#18394 - 01/18/09 04:37 AM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: spiderbreeder]
Jake999 Offline

It's a different book for a different age. The time it was written in was a time in which the events that happened in the book were different... it was about a small town boy finding the world beyond the small town values and ideals. The adventures that Holden experienced by today's standards are merely quaint, but when the book was written (1951), it was unusual because of the profanity, and the depictions of prostitution and brushes with homoeroticism.

It's very much a coming-of-age novel that, because of the changing times, might not translate well to today's kids.

#18420 - 01/18/09 08:51 PM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: Jake999]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I think that's why I was never drawn to reading it. In my sophomore (or was it junior?) English class, we had a choice of 4 or 5 "classic" books to choose from, one of which was The Catcher In the Rye. Those who picked similar books were made to congregate into groups to discuss and fill out the end-of-chapter questionnaires. The only book that caught my attention was 1984--all the other offerings seemed so lame. I ended up being the only one in the class who wanted to read it, so I ended up working alone (which was more to my preference anyway). I tore through that book in two days, filled out all the chapter questionnaire homework waaayyyyy ahead of schedule, and got to sit in class listening to my cd player and draw to my heart's content, while everyone else poked along with their novel of choice. "1984" was one of those books that had a profound influence on my psyche, and I'll never forget it.

The Catcher In The Rye was just too damn innocent and boring to me. The oh-so-typical coming of age and whatnot just didn't strike a chord within me, and I seriously tried to read it. I couldn't get past the first few chapters. "Bland" would be a better description of how I felt (and still feel) about that book. But each to their own. One's epiphany can not match up with another's, period.

#18423 - 01/18/09 09:25 PM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: Nemesis]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
It found it to be a worthwhile read, but it annoyed me how overemotional and indecisive the narrator was. Yes, he was supposed to be written that way, but coming-of-age novels tend to frustrate me anyhow.

#22176 - 03/18/09 02:19 AM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: blackdragon31560]
The Antagonist Offline
stranger

Loc: Los Angeles
In high school, I loved this book. I loved Holden. He was awesome. I'm sure most teenagers liked this book. It's a good read. It reminds me of my days in high school. This book takes you back to your own teenage days.

If I read it today, I wouldn't think the same of it. It's definitely a book for teens.

#22189 - 03/18/09 05:19 AM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: The Antagonist]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
(not a reply to anyone in particular)

I read the book...I had to read it again and again to remember how it ended because for some reason it never left any sort of impression at all on me.

Even if you want to call it avante garde for it's time, it's still NYC, and therefore sort of not-so-special considering everyone who does NOT live within visiting distance of that city considers it the everything capital of the universe. Hell, around here (The South), we think of it as the cesspool of the country, only eclipsed by - perhaps - L.A....and anything that happens in a story set in NYC is considered plausible. Aliens could abduct half the population and zombies could eat the brains of the rest and we'd totally believe it not only possible, but inevitable...

#22211 - 03/18/09 07:22 AM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: ceruleansteel]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
What you wrote is funny.
New York City is still safer than New Orleans.
If anything, it has become mellower, and kinda boring.
Lots of clubs are gone, the current and last mayor killed the city. Between the noise bills, the smoking bans, the liquor licenses, and dance licences, the city as it was is gone.

Now its Disney land, yuppified Lower east side, and just kinda quiet after 2am even though our bars close at 4am.

That book was a part of the time period it was written, but it is also about a man insearch of himself.
There never really is an ending to that search.

Morgan

#22244 - 03/19/09 03:51 AM Re: The Catcher in the Rye [Re: Morgan]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
 Quote:
New York City is still safer than New Orleans

Okay, you got me there...but then again, we're a couple of white chicks...and I can't fight worth a damn. You're from New York, though, so you can whip some ass, right? You have to fend off the zombies and aliens all the time.

Back to the book, though...

I had a problem with Holden straight out of the gate and that problem was that he was lazy and had no sense of personal accountability. I think that was what put me off so much. It seems that he pictured himself a tough and savvy street kid when in reality he was merely a spoiled and stupid upper middle class wannabe.

Reading this character's thoughts is like an exercise in lierary ADD.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.