Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#479 - 09/19/07 04:24 PM Unnecessary Anger
Mercury_Templar Offline
93 93/93

Loc: Cabarita, Vic, Australia
There seems to be an awful lot of people misreading posts at the moment and taking offence to certain replies they get. One problem I have spotted, amongst many, is that people do not read who the responses are intended for. Here is the solution.

Please read who the post reply is intended for before getting too passionate about your response. If you look next to the section that reiterates the post subject, afterwards it also tells you who the response is regarding. It states "Re: Darkdude666".

I hope this helps.

M.'.T.'.
VE-GEDULAH
LE-OLAM
AMEN

#990 - 10/09/07 01:40 AM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: Mercury_Templar]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Ok, I will do that.

Thank you for taking the time to make this post.

#998 - 10/09/07 11:03 AM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: 97and107]
MCSA TEK Offline
pledge

Loc: Orlando Fl USA
If you don't mind me adding something to this subject.

I have noticed that many people here have gotten into the habit of posting just to speak. I feel that we would be much better off as a Forum if we refrained from doing that. I for one, only post a response when I feel that I have something of value to add to the thread.

I also believe that it shows real disrespect to the thread starter who took the time to share something interesting with us, when we reduce the thread to cat fights and pissing contests.

I completely understand why this happens. We spend so much time here that we become emotionally invested in the Forum. Sometimes this gets taken too far and we start taking things personally.

Just remember that this is a virtual community of anonymous people. Some of whom are simply playing a fictional role. As long as we keep thing in perspective and respect the Forum, things should smooth out.

Chris

#1001 - 10/09/07 11:39 AM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: MCSA TEK]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
 Originally Posted By: MCSA TEK
I have noticed that many people here have gotten into the habit of posting just to speak. I feel that we would be much better off as a Forum if we refrained from doing that. I for one, only post a response when I feel that I have something of value to add to the thread.

Some of us rejoined before the rules page was up… Perhaps some of us forgot the rules from the old forum… When it becomes a serious enough issue the mods will be a modding… (did you notice the locked thread already it has begun)

Forums are also for differing opinions I for one enjoy having my opinion bashed here and there to see if after different perspectives it changes or remains solid… As long as it is done intelligently…

Quote:
I also believe that it shows real disrespect to the thread starter who took the time to share something interesting with us, when we reduce the thread to catfights and pissing contests.

Sometimes the disrespect is in what is being shared…

Quote:
I completely understand why this happens. We spend so much time here that we become emotionally invested in the Forum. Sometimes this gets taken too far and we start taking things personally.

Taking anything personally that is written by someone online is pitiful… This is not a job you are free to come and go as you please… If you feel you spend too much time here go do something real… Sticking around to post when you cannot control your own emotions is counterproductive don’t you think?

Quote:
Just remember that this is a virtual community of anonymous people. Some of whom are simply playing a fictional role.

You make this sound like second life or some RPG… Is this how you truly feel? That those of us other than the occasional troll are role playing?

Quote:
As long as we keep thing in perspective and respect the Forum, things should smooth out.

Perhaps what is rough for some is fact for others… Is this forum too rough for you?

I leave you with the first few lines of a post I was writing…

What is a forum?

A forum is constructed for the purpose of bringing together a place for people, who share a common ideal to collect and share their thoughts… This ideal can be gaming, a style of life, a health issue, or any number of things that people can be interested in…

Reflect

~T~

#1004 - 10/09/07 12:44 PM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: ta2zz]
Cody Offline
pledge

As for me, I couldn't care less about what someone else "feels", I am here for my own entertainment (as I have stated before). What you say unto others is of no consequence to me, I will keep doing what I do with or without you.

Edited by Cody (10/09/07 12:45 PM)

#1009 - 10/09/07 03:24 PM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: Mercury_Templar]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
 Quote:
Please read who the post reply is intended for

It's a bit hard to keep track of to whom a reply is intended to since everyone tends to hit the reply button on the previous poster even though the reply wasn't meant for him/her. Which is something I find slightly annoying and disrespectful if they're too lazy to scroll up the page and reply to the person intended.

#1028 - 10/10/07 11:17 AM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: MaggotFaceMoe]
Sliver Offline
stranger

Loc: Georgia, USA
 Originally Posted By: MaggotFaceMoe
It's a bit hard to keep track of to whom a reply is intended to since everyone tends to hit the reply button on the previous poster even though the reply wasn't meant for him/her. Which is something I find slightly annoying and disrespectful if they're too lazy to scroll up the page and reply to the person intended.

Well one thing I noticed is that some people are viewing this as a Threaded board. Most current forums don't do the threading the way this forum does.

Most forums that I use don't break out who is posting to whom, they just accept that you are posting on the main topic. The older threaded systems of BBS are kind of lost on those who did not start with them.

That's just my 2 cents anyway.

#1043 - 10/10/07 11:32 PM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: Sliver]
Old Spider Offline
stranger

*steals 2 cents*
#1049 - 10/11/07 01:37 PM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: Old Spider]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Old Spider
*steals 2 cents*

A fine example of this diarrhea of the keyboard can be seen above…

“I have noticed that many people here have gotten into the habit of posting just to speak. I feel that we would be much better off as a Forum if we refrained from doing that. ~ MCSA TEK”

Yes they have…

~T~

#1056 - 10/12/07 07:14 AM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: ta2zz]
Sliver Offline
stranger

Loc: Georgia, USA
I am mixed about this. A forum should be a place for people to get together and discuss ideas and so forth, but it should also be someplace to go to have some fun.

Personally I got a small chuckle out of the pointless post, but in that chuckle, I gave the post a point.

Now if it was simply a "FIRST POST" or "Stick it in her butt" then yes I could completely agree with you.

#1059 - 10/12/07 10:57 AM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: Sliver]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Sliver
it should also be someplace to go to have some fun.

Personally I got a small chuckle out of the pointless post, but in that chuckle, I gave the post a point.

Well I will not argue that one man's fun is another's folly... I will not argue that you found a point to it, it was a reply to you...

But I will point out that my point is that such comments can be made in the shoutbox or in a PM...

That is all I will say about this... Just sharing my opinion...

~T~

#1523 - 11/07/07 09:05 AM Re: Unnecessary Anger [Re: Mercury_Templar]
SSSnake Offline
pledge

Loc: PA. U.S.A.
I'am guilty of all, I bow my head in shame and thank you for teaching me of my wrong. I will learn from my mistakes!

"my life is as a candle
sometimes it shines
sometimes its dark
sometimes not lit" 192 divided by 3 plus 602 = wisdom

D.L.B.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.