Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#46807 - 01/14/11 06:18 PM San Francisco locals ( a little help)
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
Going for a trip soon, but also looking to move there. So what area's do you people recomend looking at for housing and also for the tourist thing what do you recomend going to see?
#46811 - 01/14/11 07:37 PM Re: San Francisco locals ( a little help) [Re: BaronVonShankly]
Jake999 Offline

LIVE outside of San Francisco, if you can... across the Bay can be a lot more affordable. Take a stiff drink, and then try http://www.century21.com to get an idea of housing prices in the area. After you look at San Francisco, try Tiburon, Marin, Mill Valley, Napa, Vallejo, Corte Madera, San Rafael, Oakland, Alameda, Orinda... You could go out as far as Fairfield (45 miles), but you'll be looking a long commute (up to 2 hours each way), bridge tolls and parking fees when you get to the city. Look for areas with BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) train service or, a commuter ferry, if you don't want to drive in the city, which can be expensive and exasperating at times. Good luck.

Touristy... (A web check will show you pics of these things) well, there's Fisherman's Wharf where you can look at the Bay and eat a walkaway cocktail, and Pier 39 for touristy type shopping. Catch a street car at the Terminus near Fisherman's Wharf and just ride. There's Coit Tower, The Mission District, The Tenderloin... not a very safe place after dark), Lands End and The Cliff House. I don't know if it's still there or not, but there used to be a coin operated nickolodeon museum under the Cliff House. There are the predominantly gay areas of Polk Street and The Castro. LOTS of stuff to see and do.

#46812 - 01/14/11 07:46 PM Re: San Francisco locals ( a little help) [Re: BaronVonShankly]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
San Francisco housing is generally expensive; the city is bounded on 3 sides by water & underneath by San Mateo County, so it can't grow. It is also a "compartmented" city - Downtown, Marina, Seacliff, Russian Hill, Nob Hill, Fillmore, Haight, Sunset, Mission, Richmond, etc.; so where you want to be determines what you'll find there. Try Googling "San Francisco housing" and read around a bit.

Various East Bay cities are connected to San Francisco via BART, a very nice & fast train/subway system. You might also look into housing in some of these areas and consider just zipping into SF when you want to.

As for what to see, this city is "Disneyland north", as you'll see if you Google "San Francisco sightseeing". Every part of it has things to explore; it depends upon your interests and tastes. For example, Google "Haunted San Francisco" and see how much spooky stuff there is.

Really, taking the time to do some Internet research will be helpful, particularly with regard to restaurant recommendations, things to see, things to avoid, etc.

And remember to check the weather. SF tends to be cold in summer, warm in fall, etc. You can always tell the tourists in July and August by their shivering!

Don't know how you're coming here, but car traveling & parking in the city can be stressful & expensive if you're not accustomed to it. Unlike LA, however, SF has a very extensive bus system for easy getting-around.

#46815 - 01/14/11 09:25 PM Re: San Francisco locals ( a little help) [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
Im from England originally and I'm going for a libarian job at an educational facility. Alot of my artist friends/former clients as I used to work at a gallery, live in the southside because they are involved in apocalyptic machine art projects (which I intend to get involved in myself) and its where there's space for them to work.
I havent visited the city in many years I was 10 years old the last time I went there on a vacation with my parents.

Edited by BaronVonShankly (01/14/11 09:36 PM)

#46820 - 01/14/11 11:18 PM Re: San Francisco locals ( a little help) [Re: BaronVonShankly]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: BaronVonShankly
Im from England originally and I'm going for a libarian job at an educational facility. Alot of my artist friends/former clients as I used to work at a gallery, live in the southside because they are involved in apocalyptic machine art projects (which I intend to get involved in myself) and its where there's space for them to work.

Which school will influence where you look for housing, because they're also scattered all over the city - some closer to BART/Muni, others not.

By "southside" I am guessing that you're referring to what we call "SoMa" (South of Market Street). Google "San Francisco SoMa", "San Francisco SoMa lofts", and "San Francisco SoMa housing". You can also append words like "apartments", "galleries". "restaurants", etc.

BART runs the length of Market Street, and Muni has several buslines in SoMa. Some parts of it are "homeless" hangouts, but other parts are being steadily gentrified.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.015 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.