Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#47857 - 02/02/11 02:18 AM The Feast of Fools.
anseoasresere Offline
stranger

Loc: Massachusetts USA
a fascinating celebration. it was celebrated december 17-23 (note discordian reference immediately). at that time december was actually the 10th month, not october. so it would have been celebrated "october" 17-23.

it is an adaptation of saturnalia, which is something i had learned about from a latin class. basically on of the keys to the whole celebration was the masters would serve the servants. (which were more often than not greek slaves)

it could be found all over the empire. asterius said that the silver wrapped treats that were being given during the festival was corrupting the youth, and turning them into materialists.

roman soliders in the south of france would pick a man during saturnalia and he would live like a nobleman for a month. after the month they would cut his throat on "the altar of saturn."

this is an example of a kind of mania that probably set in, just like sports fans destroying their neighborhoods. maybe, i dont know. but apparently it spread all over europe, at least certain aspects, though it was most popular in scotland, england and france.

when christianity was being established and the papacy was in line the title of mock pope, mock archbishop and mock abbot were added to the celebration. (i was reminded of the "templar" initiations)

in scotland this master of ceromonies was named the abbot of unreason; in france prince des sots; in britain the lord of misrule.

it was generally viewed for what it was in the eyes of the papacy and it was suppressed around the 13th century and it was completely stopped in england by mary in 1555. (if im not mistaken)

the book Le Mystere des Cathedrales makes the hunchback of notre dame a little more interesting.

Fulcanelli

Edited by anseoasresere (02/02/11 02:22 AM)

#47989 - 02/03/11 05:28 PM Re: The Feast of Fools. [Re: anseoasresere]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
 Quote:
roman soliders in the south of france would pick a man during saturnalia and he would live like a nobleman for a month. after the month they would cut his throat on "the altar of saturn."

This was also a basis for the book/film "The Wicker Man". The May King of folk celebrations is also a survival of this. One also sees a connection to the archetype of "The Fool" present in Tarot imagery.

There is a particular medieval mystery play of this myth that portrays the symbolic death of the Fool, who soon rises up in rebirth at the climax of the play, while the chorus sings an interesting song laden with occult interpretation. I cannot remember the name of it now, and am seemingly unable to find reference to it in my books at the moment. Maybe someone else can help me out.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.