Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#45697 - 12/27/10 05:40 AM Satanic Mechanics
Lamar Offline

Loc: Alabama
Merry Chrimbus.

So I finally paid off my car...shit I'd say this last August. 1989 Ford Mustang GT, 5.0, black. I bought the car used from a guy I went to high school with. He originally built it for racing but sold it, probably because he bought an 06' Mustang that'd haul ass, probably again for racing. Anyway, I bought it from him and right when I got it home I started noticing little things that had to be replaced. No biggy, I enjoyed working on it after waiting so long to finally pay it off. In fact, I kind of was glad I had to replace some things on it just because I got to work on it and spend some time under the hood (and sometimes under the car itself). Now, I'm no mechanic. I didn't know shit about engines prior to buying it. I read and still read about how engines work and the electrical stuff that goes on to make a car work so I could fix my car, and I got my dad to help. Anyway, as it turns out I really love working on cars. I'm in a pickle now though, got fired from Walmart so no cash flow, which means I can't buy tires, belts, etc. Starting college in January though, so I might can use a little money from my grant to help out with my car.

So far all I need is tires, new battery, rewire my fans, and new clutches and I should be good. Donations are welcome. Haha.

Do we have any mechanics here? Or people who like cars and working on them?

#45710 - 12/27/10 12:29 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Lamar]
Aklo Offline

Quote:
Anyway, as it turns out I really love working on cars. I'm in a pickle now though, got fired from Walmart so no cash flow,

Dude. Mechanics make decent money. Isn't this obvious?

Stop saying stuff like this though

Quote:
Now, I'm no mechanic.

You didn't know shit until you did some research and some work. Now you know some shit.

Down to the garage with you. "Will work for parts."

#45714 - 12/27/10 02:50 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Lamar]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Has this car ever been roadworthy since you owned it, have you had it registered?

You apparently need a car to get to collage and back I am assuming this is what you are getting at. Now while the 5.0 ford engine otherwise known as a 302 is a hell of a dependable engine, any engine will suffer premature wear and failure if built up. In other words you seem proud this car was built by a high school kid to race, you should probably be worried itís beat to crap. I might also add from experience that every performance item added dependability would suffer.

The solution is easy though not one you may want to hear. Sell the car and buy something more economical, go to school get a better education and get a better job. Make good money and buy whatever damn car you want.

Shit look at the guy who started Pizza Hut sold his Camaro to start a business then years later hunted it down and bought it for a reward.

Of course there are other options that increase your risk like buying used tires and finding used belts at a local junkyard. Just remember using such parts you car is to go to school and work and back no racing.

What was it you were going to college for?

~T~

#45716 - 12/27/10 03:10 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Aklo]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Aklo
Dude. Mechanics make decent money. Isn't this obvious?

Certified mechanics can make a good living of course there is much investment in education and tools. The O.P. said he is going to college so I think it is safe to say he isn't pursuing a mechanics position as a career.

Stop saying stuff like this though

Why if he isnít a mechanic should he call himself one? Using this thinking if you played baseball and learned the rules then youíre a baseball player or since you masturbate are you simply a masturbator?

You didn't know shit until you did some research and some work. Now you know some shit.

There is a term in the auto repair industry what you describe is a ďspurtĒ. No offense meant to the O.P.

Just donít break bubbaís mommaís car dooin a toonup or heís gonna be pissed. Mechanics carry liability insurance to cover their asses as well.

Thanks

~T~

#45743 - 12/29/10 08:18 AM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: ta2zz]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Umm, knowing something about how a car works and doing some repairs on one, DOES NOT make one a mechanic. Hell, I took classes to learn how to do maintenance on my own car (a '75 Cutlass S at the time), as well as learned how to rebuild a motor from the block up with a group in the class. I was fairly proud of myself and those I worked with, when ours was the only motor to actually turn over. Doesn't mean I'm even close to being a mechanic. Now I can just about tell what's wrong with my car when something starts to sound "funny", but there's no way in hell I'd be able to fix even 1/2 of the things that can go wrong, and I know better.

Have fun with that car, being it was "built for racing". Back yard "mechanics" don't always "know" what they're doing and a lot of work is done through trial and error. To boot, it's been raced, which means it'll probably nickel and dime you to death. Better find a better job than WalMart, you're gonna need it. If you decide that cars are your thing, find a good reputable shop and get in under a well established mechanic (you'll know by the fact customers will ask for him/her even for little things like oil changes) and ASE certification doesn't always mean they know what they're doing. I've seen ASE certified "mechanics" that couldn't figure out how to get an alternator off of a motor, so go and watch for a day or two, if you can. Watching them work will tell you a lot about what you want to learn and IF you want to learn from them.

Just my advice, considering my other half IS a mechanic by trade of over 23 years and still does all the maintenance and more on ALL of our vehicles. Friends, friends of friends, and family call regularly to get advice about their vehicles as well. It's incredible what kind of a reputation a well learned mechanic can establish.

The pay is not near what it should be for someone that is a mechanic. Small shops don't pay unless you own it. Big company type shops don't pay those that really do the work. The only way a mechanic really earns a living is to get on the racing circuit, and then you better have any certification you can obtain with years of experience (starting young of course), and be ready to travel a LOT. It's a rough line of work any way you go.

#45755 - 12/29/10 10:15 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Lamar]
Clarence Offline
pledge

Quote:

Hell yeah! I work on all my stuff. I'm not a mechanic, it's purely recreational. Great fun breaking out the spanners, getting dirty and tinkering with something you love.

Aklo has a great point:

Quote:

Show some enthusiasm and you might get a start. The majority of of work is generally just minor maintenance. Any monkey can do that... learn as you go.

And Nyte: Some mechanics, outside of racing, make upward of 200k [mining equipment, ships, aircraft etc]. I know that's not huge money or anything, but it beats working at a local workshop for a pittance. Same skills. Different pay.

#45763 - 12/30/10 11:22 AM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Clarence]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: Clarence

And Nyte: Some mechanics, outside of racing, make upward of 200k [mining equipment, ships, aircraft etc]. I know that's not huge money or anything, but it beats working at a local workshop for a pittance. Same skills. Different pay.

I know what you're saying Clarence but it's still not what it should be for keeping large equipment up and running, making the owners gobs of money. Being a mechanic that keeps things like airplanes up and flying without dumping a few hundred people on the ground should pay really well, you would think. But alas, that's not the case. Any more $200,000 a year is breaking even with a little extra in the bank, if you budget your money right, and that's just crazy to me. Especially considering the burden placed on a mechanic's shoulders of keeping something like a plane that carries thousands of people all over in good working order.

You said it right though Clarence. You're not a mechanic, you like tinkering on things you love. There's a difference. I watched my other half replace the timing belt, the tensioners, the guides, and water pump in my 2001 Dodge Intrepid. A tensioner had started to go, which could have meant a real mess or even a blown motor had I kept driving the car but I didn't chance it. I, never in a million years, imagined how much it took, until I saw my engine almost completely apart and was grateful I wasn't doing the work. The water pump is inside the front of the motor which was completely mind blowing to me. I've worked on older cars and had never seen anything like that before. I wouldn't have known where to begin, especially with an engine that has a computer system on it. My other half's knowledge and work as a mechanic saved us from having to buy a new car.

I wouldn't have trusted my father with something that major because he does "just tinker". He proved that with his own motorcycle that's now sitting in the garage for the 4th time torn apart because he read up on something he wanted to do to his bike, did it, and now it has a "tick" that he can't figure out why it keeps coming back no matter what he does. Changing the cam, the bearings, lifters, etc., on a bike that has a computer system isn't as simple as it use to be on the old bikes. He's got a beautiful $12,000+ bike that now sits in the garage, again, and may never run right without taking it to a mechanic that HAS done something like that before. It'll cost him a lot more than he's got into the parts and probably more new parts to get it running right again.

I've got many, many more stories like the one of my father, simply because I grew up in a place where everyone thought they were a mechanic because they had done an oil change, worked on brakes, or changed a timing belt on an older car. Failed projects sitting abundance in garages and money lost because they hadn't learned under someone that was a Mechanic. It's good to learn, but know your limits until you learn and do more and seek out someone with the knowledge that can really advance your own.

I see Mechanic as a title earned, not just rewarded to anyone that can do a bit of maintenance on a vehicle. Well learned mechanics have a special place in my heart. There's almost nothing better than sitting in a car that's built for racing (gutted, jump seats, roll cage, window nets, harnesses, wheely bars, the sound of open reinforced metal as the engine rpms change between gears....) and it hums at all the right times, with a nice chirp of the slicks between gears. Or on a bike that rumbles just right with a little twist of the throttle so you can feel the power under your ass. Yep, I've been around mechanics a lot and know what they CAN do. ;\)

**I hate to say this, but I think we've had a couple of similar discussions about job titles that are "earned" a few other times in this forum. One of the more recent I remember was Ta2zz talking about being a tatoo artist. It's all good, I hope he keeps "tinkering" and learns well. It's good to know how to work on his own vehicle, even if it's only simple maintenance and how to recognize when something else is wrong that is out of his league.

#45781 - 12/30/10 08:20 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Lamar]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
I would argue, that given the current sad state of affairs, there is little reason to go to college unless you are pursuing some degree that directly translates into a job that cannot be outsourced.

What are you going to school for?

Food for thought: I am 40, have been there and done that, and I think by most measures I am fairly successful. Think about what your really want to do and is there any money in that? I have personally managed to parlay my obsession with sex and violence in to a career.

I like to turn wrenches on hot rods, and in another life I was an Army helicopter mechanic. I would argue that most folks would be better off working on a career rather than going to school. A good mechanic in the right market can make a very nice living. Your average college grad leaves school with $100k+ in debt and a job at Starbucks.

Personally, I recommend most young men in your position join the military and figure out your likes and dislikes. If you still want to go to school your can do that on the GI Bill and you can take most of your PITA basic courses at an online university while you are still in service.

#45782 - 12/30/10 09:25 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Fist]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Fist
I recommend most young men in your position join the military and figure out your likes and dislikes. If you still want to go to school your can do that on the GI Bill and you can take most of your PITA basic courses at an online university while you are still in service.

Or do what I did: Go through undergraduate university on a full-tuition & expenses-paid, and salaried, ROTC scholarship. Upon graduation you're commissioned a 2Lt/Ensign. Then, also as I did [and assuming today's GI Bill also covers this] have the GI Bill pay all your graduate school expenses. While on active duty you can also take evening university courses where convenient, with the service picking up the tuition.

Here's the Army, Navy/Marines, and Air Force ROTC scholarship program information.

And of course there are also the five service academies.

#45783 - 12/30/10 09:39 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

AND... because in the military, it's FREE, and easy... CLEP many of your electives. You can get up to two years of credit for CLEP tests. Many civilian colleges accept them as well. (Civilian colleges often have a small charge for CLEP testing.)

What you do is select your elective, say, "Earth Sciences 101 - otherwise known as FUCKING ROCKS." Go to the library and read the book on the subject. In depth knowledge isn't that necessary. Cover the high points.

Next, schedule the CLEP test for Earth Sciences 101 through the school's testing office. They will have you come in on a specific day and take the CLEP test for your specific subject and, after you pass the test (30% is all you need in some cases) you get the credit for that class, just as if you had spent all of the hours in the seat, listening to lecture.

CLEP tests can save you time and money in getting your degree.

#46119 - 01/07/11 05:01 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Fist]
Lamar Offline

Originally Posted By: Fist
I would argue, that given the current sad state of affairs, there is little reason to go to college unless you are pursuing some degree that directly translates into a job that cannot be outsourced.

What are you going to school for?

Food for thought: I am 40, have been there and done that, and I think by most measures I am fairly successful. Think about what your really want to do and is there any money in that? I have personally managed to parlay my obsession with sex and violence in to a career.

I like to turn wrenches on hot rods, and in another life I was an Army helicopter mechanic. I would argue that most folks would be better off working on a career rather than going to school. A good mechanic in the right market can make a very nice living. Your average college grad leaves school with $100k+ in debt and a job at Starbucks.

Personally, I recommend most young men in your position join the military and figure out your likes and dislikes. If you still want to go to school your can do that on the GI Bill and you can take most of your PITA basic courses at an online university while you are still in service.

I'm majoring in music. I'm attending a two year community college then probably finish at a university, and then my masterplan is to attend Berkly college of music. I didn't really want to work so I went back to school.

Yeah no offense to military people here, but fuck joining the military. Good benefits like free college and stuff but that's not for me.

#46122 - 01/07/11 05:07 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: ta2zz]
Lamar Offline

Originally Posted By: ta2zz

Has this car ever been roadworthy since you owned it, have you had it registered?

You apparently need a car to get to collage and back I am assuming this is what you are getting at. Now while the 5.0 ford engine otherwise known as a 302 is a hell of a dependable engine, any engine will suffer premature wear and failure if built up. In other words you seem proud this car was built by a high school kid to race, you should probably be worried itís beat to crap. I might also add from experience that every performance item added dependability would suffer.

The solution is easy though not one you may want to hear. Sell the car and buy something more economical, go to school get a better education and get a better job. Make good money and buy whatever damn car you want.

Shit look at the guy who started Pizza Hut sold his Camaro to start a business then years later hunted it down and bought it for a reward.

Of course there are other options that increase your risk like buying used tires and finding used belts at a local junkyard. Just remember using such parts you car is to go to school and work and back no racing.

What was it you were going to college for?

~T~

It just needs some tender love and care haha. It's had the hell ran out of it I'm sure. Like I said before, it's just minor shit that needs to be replaced on it like a battery, tires, recovery tank for antifreeze and so on. It was a lesson though, as much as I love my car I'll never buy a used car again. Like my dad say's, your buying other people's problems.

#46123 - 01/07/11 05:11 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Clarence]
Lamar Offline

Originally Posted By: Clarence
 Quote:

Hell yeah! I work on all my stuff. I'm not a mechanic, it's purely recreational. Great fun breaking out the spanners, getting dirty and tinkering with something you love.

Aklo has a great point:

Quote:

Show some enthusiasm and you might get a start. The majority of of work is generally just minor maintenance. Any monkey can do that... learn as you go.

I still have a LOT of shit to learn about engines and stuff. The concept of an alternator is fucking incredable to me haha. Neat as hell what goes on to make a car function. But nah, I wouldn't say being a mechanic would be my thing, maybe a hobby when I learn way more stuff haha.

#46139 - 01/07/11 06:02 PM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Lamar]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I like working on cars, just nothing post 1980 or so... or anything with a computer on board.

I restored a '59 chevy while I was in high school. My folks let me have the back yard and I learned a ton about how cars work. My older brother is a mechanic and lent a hand when I asked for it (which was often) but I pretty much did it all myself and was proud of that car. It wasn't a show winner by any stretch, but I did the basic mechanical work and body work and laid down about 18 coats of black lacquer paint on it all by myself.

I also had a '47 chevy and a '57 chevy wagon. My brother took over the wagon and made a weekend racer out of it. Stripped everything out of it but the front seat. He got clocked at 135 in it... luckily as the cop was getting out his handcuffs he got an emergency call and told my brother if he ever saw the car again there was going to be more trouble than he could handle.

Eventually, the '57 submitted to the effects of a high torque engine on body rot and basically tore itself apart. That was the most brutal piece of machinery I've ever ridden in.

Right now I'm looking for the right '59 caddy. Barn fresh, no amateur restoration... just appropriately moldered for its age. I found a '60 that was perfect for my needs a year or so ago but decided to wait for a '59. Anyway... long love affair with the automobile (pre 1975) for me.

#46199 - 01/08/11 03:41 AM Re: Satanic Mechanics [Re: Fnord]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

The years you are talking about are a dream to work on. The last car I had that was still put together by human hands was my 64 Impala. There is something to be said when a 30 year old bolt is cracked for the first time since it was installed and it is as good as the day it was made.

New cars are just slammed together by robots. I stopped working on cars during the mid 80's. I had a mid 80's car that the interior fell apart from driving it. Everything was just screws slammed into slots. Horrible, kinda like a old Vega all put together with pins but at least they held.

~T~

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.