Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#4678 - 03/01/08 08:11 AM H. P. Lovecraft
silligum_diaboli Offline
stranger

Loc: redhill, surrey , UK
im reading a book at the moment by H. P lovecraft called at the mountains of maddness, has anyone read the book and what were your views on it? ;\) I will give my views once I have finished reading it myself lol

#4680 - 03/01/08 11:40 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: silligum_diaboli]
Stag Offline
pledge

I read this, along with most of the reast of Lovecraft's stuff as a kid, about ten years ago. In truth I don't think it has ever quite left me alone. Despite his occasionally laborious prose style, Lovecraft's stories have a habit of burrowing deep into your subconscious only to pop up again when you least expect it. Whenever the night is clear enough to get a good view of the stars, I sometimes look up and am overcome with a profound sense of vertigo. I guess I have Lovecraft to blame for that.

In my opinion, At The Mountains of Madness is one of his more accomplished stories, especially in terms of narrative.

Apparently, Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth) is working on a movie adaptation, which could be interesting if it ever sees the light of day.

Stag

#6983 - 04/01/08 09:54 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Stag]
reverand Offline
stranger

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
I totally agree with stag. Lovecraft is one of the few fiction writers i still love. His sense of detail is spot on especially in stories like At the Mountains of Madness, The Outsider and The Tomb. I read most if not all of his works as a teen as well and to this day I will pick up a book and reread a story every now and then.
Not such a fan of his attempts at science fiction though such as In the Walls of Eryx but altogether you can't go wrong with Lovecraft

#8657 - 05/14/08 05:39 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: reverand]
-iblis- Offline
pledge

I am partial to his cult classics...

Lovecraft had originally written the pronunciation of Cthulhu
as: "Khlûl'hloo"

According to Lovecraft,
this is merely the closest that the human vocal chords
can come to reproducing the syllables of an alien language.

Edited by -iblis- (05/14/08 05:43 AM)

#8870 - 05/21/08 06:24 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: -iblis-]
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
I have an off-topic question in connection with Lovecraft: LaVey (or was it actually Aquino) used Lovecraft in two of the rituals in The Satanic Rituals. The rituals include the "unknown language" of the ancient ones (or what ever it is called). Does anyone know if they made it up by themselves, borrowed it from somewhere or wrote it with the help on some dictionary inspirered by Lovecraft mythos?

- Amina

#8888 - 05/22/08 06:37 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Amina]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
A good guess would be that he just borrowed it, much like the rest of the book and ideas. He might have added some of his own musings but mostly he just wrote what others had already written, sometimes not even bothering to re-word it but rather copying word for word.
#8890 - 05/22/08 09:02 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: MaggotFaceMoe]
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: MaggotFaceMoe
A good guess would be that he just borrowed it

Yes, that is my guess too, like the stuff from H. G. Wells in "Das Tierdrama", but I would like to know the source. I wrote a text about his use of the enochian keys yesrs ago with the help of a book on enochian including an enochian dictionary (LaVey using Crowleys translation etc.), but I have not seen something similar based on Lovecraft. Maybe someone made it as a part of yet another Necronomicon?

- Amina

#9253 - 05/30/08 10:08 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Amina]
Rune Darksinger Offline
stranger

Loc: New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: Amina
I have an off-topic question in connection with Lovecraft: LaVey (or was it actually Aquino) used Lovecraft in two of the rituals in The Satanic Rituals. The rituals include the "unknown language" of the ancient ones (or what ever it is called). Does anyone know if they made it up by themselves, borrowed it from somewhere or wrote it with the help on some dictionary inspirered by Lovecraft mythos?

- Amina

i downloaded a pdf file of a nearly 1000 page book by aquino with lovecraftian rituals...

#10229 - 07/15/08 11:42 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Rune Darksinger]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Rune Darksinger

i downloaded a pdf file of a nearly 1000 page book by aquino with lovecraftian rituals...

For as far as I know the lovecraftian rituals are pure fiction.
They were invented by H.P Lovecraft himself to create a whole new universe for his books. Other writers used the same universe to make their stories.
So everything wich is even linked with the necronomicon and lovecraftian rituals is just garbage. Probably it would shock some people who believed in the elder god Chtulhu and Nyarlothep but they are as fictif as the older man we cannot see here above.

However I know Lovecraft used the enochian keys to add some credebility to his books. Sadly enough commercants once again use the weak mind of people and start to write books about it and get a profit out of the lies everyone beliefs.

#10231 - 07/15/08 12:58 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Dimitri]
Stag Offline
pledge

Quote:
For as far as I know the lovecraftian rituals are pure fiction.

What makes you think that Lovecraft-inspired rituals are any more, or less, fictional than any other ritual source material -- such as the Enochian Keys, for example?

What is the meaning of the term 'fictional' in this context, anyway?

Stag

#10240 - 07/16/08 03:46 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Stag]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Let me see, his whole mythos has been invented by him and also much of the invocations who has been written down within his books.
Enochian keys are more or less an invented language used by Crowley, Laveye and Lovecraft. A close study reveiled that this language contains to much known english sounds. The words are unique but the sound you produce by speaking them indicates you are talking bullocks and have the idea of performing a serious ritual. Still it can have the same effect as any other ritual because of the psychological effect, but i prefer to know what i'm speaking of in clear words. And also if i want to call a symbol like satan during a rituals it makes it a lot easier if I know what this represents. This is not the case in the mythos where many people call Cthulu, because this creature just represents a fictive symbol of an ancient god slumbering in the ocean.

Then again, everybody believes what he wants to believe.
Term fictional means "not existing/true".

#10249 - 07/16/08 10:29 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Dimitri]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Actually, Lovecraft borrowed a lot of his Elder Gods material from ancient Babylonian language and mythos. I would not say that Lovecraft so much 'invented' his mythos but rather gave his interpretation of the languages, events, and mythos of ancient Mesopotamia.

The serious and honest student of Lovecraft realizes that Lovecraft was not actually that imaginative. He simply had a somewhat unique vision. Most of his material and writing style are borrowed from other sources.

#10251 - 07/16/08 11:19 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Fist]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Fist
Actually, Lovecraft borrowed a lot of his Elder Gods material from ancient Babylonian language and mythos. I would not say that Lovecraft so much 'invented' his mythos but rather gave his interpretation of the languages, events, and mythos of ancient Mesopotamia.

The serious and honest student of Lovecraft realizes that Lovecraft was not actually that imaginative. He simply had a somewhat unique vision. Most of his material and writing style are borrowed from other sources.

True, forgot that part.
Most of his stories were also based on his nightmares (written in his autobiografy) and some names/terms he indeed lent from old summerian texts.
But i'm not very sure if these texts even came close to what he wrote. It can be possible or it can't.I should look a bit more up about sumerians knowledge on that part is a bit short.

#10256 - 07/16/08 04:38 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Dimitri]
Mercury_Templar Offline
93 93/93

Loc: Cabarita, Vic, Australia
 Originally Posted By: Dimitri

Enochian keys are more or less an invented language used by Crowley, Laveye and Lovecraft. A close study reveiled that this language contains to much known english sounds. The words are unique but the sound you produce by speaking them indicates you are talking bullocks and have the idea of performing a serious ritual.

Just a recommendation, not having a go at you: perhaps a more in-depth study of Enochian would give you a better understanding of it. And this in turn may help you realise how unacquainted you have just appeared.

M.'.T.'.
VE-GEDULAH
LE-OLAM
AMEN

#10262 - 07/17/08 04:38 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Mercury_Templar]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Just a recommendation, not having a go at you: perhaps a more in-depth study of Enochian would give you a better understanding of it. And this in turn may help you realise how unacquainted you have just appeared.

Are you sure?
I'll give you a little extrait from wikipedia to show you i have done my homework.

Skeptics have pointed to this discrepancy between the two revealed sets of Enochian texts as an indication that Enochian is in fact not a consistent language.[7] For instance it has been noted, especially by the Australian linguist Donald Laycock, that the texts in the Loagaeth material show phonetic features that do not generally appear in natural languages. [8] Rather, the features shown are commonly found in instances of glossolalia. This could be indicative of Kelley actually receiving at least this set of texts through the well-known phenomenon of glossolalia.

Building on Laycock’s linguistic analysis skeptics also point out that there are even problems with holding that the texts of the Enochian keys represent a genuine natural language. It is observed that the syntax of the Enochian calls is almost identical with that of English. [9] Also the very scant evidence of Enochian verb declension seems to be quite reminiscent of English – more so than with Semitic languages as Hebrew or Arabic, which one perhaps would have supposed Adam’s pristine language to be closer related to than English.[10] These and other points arguably make the reception of the Enochian language less mysterious and hard to account for than some practitioners of Enochian magic have typically contended.

Just not to insult you or something. But mostly if i say something there really is a text or book or piece of text written about it on wich I base my opinion and on wich i think about. \:\)

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 29 queries. Zlib compression disabled.