Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#46683 - 01/13/11 05:01 AM Are Satanists...running the military cargo system?
JysusCryst Offline
stranger

Loc: Iraq
The Stars and Stripes, a military newspaper that works for the DoD, released an article today named "Are Satanis and Islamist Running the Military Cargo System."

I thought it was halarious! Goes to show how paranoid some people still are of 'the Dark Prince' and his followers! They even went so far as to get a statement from Peter H. Gilmore. Hope you all laugh as hard as I did. \:D Enjoy!

#46685 - 01/13/11 05:12 AM Re: Are Satanists...running the military cargo system? [Re: JysusCryst]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I responded thus:

Wonderful stuff! We have to dial 999 for the emergency services in Britain - WHAT IF WE'RE TRAPPED SOMEWHERE AND THE PHONE IS UPSIDE DOWN????? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!! *Cue spooky music and screaming*

#46686 - 01/13/11 05:24 AM Re: Are Satanists...running the military cargo system? [Re: JysusCryst]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
This article was run under very poor judgment on their part. I know of other Satanists and Islamists that read stars and stripes. Also, considering that the people who write these articles are military personnel, or otherwise affiliated, you'd think they'd understand the Equal Opportunity violations they would be stuck with from a butthurt reader. But then again, I don't think that many service members care too much about EO. My Lt. Col refused to enter my office after I received my package containing Anton's books, and ever since keeps trying to buy me into his church. But anyway, I expect at least a slight backlash from some of the more politically correct Christians in the military world over this.

EDIT: Excellent stuff, Felix. I had a chuckle when I read that in the comments.

Edited by Clicks (01/13/11 05:25 AM)

#46689 - 01/13/11 05:37 AM Re: Are Satanists...running the military cargo system? [Re: Clicks]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Hey, thanks! I was by no means agreeing that the article was a serious piece of journalism, just having a laugh at the "666" -generated excitement. ;\)

#46690 - 01/13/11 05:45 AM Re: Are Satanists...running the military cargo system? [Re: Clicks]
JysusCryst Offline
stranger

I can't logically see why there'd be any backlash, but then again, just because it isn't logical, doesn't mean it won't happen.

EO when it comes to religion? Yeah right, that goes back to "If you're not Christian, you're wrong! Fix yourself!" Besides, trying to preach/convert isn't a EO violation (as far as I know), but discrimination based on religious preference or defacing a religion is. I'm pretty open about being Satanist and I don't catch any flak. A little bit of teasing and a few jokes, but I'm pretty much left alone about it.

I hadn't even looked at the paper yet when my first line supervisor asked me if Satanist are running the cargo system. I had no clue what she was talking about till she handed the paper over!

@Felix: I almost rolled out my chair when I read that! "Do I really need to call the devil to save me? Oh no!"

#46691 - 01/13/11 06:01 AM Re: Are Satanists...running the military cargo system? [Re: felixgarnet]
JysusCryst Offline
stranger

It's not really a serious article, or even a serious column.

The column is called "The Rumor Doctor." He/She/They(?) take rumors sent in by readers and write an article on them. Always sarcastic and full of jokes, but more or less answeres the questions submitted by readers.

Edited by JysusCryst (01/13/11 06:05 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#46695 - 01/13/11 07:30 AM Re: Are Satanists...running the military cargo system? [Re: JysusCryst]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I was sure it wasn't serious, as I have read other columns. However, where I was talking about the EO violations, butthurt, and possible backlash I was referring those few that can't ever take a joke, or take it the wrong way. I should have added that into my original post. It's possible you'll have the poser Satanist who gets upset over the slight remark that could be misconstrued as being anti-Satanic, the Islamist who is upset over the same, and then the die hard Christian who is almost violently for EO, and stands up for everyone's right to have their cause. In my two short years in the military, I've learned that for the most part, everyone has a pretty good sense of humor, and everyone loves offending everyone else. But again, there are always those few that find a reason to be offended. Stars and Stripes may get a few angry emails and possibly even may decide to lay off the religion for a little while. Funny article though.

#46697 - 01/13/11 07:41 AM Re: Are Satanists...running the military cargo system? [Re: Clicks]
JysusCryst Offline
stranger

A few angry emails will be sent, I'm sure. I just don't see over what. I tend to overlook the unimportant stuff...Like I said, just because I don't see any reason behind it doesn't mean it won't happen, which it for sure will. Though I highly doubt there will be any serious reactions.

Just like a woman, a joke is no good if it doesn't have a butt! (See what I did there?)

Edited by JysusCryst (01/13/11 07:44 AM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#46705 - 01/13/11 11:30 AM Re: Are Satanists...running the military cargo system? [Re: JysusCryst]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Ok, a little help here. As he points out 999 is a priority designator when shipping military cargo. It is clearly visible and cannot be mistaken for any other code. In loading, it gives the the shipping folks a clear indication that this is priority cargo. It is sort of a relic of the old paper system for cargo routing. It is put on the cargo by the good folks at the New Cumberland depot in PA.

Never the less, if anyone asks, yes Satanists DO run the cargo system! Was there really any question? Just ask Jake. All of AMC is controlled by the Devil.

#46717 - 01/13/11 12:30 PM Re: Are Satanists...running the military cargo system? [Re: Fist]
Jake999 Offline

LOL!!!! Now this has GOT to be one of the DUMBEST things I have ever seen. EVER. I mean, geez...

999 as a military designation comes to us from WWII. When I joined the military in 1969, stickers for 999 shipments showed a 999 in a red circle, a clear designation that the shipment in question was highest priority for shipment.... it was called RED BALLING the shipment.

This referred to the RED BALL EXPRESS, that ran in Europe from military depots to frontline troop units. The materiel needed to fight the war was sent on trucks in those days, as air transport, while faster, was less capable of bulk movements and more susceptible to being shot down over German held territory. So the RED BALL EXPRESS was formed. It was nothing more that a fleet of military vehicles that went from point A to point B with equipment. The drivers of these vehicles were known for their aggressive driving and guts to get the shipments through to the troops.

They even made a movie of it: THE REDBALL EXPRESS in 1952, with Raymond Chandler and Sydney Portier. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045072/

Soooooooo... if you had to get a shipment to a unit in trouble (usually gasoline or ammunition), you painted a red ball on the side of it and placed a 999 in the center. It could have been 777...222,,,444 or even (gasp) 666, but being that 9 was the highest number from 1 to 10, and was unused in other priority systems, thereby making it stand out, 999 was used. Hey, computers weren't invented yet... cut the old GIs some slack.

Now... being that the military transportation system we know as AMC (Air Mobility Command) today is a direct descendant of the military transportation system of WWII, it's simply common sense that they carried the tried and true and recognized symbols with them to the newer system that relied more on planes for resupply than trucks. So, 999 simply meant "get it there first."

We send Satanic material on Navy ships.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.