Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#23603 - 04/20/09 11:02 PM Ye Liveliest Awfulness [Re: DistroyA]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Quote:
Zeena has been quite sane and dull for the last couple of years, but now she’s beginning to make dry little comments that simply floor me. Today at the grocery store she announced to the counter man, quite out of the blue, that her teacher thinks she’s quite attractive. The man said, “Oh, yeah, I bet she thinks you’re a real gorgeous jewel,” to which Zeena replied, “Yes, she said that too!” Tonight, after critically viewing a sketch of Anton’s (a man drinking a bottle of beer and scratching his privates), she said, “Really! Can’t you ever draw anything sophisticated?” - Letter, Diane LaVey to M.A.A. 4/3/73

I remember remarking to Anton, one evening at 6114, that one of my cherished possessions was an original R. Crumb Tommy Toilet poster, but that Lilith wouldn't let me frame it in the bathroom. Anton said, "Me too, and Diane won't let me put mine up either," and promptly produced his copy from his, ahem, occult archives.

That's why 6114 visitors seated in the can found themselves facing not Tommy, but one of the "Satan Wants You!" posters, with a World War I gas mask and a red rose as emergency accents.

Lilith finally relented and let me put Tommy up in our bathroom, by the way. In addition to giving undeniably sage advice, TT is the ultimate icebreaker and karma-leveler for visitors.

#27618 - 07/28/09 03:00 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: silligum_diaboli]
Domonic Offline
stranger

Loc: Edgewood New Mex
okay, me and a friend are reading lovecrafts work. We were wandering, what if Cthulhu is awakening in 2012?

#27634 - 07/28/09 04:42 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Domonic]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Only if his alarm clock goes off....

Otherwise, he will be late for work.

M

#76489 - 05/20/13 08:21 AM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Dimitri]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
HP Lovecraft is an acquired taste, especially his style of writing. Any fan of strange tales can see his influences and which authors he is attempting to emulate.

What I think is most interesting about HPL, is that his writing didn't really gain a lot of notoriety until long after his death. The culmination of his stories into a mythos-cycle we can credit to (mostly) August Derleth. There's also an on-going debate on which stories should be included in that cycle.

I've always enjoyed the stories for their archetypal structures and using them as allegories in my own cult madness. There's tons to use for psyche-models.

"At the Mountains of Madness" is a great addition to the mythos cycle in relation to the place where the Old Ones dwell, and how they got there. If you think on it, you can see that those Old Ones are 'us', buried under layers of influence and experiences that make up personality. Sort of like the Subconscious mind vs. Conscious mind. In order to bring the Old Ones forth, there has to be a catalyst for making a go of it. This is where other stories come in handy such as "Call of Cthulhu". Even the catalyst needs a spark, and Al Hazred the Mad Arab is just that. The Necronomicon is like a pathway to begin the process.

While it's all fiction, its still very much a useful body of work for any Adept Occultist.

#76497 - 05/20/13 07:40 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: silligum_diaboli]
Conchis Offline

Loc: us
At the Mountains of Madness, would certainly have to be one of my favorite Lovecraft stories. It is Certainly worth a read!!! Strangely enough the Aliens Vs Predator movie contained some elements from the mountains of madness.

Lovecraft is one of those authors I just can put down, I often find my self yearning for a reread. Some of his descriptions of higher and lower dimensional angles always seem to send a wonderful shiver down my spine.

Edited by Conchis (05/20/13 07:40 PM)

#76500 - 05/20/13 07:51 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Conchis]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Have you the film Prometheus? I thought it had a lot of elements from At the Mountains of Madness.

#76501 - 05/20/13 08:02 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
Conchis Offline

Originally Posted By: SIN3
Have you the film Prometheus? I thought it had a lot of elements from At the Mountains of Madness.

No I have yet to see it, although it has been recommended to me several time's. It would not surprise me a bit to see lovecraftian elements in Prometheus as well. I always personally thought that the "aliens" themselves had a somewhat lovecraft esque appearance/feel about them.

Edited by Conchis (05/20/13 08:04 PM)

#76502 - 05/20/13 08:18 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Conchis]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

I agree. If you enjoy Lovecraftian weirdness, I think you'll enjoy the film Prometheus.

#76508 - 05/20/13 09:19 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Goddam that goddam movie!

Since 1979 I've been waiting for an explanation of the mummified remains that the crew from Alien encounter right before encountering the 'eggs'.

At the end of Prometheus they explain it... and then the 'promethian' gets up from his seat and moves to another section of the ship to be struck down there. So how does he end up back in his seat in the original Alien I ask you? Goddam that goddam film!

#76509 - 05/20/13 09:44 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Fnord]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Fnord
Goddam that goddam movie!

Since 1979 I've been waiting for an explanation of the mummified remains that the crew from Alien encounter right before encountering the 'eggs'.

At the end of Prometheus they explain it... and then the 'promethian' gets up from his seat and moves to another section of the ship to be struck down there. So how does he end up back in his seat in the original Alien I ask you? Goddam that goddam film!

Are you certain its the exact 'Engineer' in the chair?

#76511 - 05/20/13 09:50 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
No but that's like the cliffhanger ending that Annie describes in Misery.. you see the cock-a-doodie guy drive off the cliff so resurrecting him is a ripoff! ;\)

Seriously... they positioned the chair the same way it was in Alien. I feel like the explanation is somewhere on the cutting room floor.

Or, I guess I could just accept the macro explanation... but that really bugged me.

#76513 - 05/20/13 10:01 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Fnord]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Quote:
you see the cock-a-doodie guy drive off the cliff

That made me laugh out loud, literally.

The DNA sequence is interesting, it leads one to believe that there's more to the design that leads to the scene you are referring to. Plus, Shaw gets into a ship and is heading to the homeworld. Like Ripley she's given birth to an alien, so maybe that will offer her some type of protection from what she finds there...hmmmm

#76536 - 05/21/13 01:37 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
"At the Mountains of Madness" was almost made a movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw3tuiND_xk

However, Warner Bros. (as could be expected) did not let del Toro make the movie as it needed to be made. Then, Prometheus came out and he thought At the Mountains of Madness would look too much like Prometheus for general audiences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Mountains_of_Madness

With any luck he will take up the project again.

#76543 - 05/21/13 02:23 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: Fist]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

I read an article about it when the film hit the box office. I was really disappointed, he could really taken it to the next level. I really want to see how they create the barrel creatures.

#76547 - 05/21/13 03:30 PM Re: H. P. Lovecraft [Re: SIN3]
Conchis Offline

There is a very interesting 2005 silent B/W adaptation of "The Call of Cthulhu". I personally found it to be quite enjoyable. It can be seen here.
Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.