Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#46564 - 01/11/11 06:07 PM Phoney Grottos
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
So I finally attend a so called "satanic" grotto at my university that had been set up by students a decade ago. I'm not sure of what it was like when it was established however when I attended it was the biggest example of false advertising I had ever seen in my life, several members had never read the Satanic Bible and several did not even know the basic fundimental values of Dr Lavey.
Im curious as to if anyone else has run into any similer so called satanist groups who in reality are nothing more than a poorly orginised social club?
The thing that really did it for me was when I discovered the group was a spin off of the university's pagan society, so i'm guessing this group was formed as a way of pissing off the founders of another university group and had been allowed to run out of control.

#46597 - 01/12/11 12:26 AM Re: Phoney Grottos [Re: BaronVonShankly]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Welcome to the club.

Anyways, the phenomenon of Satanism-- which carries many strong connections to witchcraft and devil-worship-- existed long before LaVey decided to use the name as a label for his personal beliefs.

Therefore it shouldn't be terribly surprising (to say the least) that some other self-described Satanists might choose to define the word differently than LaVey's codification.

In any case, most "Satanic" groups are poorly-run jokes that usually don't last a week. However, it sounds quite miraculous if this group was able to stay running for ten years. My hat goes off to them, devil-worshipers or not.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.