Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#46303 - 01/09/11 04:25 PM Hello. I am new here and have a few questions.
ClayMan Offline
stranger

Just so you know I am not a Satanist or Atheist. I'm an Agnostic and as you can guess that means I have questions. One would probity be for the believers in God and Satan. I know I probity won't get an answer for it here but I'll ask anyway.

Why would Satan punish people for doing things he likes to do himself? Wouldn't he reward them instead?

Question two. Why is it most of the Satanist I have met in real life seem to have taken the Christian religion and just do the opposite or take themes from the religion and tweak them to their liking? That just seems really hypocritical and unoriginal.

And finally. Everyone knows Satanist do not like Christian religion. But my question is what do you think of other religions even long dead religions such as the one the Vikings believed in?

Edited by ClayMan (01/09/11 04:27 PM)

#46304 - 01/09/11 04:29 PM Re: Hello. I am new here and have a few questions. [Re: ClayMan]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

As a friendly suggestion, I would like to point out that this site comes with a Media Room, where you can read core texts on Satanism and its roots. If you still have questions after reading the Satanic Bible, I guess there are lots of people who would be more than happy to answer them.

#46308 - 01/09/11 04:37 PM Re: Hello. I am new here and have a few questions. [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
ClayMan Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: SkaffenAmtiskaw
As a friendly suggestion, I would like to point out that this site comes with a Media Room, where you can read core texts on Satanism and its roots. If you still have questions after reading the Satanic Bible, I guess there are lots of people who would be more than happy to answer them.
Ok thank you. I will give that section a look see.

#46309 - 01/09/11 04:41 PM Re: Hello. I am new here and have a few questions. [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
mabon2010 Offline

Loc: The Commonwealth of Great Brit...
@ Clayman

I am a Luciferian - here is a Luciferian answer.

1. PUNISHMENT AND SATAN
I reject the concept of entities. This means we all have free will and no entity is punishing us. In my own philosophy I consider we have a purpose for existing in this world, so if we move away from this purpose we will suffer penalties from that within us which wishes to express its purpose.

2. CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE ON Satanism.
There are different paths in Satanism, not all influenced mainly by religion. A new version of Satanism appeared from the 1960's created by Anton LaVey, who appears to have taken a psychological approach instead of one of religion, creating Laveyan Satanism. Laveyan Satanism is unique since it appeals to Atheists with its limited religious outlook. All religions and philosophies borrow from older traditions. Most of what is seen as "original" is really just recycled ideas repackaged as new in my opinion.

3. OTHER RELIGIONS
I am influenced by the Celtic tradition which I include in my philosophy of Monadic Luciferianism.

Edited by mabon2010 (01/09/11 04:42 PM)

#46343 - 01/09/11 08:58 PM Re: Hello. I am new here and have a few questions. [Re: mabon2010]
Happy Birthday Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
I reject the concept of entities. This means we all have free will and no entity is punishing us. In my own philosophy I consider we have a purpose for existing in this world, so if we move away from this purpose we will suffer penalties from that within us which wishes to express its purpose.

If as you state we have “free will,” then how can a purpose for us be defined by an outside thing?
If our purpose is already defined by an outside source then there is no free will, especially if we are to “suffer penalties.”

Something within us wishing to express it’s purpose, yet it is not us?? Huh?

#46355 - 01/10/11 12:59 AM Re: Hello. I am new here and have a few questions. [Re: ClayMan]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Got some time to kill, why not? Open wide, here comes the choo-choo train:

(Just some preliminary notes... the majority of Satanists here (including myself) do not believe that Satan is a personal being. "He" is either viewed as an impersonal force of nature, or as a symbol representing the carnality of man.)

Question One - I assume you are speaking from the point of view of Christianity as practiced by the masses, which according to folk tradition, assumes that Satan is a demon who rules over Hell and oversees the punishment and torture of sinners. This is a theological misconception-- according to the clergy and other purveyors of religious doctrine, Satan has no power and his "kingdom" is on Earth, not Hell. His earthly dominion is only temporary-- at Armageddon, Satan will be defeated and cast down into Hell. Here, Hell is actually ruled by God, who punishes both sinner and devil alike. Demons have no power in hell, and suffer just as miserably as human souls do.

This (mis)conception stems from folk mythology-- before Christianity, pagans believed in infernal deities like Hel and Hades, who ruled over the underworld and punished the wicked. When Christianity came to Europe, these beliefs applied most easily to Satan, so the image of the biblical devil merged with pagan folklore to create the Medieval Devil (often called Lucifer).

Question Two - Satanism is not a uniform belief system. Most people who are new to Satanism will simply fall into "reverse Christianity"-- that is, simply mocking and blaspheming Christianity with no original ideas, "worshiping" Satan like a Christian worships Christ. Such people usually get bored with this and move on. Why do they do this? Because they are newbies, and the only things they know about the occult they have learned from Hollywood movies and Christian scare sermons about cat-killings and Oujia boards.

Approached correctly, however, authentic Satanism is an initiatory path leading to enlightenment and self-empowerment. Rituals are only external artforms performed to produce certain states of mind to aid meditation and awareness.

Question Three - What do I think of other religions? Most of them, like Islam and Judaism, are just as useless and back-asswards as Christianity. Others, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Gnosticism, have some useful ideas concerning philosophy and personal spirituality-- but ultimately fall short of the mark because of superstition and pie-in-the-sky cosmology. Long-dead religions, such as Viking Religion, are usually filled with the same superstitions, but contain very strong mythical and cultural threads that can make for a robust philosophical/spiritual outlook if applied correctly. I have seen many neo-Pagans and Asatruar do this, although I personally prefer the Western Mystery Tradition (Hermeticism, Gnosticism, Witchcraft), from which I derive the Sinister Path because of its antinomian and autotheistic nature.

Edited by The Zebu (01/10/11 01:01 AM)

#46388 - 01/10/11 11:19 AM Re: Hello. I am new here and have a few questions. [Re: Asmedious]
mabon2010 Offline

Loc: The Commonwealth of Great Brit...
@ Asmedious
I am a fan of the Greek philosopher Plotinus.

I consider the Universe began from a source called the "One" by a process called Emanation. That which has been expelled from the "One" for being less perfect has a desire to return back to the "One", which becomes its Purpose, and so though we have freewill, by going against the Purpose we suffer negative consequencies, since a part of our self will fight to get back on course even if it kills us.

For further information read about Plotinus here:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/plotinus/

#46402 - 01/10/11 11:45 AM Re: Hello. I am new here and have a few questions. [Re: ClayMan]
Dutch Satanist Offline
pledge

Loc: Delft, The Netherlands
1) Satan does not punish. Satan doesn't do anything. He/She/It is not a (meta)physical entity (at least, not to me). It's symbolism that I work with.

2) Some people choose to do so. I use my own aesthetics and trappings and imagery that suits me. Satanism isn't about taking Christian dogma and symbols and just reversing them.

Satanism is about having an adversarial outlook on the world and everything in it. Doesn't mean that a Satanist is against everything (that would be counter-productive), but adversarial as in questioning everything and not taking anything on blind faith. Sure, there are things that are not explained or difficult to explain. But I will just say that it is just that. To abuse a metaphor; Do you have to know how the internals of a DVD player work to be able to play DVDs?

Many Satanists have a dim view of Christian (or any other organized) religion, because it cannot be tested properly. Faith cannot be falsified or properly tested. It is assuming truth without seeing any solid proof, so therefore it is flawed. Satanists like myself apply Occam's razor here; If something has several explanations, the simpler one is most likely true.

3) Norse mythology has symbolism which appeals to many. So some Satanists use it for their rituals. That's entirely their choice. Satanism does not dictate what symbolism is used. That is entirely up to the Satanist.

These are just my views. Hope they answer some of your questions.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.