Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#48199 - 02/06/11 09:44 AM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Opacus Offline
stranger

Loc: Hell
Dr. Aquino, didn't you hear? The world won't be here past 2012

You know, I love ya'll but I really worry that sometimes, we as Satanists just....

Think too damn much.

And don't DO anything lol. Maybe we should all quit our days jobs and be professors.

I still don't have a handle on Satanism 10 years BACK to even think about the future. There's still too much for me to learn even on re-reads of TSB.

But your milege may vary.

O.

#48205 - 02/06/11 11:02 AM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: Jake999]
LittleNicky Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Jake999
Given that the drugged out, brain dead, self delusional people I see posting absolute bullshit on the web every damned day, unable to use common sense or even the simple apostrophe without screwing up have a snowball's chance in hell of being sterilized, in ten years I see Satanism becoming Christianity light.

Here goes my two cents...
From what I see today I would expect that Satanism in 2021 is pretty much a mix of what Jake999 and Dr. Aquino have said.

Dumbing down of the crowds is combining with an increasingly short-term memory of the society in general.

Did any of you catch that Jay Leno's "jaywalking" when he asked people who was US fighting in WWII? Answers like "France" and "Iraq" might raise some eyebrows. But when he asks people what was Hitler's first name and he gets answers like "Robert", "Timothy" and "I don't know that 's like not my generation" then you really know we are screwed.

I work in the IT / Internet field and I notice things like article aggregating services once had a recommendation that each article submitted should have 500 - 900 words.

Now wherever you go you see they recommend 400-700 words. Some even say "around 400 words".

Shorter attention span + dumbing down + short term memory will be a major influence on most of people and how any idea is presented.

So most Satanist will be the teenager type "f*** the church" crowd who will mostly flock into whatever the latest trend is.

I expect at least one heavy metal band leader to start his own Satanism brand because that can rake in some $$$. I am surprised it hasn't happened already with so many low-level bands out there. Someone like Marilyn Manson will come along and just cash in on the teenagers rebelling about whatever.

The number of Satanists of various denominations who can actually have an intelligent conversation will remain about the same because the Gauss curve percentages of people with certain IQs follow the same numbers for decades now and same goes for the distribution of people in various non-mainstream religions.

In short - more of the same as now + more websites with shorter pages and more showbiz in it \:\)

Edited by LittleNicky (02/06/11 11:04 AM)
Edit Reason: typos...

#48216 - 02/06/11 02:01 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: LittleNicky]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: LittleNicky
 Originally Posted By: Jake999
Given that the drugged out, brain dead, self delusional people I see posting absolute bullshit on the web every damned day, unable to use common sense or even the simple apostrophe without screwing up have a snowball's chance in hell of being sterilized, in ten years I see Satanism becoming Christianity light.

Dumbing down of the crowds is combining with an increasingly short-term memory of the society in general.

Forgive my lack of cynicism about the decline of society, but could it be that the plebs were always this dumb, and that the accessibility of cheap information technology simply made it easier for them to broadcast their ignorance in ways that it would previously have taken literacy, wealth, or determination to achieve?

The simpleton has always existed. We just didn't have to hear from him until he could afford a camcorder.

#48218 - 02/06/11 02:31 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: Opacus]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Opacus
Dr. Aquino, didn't you hear? The world won't be here past 2012

Actually you're 1,011 years too late:

#48219 - 02/06/11 02:35 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: XiaoGui17]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: XiaoGui17
... could it be that the plebs were always this dumb?

Absolutely not; there has been definite progress in human social & cultural evolution! Here is undeniable proof:

#48235 - 02/06/11 05:01 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: XiaoGui17]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

I can only agree with XiaoGui.

I have read studies and watched documentaries that concluded (or even had as a basic premise) that industrialized societies of the 21st Century CE showed an increasing tendency towards the secular. Although this was brought up as a lamentable fact (i.e. "What will happen to our culture and our morality?) some pundits had the unmitigated gall (GASP!) to suggest that religion was the calling card of most unenlightened societies, and that although societal moral norms might see a drop, society as a whole would continue as before.

They didn't reach much further than this, though, since to speculate on the development of an industrial society post-J/C let alone post-religion would be a sublime bit of guesswork.

I'll give it a shot, though. There is a certain breed of Man that is endowed with the ability to lead by example and inspire change on a large scale. It can be through the dissemination of a philosophy that panders to the new set of potential psychological archetypes. It can be through a philosophy of self-improvement that gathers public momentum and acquires social acceptance. It can even be through such insidious means as memetic subversion.

However, this is just my opinion on such a development on an anthropological scale. It is based on the contention that mankind is growing out of a given mold and into another beast entirely. I don't welcome or lament this change, I merely note it. I have no intention of changing to fit a trend or a norm, but I should definitely keep abreast of such changes. It would maximize my chances of success, even though my success is not contingent upon the approval of others. I am no hermit; I need a hunting ground and freedom to continue my work.

What the next few generations will bring is quite probably an increase in general IQ level, as per the Gauss curve, but I predict an increasing devaluation of the value of learning and free thought. Why think in this new society? Why learn anything? There will be few constants. Few causes to make men march. Apatopia, to coin a phrase.

In such a society, Satanism will thrive. Many will feel called. Few will be chosen. The need to conceal one's nature will be ever more important, since the mob is fickle and unforgiving.

So basically, I think Satanism will remain what it has ever been since the year I; a fertile breeding ground for those rare people who are prepared to take on their personal Grail Quest and become what others dare not. For everybody else, it will remain a boogieman of steadily diminishing danger, given that no more asinine teenagers take it upon themselves to sacrifice some poor soul "fore teh geloooooreeee ov Sayyyyy-tannnn!"

I think today's generation will have a ball, though. We're riding the crest of the change, with one foot in the pre-information society and another reaching ahead.

The Aeon is coming. Polish your sheep's fleece lest the flock notice.

#48306 - 02/07/11 01:47 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

If I have to base my views about the next ten years of Satanism upon the last ten I observed, I see the majority of it sliding more and more into mediocrity. It will evolve further and further into the cultural gimmick it already is becoming and on average will be populated heavily by pre-teens instead of the teens that flood it now.

On the other hand, the minority in it that doesn't solely use it as that cultural gimmick will grow more and more extreme, not only as a result of disgust upon what they witness but also because in our ever more loving and cuddling societies, extremism is the only logical heterodoxic path.

The stock of cattle after the next decade might be so plentiful, the wolves will suffer a food frenzy.

In ten years, blending in might be hard however since not being fat could already be a major indication of walking on that dreaded path.

D.

#48332 - 02/07/11 08:13 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: Diavolo]
thedeadidea Offline

Satanism in ten years

>Domination of Theistic Satanism--> Numbers game and media
> Collapse of CoS
> New Atheism takes many of the decent players out of modern Satanism
-----------------------------------------------------------------
FOR THE REAL SATANISTS LEFT

> Satanism extends to characterise the world itself through analogical identities (q.v. lucifer principle)
> The world itself embodies more pessimism, skepticism, misanthropic ideals, sarcasm and apathy ---> Translates to the new people calling themselves satanists
> More plural narrative of what is 'Satanic'importation of more relevant eastern texts e.g. The Art of War Tsun Tzu
> 'Stoic' Satanism will arise something like the book of the five rings by Myamoto Musashi
> Retro Satanism trying to be a Lavey purist...
> The entire discourse of occult narrative and identity shifts to narratives so things of the order of Bicameral brain and taking the self as narrative becomes common place. Satan becomes a memetic identity which is analogous to mental tension, friction and colliding worldviews itself. (the battle for discourse)
> Digital Satanism explodes in popularity
> Diabolical Infestation Satanism as art becomes an ideal and many satanists that draw, paint, play music etc try to impinge that upon the culture.
> Fictional depictions of Satanism ??? (would translate it to pop-culture but the work(s) would have to be significant to have any overwhelming effects)

Edited by thedeadidea (02/07/11 08:18 PM)

#48380 - 02/08/11 01:16 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: LittleNicky]
TheInsane Offline

If the CoS is still around I expect it to be even more stagnant. More high profile members will have left and new yes-men will be recruited to the priesthood without earning any titles.
The ToS seem to be stable but I have to wonder what happens post-Aquino. Many groups have a hard time surviving their leaders and even if Aquino hasn’t been the official head of the temple for years now there will always be opportunists who step forth when the founder (and still probably highest authority in the members eyes) disappear (one reason or another).
In general it seems to me that Satanism in Europe develops more according to its own clock so to speak while American Satanism more often tends to develop or become stagnant in relation to something else (usually LaVeyan Satanism).

Originally Posted By: LittleNicky
I expect at least one heavy metal band leader to start his own Satanism brand because that can rake in some $$$. I am surprised it hasn't happened already with so many low-level bands out there. Someone like Marilyn Manson will come along and just cash in on the teenagers rebelling about whatever.

Jon Nödtveid – Dissection (Misanthropic Lucifer Order/Temple of the Black Light). I doubt he and his friends at the top of the org ever made any money out of it. They did seem honest and sincere about their beliefs and I think it wasn’t made for profit at all. They were fairly successful in spreading their ideas in the scene as well. Jon himself committed suicide a few years back claiming it was because he had fulfilled all he wanted in this life (thus not ending it because of depression or such). Who knows but himself just before he did it.

#48394 - 02/08/11 03:09 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: TheInsane]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Talking about 'Satanism' as if anyone that chooses to participate somehow become of its substance, as most in this thread seem to be doing, misses the mark in my opinion.

That certain type that GETS it and finds it natural isn't going to disappear from the earth, and those that don't will always outnumber them. That is to say, what is done under the waving banner of Satanism doesn't mean shit.

Satanism isn't going anywhere. The way in which the followers try to cram themselves into the devils suit does not change the fact that there will always be those that fit into it comfortably.

#48401 - 02/08/11 04:16 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: Dan_Dread]
MindFux Offline

To me Satanism has always been a descriptive, rather than a prescriptive philosophy. It is on occasion represented as being prescriptive, and that is in part down to the pseudo-religious construct LaVey employed in its codification. People are used to religions being prescriptive and seem to heap Satanism onto the prescriptive band wagon.

After all, when many read the Satanic sins some clearly assume they're prescribing things to be avoided (when for the most part they are unavoidable. If you're stupid, you're fucking stupid). It's rather a description of what will piss a certain type of person off, or will be found to be unacceptable by a certain type of person.

LaVey may have packaged it in a suitable counter cultural zeal for the heavy anti-religious sentiment of the late 60s, but he is describing a current that was active long before he wrote about it. A type of individual, a type of critical thought. An approach to life. Anyone following his word (or anyone else's for that matter) isn't exactly representing Satanism. Rather the book describes a certain type of person in my view. You either are that kind of person or you're not.

So the question is, more, where will the Satanic community be in 10 years? My answer is, what fucking community? The CoS, the ONA, and the ToS are the only truly coherent Satanic communities, and even they're about as coherent as a drunken game of chess. Short of a complete collapse of Christianity in the last remaining super power, which is unlikely to take place in the next ten years, there will still be an appeal to a certain type of person in rejecting Christianity manifestly through a label. It will still remain counter cultural to do so and so the type of people the philosophy describes will innately flock to that banner, along with any number of pretenders and wannabes.

I'd imagine with the upsurge of the internet, more people will have their brain melted by ONA, and other similar texts that frankly aren't for the mentally damaged and we'll see a resultant upsurge in internet pretenders, and aside from that life will go on much as normal.

The fact is, without a forum to post on, Satanism would be a largely individual path. The fact is, outside of major cities, and even in major cities, there aren't a huge number of Satanists because it's a way of looking at the world that is innately quite isolating and innately limiting (in the sense not many people think that way). Like having a high IQ, your peer group tends to be quite small by definition. One would assume that would continue also.

Basically ten years form now, I'd imagine Satanism would be much as what it's been for the last 45 years or so. A backwater, fringe group of fierce individuals, surrounded by a rabble of hangers on, communicating rarely and living lives quite independent of their forum identities, communicating via the internet in whatever form is most prevalent. I'm sure a lot more people will call themselves 'Satanists' as general discontent with the postmodern age grows, but the number of true Satanists out there, the ones described by, rather than attempting to conform to the philosophy will always represent a staggeringly small quantity of the population.

Edited by MindFux (02/08/11 04:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Mistakes!

#48516 - 02/09/11 07:13 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: MindFux]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
 Quote:
So the question is, more, where will the Satanic community be in 10 years? My answer is, what fucking community? The CoS, the ONA, and the ToS are the only truly coherent Satanic communities, and even they're about as coherent as a drunken game of chess.

Satanism and Setism work has been produced in more recent years (over the past 50 years) and may be viewed independent from debate. Unlike other religions who have not been forthcoming with an apology (?), Satanism and Setism work was after the world war period.

In fact, quite the opposite approach can be seen through the collection of writings that emphasize genuine intra- and inter- Self dialogue to pursue the underlying thread of religio-cultural, epistemic-philosophical perspectives. Furthermore, the worldview already diagnosed in the west by Nietzsche, Sartre and Camus deserves uncompromising mention.

Ciao.

#48761 - 02/12/11 03:50 PM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: Dan_Dread]
TheInsane Offline

Well, this topic was about what Satanism would look like in the future. I am one who believes that not everyone who claims the title is worthy of it. At the same time I dont believe the shapes Satanism takes will be the same throughout time. It will always be steeped in signs of the times.

We cant really predict anything about individual satanists. We can however predict something about groups that are to be considered Satanic in one way or another. That is how I understand the topic of this thread.

#48776 - 02/13/11 03:05 AM Re: Satanism 10 years forward [Re: TheInsane]
manofsteel Offline

Loc: Indiana U.S.
Well I kind of have to go with what 6 was saying in that if we all look out for ourselves and stand up for our own personal freedoms I think we'll be ok. Noone can judge for the masses because mostly noone has a voice and will speak it. If everyone is proud of who they are and becomes more vocal about it then maybe, just maybe it will make a difference. If all the individuals stand up for their own beliefs and stick to their guns we could have something but usually it always gets shot down. Our freedom to say or do as we please that is.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.