Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#46769 - 01/14/11 12:18 PM Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft
Stag Offline
pledge

Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft (1926)

Found this the other day and thought some of you might get a kick out of it.

H. P. Lovecraft weighs in on the age old cats vs. dogs debate with gusto. I found his opinions on such an apparently mundane and trivial discussion all the more entertaining for being delivered with his trademark hyperbolic flourish.

"Dog-lovers base their whole case on these commonplace, servile, and plebeian qualities, and amusingly judge the intelligence of a pet by its degree of conformity to their own wishes. Cat-lovers escape this delusion, repudiate the idea that cringing subservience and sidling companionship to man are supreme merits, and stand free to worship aristocratic independence, self-respect, and individual personality joined to extreme grace and beauty as typified by the cool, lithe, cynical and unconquered lord of the housetops."

Stag

Edited by Stag (01/14/11 12:20 PM)

#46825 - 01/15/11 04:03 AM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Stag]
GiloFrost Offline
lurker

Loc: New Zealand
Ahahaha, I can't get enough of H P L.
A O Spare's a character too.
Nice find

#77228 - 06/18/13 09:39 AM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Stag]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Naturally, one's preference in the matter of cats and dogs depends wholly upon one's temperament and point of view. The dog would appear to me to be the favorite of superficial, sentimental, and emotional people -- people who feel rather than think, who attach importance to mankind and the popular conventional emotions of the simple, and who find their greatest consolation in the fawning and dependent attachments of a gregarious society. Such people live in a limited world of imagination; accepting uncritically the values of common folklore, and always preferring to have their naive beliefs, feelings, and prejudices tickled, rather than to enjoy a purely aesthetic and philosophic pleasure arising from discrimination, contemplation, and the recognition of austere, absolute beauty. This is not to say that the cheaper elements do not also reside in the average cat-lover's love of cats, but merely to point out that in ailurophily there exists a basis of true aestheticism which kynophily does not possess. The real lover of cats is one who demands a clearer adjustment to the universe than ordinary household platitudes provide; one who refuses to swallow the sentimental notion that all good people love dogs, children, and horses while all bad people dislike and are disliked by such. He is unwilling to set up himself and his cruder feelings as a measure of universal values, or to allow shallow ethical notions to warp his judgment. In a word, he had rather admire and respect than effuse and dote; and does not fall into the fallacy that pointless sociability and friendliness, or slavering devotion and obedience, constitute anything intrinsically admirable or exalted. Dog-lovers base their whole case on these commonplace, servile, and plebeian qualities, and amusingly judge the intelligence of a pet by its degree of conformity to their own wishes. Cat-lovers escape this delusion, repudiate the idea that cringing subservience and sidling companionship to man are supreme merits, and stand free to worship aristocratic independence, self-respect, and individual personality joined to extreme grace and beauty as typified by the cool, lithe, cynical and unconquered lord of the housetops.

This paragraph always made me smirk while reading it.

My cat, Luci-fur (Luci for short)

Edited by SIN3 (06/18/13 09:40 AM)

#77239 - 06/18/13 09:03 PM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Stag]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
HPL was also a foaming-at-the-mouith racist who never forgave His Lawful Majesty George III's colonies for the American Revolution; so what? We like him for his monster stories and Dunsany takeoffs.

Juxtaposing canines and felines is just another exercise in apples and oranges. I confess myself somewhat astonished at the extraordinary variations and extremes of dog-breeding mankind has accomplished [from the basic wolf]. Domestic cats, by contrast, seem pretty uniform except in details like color, fur density, etc.

As for "servility", some of this can be blamed on the aforementioned intensive breeding, but HPL may also not have been aware of canine pack behavior and stratification. One of my friends had a magnificent Alaskan wolf as a companion. One evening, while visiting, I heard the wolf crying and screeching as though he were being killed. I ran out back. My friend was pressing the wolf gently but firmly down on the ground with his hands, completely uninjured. "He challenged me," he said. "Does so every once in awhile. This is how I reestablish that I'm the alpha, that's all."

I rather think this would not work with any of our cats. ;\)

#77248 - 06/18/13 11:09 PM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Exactly, So what? The metaphor is about people not actual cats and dogs.

#77321 - 06/20/13 10:05 PM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
What about rodent lovers? ;P

#77322 - 06/20/13 10:42 PM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

I've owned several, if that's any indication ;\)

#77326 - 06/21/13 01:10 AM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
MoSa Offline

Originally Posted By: SIN3

My cat, Luci-fur (Luci for short)

Damn, I so want one just like it \:\)

#77337 - 06/22/13 07:49 AM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: MoSa]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Getting back to the HPL points about cats. She chose me. When I was at the pet store looking at kittens, she jumped out of her cubicle and laid on my feet. She was smokey grey. I had no idea she'd mature into a Black cat. She had chosen her owner. When I looked down at her laying on my feet, she just sort of laid back and began purring. I picked her up, and she laid on my shoulder like a baby would. She also had a strange red inclusion in her Right eye, it gave her character.

#77410 - 06/24/13 07:29 PM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
If Luci is an outdoor/unsupervised cat, that big ring on her collar could be dangerous if she jumps and it catches on a branch, fencewire, etc.

Also generally I'd caution against any kind of "occult" symbol on a pet (as here the Pentagram medal). If it gets caught by some creeps, that could get it killed or ritually sacrificed.

Many animal shelters won't adopt out black cats around Halloween for this reason, and here's the tragic consequence of that.

#77411 - 06/24/13 11:11 PM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I have a tiny inverse pentegram in 14K gold which I thought would look great on my black cat. But even though she's an indoor cat, I decided against putting it on her for the same reasons that Dr. Aquion brought up. I heard the stories too and was worried what might happen if she ever gets outside for awhile.

#77412 - 06/24/13 11:25 PM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

She's a house-cat, and rarely unsupervised. Her collar has an elastic band in the back in the event it were to get caught on something (most cat collars have them now-a-days). It's also an I.D., on the backside of the pendant is her name, owner, my telephone number and website. I ordered it from a Pet-Id site based in Australia.

She ventures out into the backyard but only if I'm with her. If she's alone she just sits in the doorway. She's only ventured out about half way into the yard (even with me there). She prefers the comforts of home. She seems fairly skeptical of the outdoors.

I'm not too concerned about the pent. It's still fairly country-mentality here in Virginia, most Good-ole'Boys shoot and kill strays because they chase off the foul which is good huntin'. The Pentagram may actually save her life if she were an outdoor cat. The superstitious may think better of it.

#78375 - 07/22/13 06:51 AM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
rottengarden Offline
stranger

Loc: Texas
My cat chose me as well! I got her from a pound, her name is Neuth. (Family just calls her Nut)

I was walking around the "cat room" at the shelter and suddenly couldn't move any more- a kitten has reached her paw out of the cage and latched on to my jacket, staring at me. My grandmother tried to get me one of those flat face kitties , saying Neuth looked sickly and quite ugly, but they didn't want me. The whole litter hissed and clawed at me.

Neuth is few months old now and I've been trying to find a baphomet collar-charm for her. She isn't allowed outside. Thats how I lost my previous baby.

#78376 - 07/22/13 08:09 AM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: rottengarden]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Here's Luci as a kitten. This was taken about (3) months after I adopted her. The lighting throws off her coloring but she was a smokey gray, extremely thin and had a bloodspot in her eye. She was a pitiful little thing when I looked down at her sitting on my feet at the shop.

As far as the Medallions go, you can check Etsy. There's lots of artists there that make enamel medallions. You want a smallish type, some of those worn as pendants are pretty big. If you want to engrave it on the back, just make sure it has a shiny polished finish. Most jewelry engravers will do it for a few bucks.

Another option would be to make it yourself. Most craft stores have all the supplies you need.

Jewelry Resin is what you need, the kits run about 10 bucks. Some findings and a small image of the Baphomet Pentagram should do ya.

I used it to make some Tooth-fairy pendants using my Son's baby teeth. It worked out pretty good, perfecting it to eliminate bubbles may take you a few test runs.

Edited by SIN3 (07/22/13 08:10 AM)

#78378 - 07/22/13 08:37 AM Re: Cats And Dogs by H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
rottengarden Offline
stranger

Loc: Texas
What a clever idea!

Sadly my parents never bothered with the tooth fairy thing. :P

I think I may make my own, I love art ^_^ just short on money right now. Jewelry making has never been a strong point of mine, though. Mostly drawing and sewing (can't afford lolita dresses, easier to make my own!)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.