Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#46043 - 01/07/11 08:52 AM Re: New Huck Finn reprint - No more "N" word. [Re: mike616joaquin]
Autodidact Offline

Originally Posted By: mike616joaquin
To try and shine the light of what's socially or politically acceptable in the 21st Century onto a work that originated in a totally different era is beyond lunacy.

While I agree it shouldn't be done (despite my previous tongue-in-cheek comment above), it's perfectly understandable.

The fact is that this is a time-honored method of pushing one's own sociopolitical agenda. Note that malice is not required here; the most common form of "benevolent" agenda being an honest, but misguided, attempt to "do what's best for the children."

Changing history is as easy as changing what's taught to children.

#46048 - 01/07/11 10:03 AM Re: New Huck Finn reprint - No more "N" word. [Re: Autodidact]
mike616joaquin Offline
stranger

Loc: London, England
 Originally Posted By: Autodidact
 Originally Posted By: mike616joaquin
To try and shine the light of what's socially or politically acceptable in the 21st Century onto a work that originated in a totally different era is beyond lunacy.

Changing history is as easy as changing what's taught to children.

Totally in agreement with you on all counts.

#46056 - 01/07/11 11:21 AM Re: New Huck Finn reprint - No more "N" word. [Re: Nyte]
manofsteel Offline

Loc: Indiana U.S.
Screw politically correct. We don't have military fighting overseas and "everygoddamnwherelse" so we have to sorry about every word we say, and yaeh I made a new word. Freedom of speech and people understanding that was just the times. People know who they are I hope, if someone called me a cracker today I would not give a shit and I won"t tomorrow either. By the way, 50 years from now I won't expect an apology or anyone to feel bad for me either. Be adults and quit whining for fuck's sake.

#46058 - 01/07/11 11:31 AM Re: New Huck Finn reprint - No more "N" word. [Re: manofsteel]
Aklo Offline

There's a lot of money that revolves around the whining, though. Just in this case, the conflict is going to sell the new version of the book and also boost sales for the old version. This will increase racial tension a wee bit, reducing cooperation and creating another kind of market too. Keeping us divided, especially over irrelevant issues, is a big part of ruling us.

A whole lot of people are standing around the water cooler today talking about this one. And that means they aren't talking about how their insurance costs have gone up, for example. We have more troop movement right now than we ever did under George W, but the media isn't showing us any body-bags. Instead they are focused on skin-color again, holding their fingers up in scare quotes around the letter "N". And our off-white president is nodding and smiling and talking about "bringing people together".

It's a funny world. Rule it or be ruled by it.

#46064 - 01/07/11 12:38 PM Re: New Huck Finn reprint - No more "N" word. [Re: Diavolo]
Trapdoor Spider Offline
Banned Nazi.
stranger

Quote:
If we have to replace each word or idea ever written that could offend someone, we sure have a lot of work ahead of us. People are trying to be so PC, or demanding it, it becomes mind-numbing.

That's a great point. "They" are working toward that. They have made it, in some people, so that one is soo well trained that, even in the heat of an angry rant, words like nigger aren't even produced in the mind. You can't be politically incorrect because you don't know how to be. It's all part of plan. And i'm willing to bet my own blood that someone from Bnai Brith or the NAACP is behind it.

(edit) You know, this how full of bull shit this is. Look, you listen to any rap song, and nigger is in every other sentance. This has nothing to do with the word nigger, this is about altering the perception of the world the way it was. Someone is up to something and it has nothing to do with people being offended by a word.

Wasn't it in 1984 when Orwell wrote those who control the present control the past, those who control the past control the future?

Edited by Trapdoor Spider (01/07/11 01:21 PM)

#46083 - 01/07/11 02:25 PM Re: New Huck Finn reprint - No more "N" word. [Re: Aklo]
Autodidact Offline

This reminds me of the Louis C.K. skit about this. I think it's in "Chewed Up".

(paraphrased (probably badly))
"When some blond lady on CNN says 'the N word' then I think 'oh she means nigger'. Now you're making me say it, in my head. Why don't you fuckin' say it? Take some responsibility for the shitty words you want to use."

#46235 - 01/08/11 01:02 PM Re: New Huck Finn reprint - No more "N" word. [Re: Nemesis]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Quote:
Since black men in the US tend to be pretty insecure, it's not surprising that a mere word would immediately put them on the defensive. All one has to do is watch a rap video to see how they try to overcompensate by portraying themselves as badasses, pimps, and playas, driving ridiculous cars and living in homes that could house a couple boat loads of Tamil refugees.

Nailed it!

And that is because these guys grow up without a good male roll model to show them how a man is suppose to act.

#46384 - 01/10/11 11:04 AM Re: New Huck Finn reprint - No more "N" word. [Re: Fist]
manofsteel Offline

Loc: Indiana U.S.
They turn into what they hated when they were a kid cause that's all they know. Plus they saw they're mama going through hell and grew up hating men. Any way I think it all goes back to being politicallly correct which I say again is bullshit. That's the way it was, you can't change history no matter how you sugar coat it.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.