Page 21 of 22 « First<1819202122>
Topic Options
#84828 - 02/05/14 06:55 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: Kei]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

Loc: El Mundo
Sounds like a drink I'd superficially make fun of you for drinking all the while thinking "damn, that's pretty good!" - I will give it a whirl... err... ehem :| I mean I will mix it for a female and see what she thinks while I sip my usual manly mixture of vinegar, gin, gasoline, mustard seeds, and jalapeno peppers. \:D

#85372 - 02/26/14 06:37 AM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: antikarmatomic]
Isaak Offline
stranger

My go to brews:

Belhaven Scottish Ale and Beck's. Though I usually settle for Heineken due to the fact that its usually available everywhere. When I want to get buzzed, I go for scotch of vodka. I don't drink these enough to be able to choose a specific brand.

But, if you're an ale drinker, I can't recommend Belhaven enough. Without a doubt, my favorite beer. As their website describes it: "The classic and characteristic malty and nutty flavor. Delivering a sweet, smooth and creamy finish, Scottish ale has a stunning ruby color in the glass. Magic."

Pretty much. Though its more bitter than sweet, at least to me.

Edited by Isaak (02/26/14 06:38 AM)

#85397 - 02/26/14 04:46 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: Isaak]
Aciel Offline

1)Glenfiditch-single malt
2)Johnny Walker Swing
3)Dickel Bourbon
4)Goldschlagger
5)Beefeaters Gin
6)Moonshine

#85702 - 03/13/14 12:29 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: Aciel]
RedRebel9 Offline
stranger

Currently:

1.Old New Orleans Crystal
2.Il Poggio Sangiovese
3.Takasago Shuzo Ginga Shizuku

#100438 - 06/07/15 02:09 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: RedRebel9]
MReynolds Offline
Permanently Banned Troll

I can literally drink my weight in Guinness. It's all I enjoy, it's all I drink. No one-liners, no one-liners, no-oneliners.. there, problem solved. lol \:\)

Edited by MReynolds (06/07/15 02:10 PM)

#100464 - 06/08/15 03:39 AM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: MReynolds]
Satanic Princess Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I'm a fan of Carlton Draught or Carlton Dry myself (this is an Australian beer with a slightly strong, but not over powering taste). And I also enjoy Tui, which is a New Zealand beer, but I haven't had it in a long time.
Vodka cruisers/alco-pops or whatever it is called in whatever country whoever reads this is from; its the slightly alcoholic beverage drunk mainly by kids (teens) and young people for it's sweet, fruity taste and is very similar to fizzy drinks/soft drinks/pop/sodas. I drink this occasionally but generally only when I am with someone and it's all they have.
I can't drink wine though, it gives me migraines (which is fine because I don't like it anyway). And I don't like the taste of Jack's or bourbon or anything like that \:\)

I plan to live forever.... so far, so good! \:\)

#100570 - 06/11/15 03:02 AM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: blackdragon31560]
Naama Offline

Loc: NewYork
I would not say that beer is my favorite drink,
but speaking of beer I prefer DRAFT beer - straight from the wooden barrel... natural...

Normally would avoid to drink the beer from the bottle - bottled beer is something similar to a canned food, which rather should be avoided or minimized...
Yes, its a big difference between bottled beer and a draft beer...

#100591 - 06/11/15 11:33 AM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: MReynolds]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
You can literally drink your weight in Guinness? Literally? I love ya’ bro, but of course that’s impossible. That said, Guinness is my favorite beer as well. The first time I tried it I thought it (figuratively) tasted like motor oil – dark, heavy and nasty. It was an acquired taste, but now I love it. I rarely drink it, though – one because the price is prohibitive, and two because it’s not good for my waistline. Vodka and diet soda gives me the most bang for my buck.
#100592 - 06/11/15 12:46 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: William Wright]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

Originally Posted By: WW
The first time I tried it I thought it (figuratively) tasted like motor oil – dark, heavy and nasty.

Yeap! that was exactly my take on it. I never gave it a second chance, though. I suppose, like anything, it becomes an acquired taste - if you have the wherewithal. I simply don't.

Lately, I've gone a little over-board with the drinking, and I have to say that it was NOT a pleasant withdraw at-fucking-all. One starts to worry about things they really shouldn't have to be worrying about. Things such as: "why am I shaking?", or "am I going to have a seizure? if so, will I live?" or "is it normal to sweat this much?" "why are my sheets soaking wet?" "should I maybe check into rehab? Nah, 'can't do that - it goes on your record"

So you bear with the symptoms and just basically cross your fingers that you don't die.

I know, I know, "indulgence not compulsion" - but it was indulgence... just a highly excessive one. As it turns-out, there are consequences to such excess.

But anyway, you Ween (<-fun band; not such a fun experience)

Not very long ago it was Natty Daddy's. $1.00 for a tall-boy. 8%(!) "the dose determines the poison"

#100594 - 06/11/15 01:43 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: antikarmatomic]
Satanic Princess Offline

Loc: New Zealand
 Originally Posted By: antikarmatomic

I know, I know, "indulgence not compulsion" - but it was indulgence... just a highly excessive one. As it turns-out, there are consequences to such excess.

With stuff like alcohol; the lines between compulsion and indulgence can get very blurry and grey, very fast. \:\/
And it can happen so quickly too.

I plan to live forever.... so far, so good! \:\)

#100598 - 06/11/15 03:09 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: Satanic Princess]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

They really do. It amazes me to this day that the most deleterious substances I've ever encountered are perfectly legal (well, I guess this doesn't amaze me too much when a put my cynical hat on, and think 'surreptitious population control' - then it sorta makes sense)

It does happen "quickly" but only seemingly so. One can fall for a solid decade and just "not realize" it - it's a game of inches. I've seen that shit happen. By the time they realize that there is a problem, it suddenly occurs to them that it actually has been a problem for quite a long time.

Some people catch it soon, some get a very rude awakening.

"I didn't exactly 'lose' my job - I just came in one day and I found some other guy doing it. I didn't exactly lose my wife I just came home one day and found some other guy doing her"

I HIGHLY recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Jest-David-Foster-Wallace/dp/0316066524

(this is not the first time, nor will it be the last time I recommend it here - it's a tough read, but SO fucking worth it)

And of, course, some people just look around and just say "ok, this is starting to become a problem" - which takes a certain amount of "intellectual honesty" and "rational self-interest", etc...

Does it make those who catch it early somehow "stronger" than those who wait to "hit rock bottom"? I dunno. It's an insidious type of thing, for some, and it's always more pleasurable to say "I think I'll grab another beer today" than to sit back and say "I have clearly been drinking an unprecedented amount of beer this month... that might be something I want to reign-in before it gets entirely out of hand"

___ and then you do that... and the problem becomes very fucking apparent when you start thinking in your right-mind wondering why you're trembling.

Turns out, most people who say "I can handle it" actually either 1) literally don't enjoy it to begin with or 2) do not realize that it is they who are being handled.

It's toxic, but one that is very slow, insidious, and all consuming in its onset.

Yet! I think that it too is an experience TOTALLY worth going through - if one is so inclined.

"Demons"? "Spirits"? "Djinn/Genie in a bottle"? Is there really a difference?

Either/or... it does take some amount of "spark" to say "ok, Houston, we have a problem" and to confront said problem on your own. Is that the LHP "mindset"? I don't fucking know - the shoe seems to fit, though.

Edited by antikarmatomic (06/11/15 03:11 PM)
Edit Reason: "New York, New York" became the official anthem of NYC

#100601 - 06/11/15 04:28 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: antikarmatomic]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
I know what’ll give me a good buzz without crossing the line, and if I consistently stuck with that amount I’d be fine. The problem is that once I’ve had that amount it’s so easy to have some more. “I feel good now, so if I have some more I’ll feel even better!” Ugh…

By “crossing the line” I don’t mean getting fall-down / vomiting / passed-out drunk. What I mean is getting to the point where the alcohol messes with my sleeping patterns. I find myself having a tough time getting to sleep and staying asleep, and then I’m drowsy and irritable the next day. That’s my biggest challenge when it comes to drinking.

#100604 - 06/11/15 04:59 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: William Wright]
mountaingoat Offline

Loc: Colorado
One of my (numerous) problems with drinking was my desire to not let my buzz die. This led to what was intended to be maintenance drinking, but in reality, was just consuming more and more alcohol until I was incapacitated. And then there is that nasty little gremlin of increasing tolerance that reared his head. The original feeling of euphoria from two nice big glasses of bourbon required an ever-larger amount of alcohol to find. And then my "normal" became the two nice big glasses of bourbon feeling.

I was extremely cavalier in regards to my alcohol consumption for 20 years or so, safe in my knowledge that I could always "handle" the results of over-indulgence. The painful reality of physical dependency came crashing down on me several miles past the exit that I intended to take. I tried, unsuccessfully, to steer out of the skid for about two years until I finally admitted to myself that I was in a completely unsustainable relationship with the bottle. Medically supervised detox was my only way out at that point. And, although the doctors do what they can to make the detox and withdrawal process as comfortable as possible, at the end of the day you're really just taking away what your body has come to rely upon as a necessary part of its biology. No fun. But, that's what you get when you make consistently fucking up your daily routine.

-John Fowles

#100608 - 06/11/15 09:37 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: mountaingoat]
antikarmatomic Offline
BANNED
stalker

Originally Posted By: WW
The problem is that once I’ve had that amount it’s so easy to have some more. “I feel good now, so if I have some more I’ll feel even better!”

exactly that. One may wake up stone-sober and think “ok, just two beers today”. By the time the second beer is finished things, like “self discipline” go right out the window along with the memory of even thinking that you just told yourself “two only”. Then it becomes a 6 pack. Except there always seems to be just one left the morning after when you wake up feeling like shit, so thinking “tale of the dog that bit you”, you drink that and suddenly you start rationalizing – well... maybe just one more, but only two today__ and then___ lather, rinse, repeat.

It's a loop, basically – and very hard one to get out of once you're rightly caught up in it. Certainly it is all too easy to say “serves you right, you fucking moron” - but some of the most intelligent people I've met have found themselves caught-up in this seemingly innocuous cycle. Perhaps it's a way to self-medicate – sorta like being of the intelligence of high school senior and basically forced to attend kindergarten – you'd literally HAVE to kill brain cells just to cope (I know alcohol doesn't actually kill brain cells, and that brain cells do indeed regenerate – don't look too deeply into the allegory as it is 'just' an allegory)

The conspiracy theorist in me sometimes wonders why all pakis (that's we call liquor stores up here) are run by Indians or... heh Pakistanis. It's entirely possible that they figured out “hey! Fuck going to war with the US, why not just let them pay us to poison them – that'd be easier and more profitable”

^I do not take this thought very seriously, but it does cross my mind every so often.

Originally Posted By: MG
No fun. But, that's what you get when you make consistently fucking up your daily routine.
ain't that the truth. If you do it “enough” it actually becomes the only type of food the body will accept. Now, I can say this to you people since you're all reasonably intelligent and worldly - “beer is food” and you'll all be like “no shit, you jackass, we know”. But a surprising number of people not only do not realize this, they flatly don't believe it (they also don't believe that milk is food either, so___ yeah, there's that). So what happens at a certain point too is that you completely “forget” to eat – or you just become “not hungry” but are “totally in the mood for another brewski”. At that point, if you ever get to that point, you have essentially re-wired your entire physiology

Exactly what you're saying here:

Originally Posted By: MG
at the end of the day you're really just taking away what your body has come to rely upon as a necessary part of its biology.
Thumbs up – like button – etc.

It's that! And coming off of it is not fun – in fact it can be fatal, nor is realizing that you're in that cycle all that easy – especially among the proud and intelligent. After day three, though, things get incredibly clearer - which can be scary for some people there's a quote from that book I highly recommended "Don't worry about getting in touch with your feelings; they will get in touch with you" - and depending on what you did and what you've ruined within the cycle, it may very easily drive you back into the cycle again.

In a way, alcohol-abuse is sort of a heat-seeking missile to the “above average” it also flushes out a few degenerates here and there - usually in the form of car accidents and trying stupid shit. It's the ones that have the “brain juice” to go on to become “functional alcoholics” that are probably “smart” enough to pull it off, yet the types of people that, IMO, the world needs more of – BUT it is killing them off by the hundreds.

Therein is the only reason I brought this somewhat off-topic response up. It is not an easy thing for the proud to concede that they need help.

Back on topic. My favourite drink is Arizona Iced Tea, lately. They actually go through the trouble of printing the price right on the can so these gas stations can't gyp you on the price. Some still do, though. Then again, the only thing good that's ever come out of a gas station are typically its people – especially the late-shifters. I mean, cheetos, doritos, 0 nutritional value. Ciggettes, gah – I struggle with that shit all the time. Gasoline? Isn't that why we're fighting these stupid wars in the first place? Condoms? Look, if you need to wear a rubber, you probably shouldn't be fucking her in the first place – but that's just me. *shrugs*

Edited by antikarmatomic (06/11/15 10:06 PM)
Edit Reason: AK actually pissed his pants in first grade. In second grade he was accused of killing a classmates rabit by his teacher - the latter was more traumatic than the former since the former was true.

#100610 - 06/11/15 10:29 PM Re: Favorite alcoholic drinks [Re: antikarmatomic]
MReynolds Offline
Permanently Banned Troll

Ugh, I drink.. I come from a long-line of drinkers, and damn.. do I drink. I wasn't kidding when I typed that I could literally drink my weight in Guinness.. yeah, I was, but it sure seems as though I can.

The shakes? Been there, done that. Lots of times, damn.. I've even "had" to do a few stints in rehab. Fun, fun!! \:\)

Here I am about to go on with my hypomania shit again, but while I'm in the depths of mania, I crave alcohol. The other-worldly euphoria that I'm already in the throws of just screams out for me to fuel it even more so, and so I do. Much of the time it's with alcohol, Guinness, or some booze, but other times it's with.. powda'. lol Yes, the white-lady dusts my house on the weekends.

Anyways, as long as I stop getting fucked-up, and posting posts (as I'm doing right now), I may have a shot at quality > quantity. Doubtful, haha.

Edited by MReynolds (06/11/15 10:35 PM)

Page 21 of 22 « First<1819202122>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.033 seconds of which 0.01 seconds were spent on 29 queries. Zlib compression disabled.