Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4791 - 03/05/08 09:43 AM Les Minihan
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
On the 14th of December 2007, my grandfather Les Minihan sadly perished after battling Lung Cancer for almost 2 years. Although I did not know the man quite that well, he still had a large impact on my father's life (real father was/is an alcoholic prick, and mother commited suicide when he was 13) and was the only father-figure my father ever had in his 49 years of life. Sadly I was on a deployment in Iraq when he passed away, so I could not attend the funeral.

Over the weekend just passed, the family decided that upon my return from overseas, they would hold a small gathering and ceremony in dedication to my grandfather. As he was cremated, we had dug a large hole in the backyard (sounds weird, but it's a family thing) and laid to rest the ashes of my grandfather - along with a Trophy he received for his former Golfing years. He was a keen golfer, and loved playing each weekend.

There is no real meaning for this thread; I honestly have no idea why I started it - but I wanted to pay tribute to my grandfather as he is truly missed, and I know that perhaps if I had chosen a different occupation, I may have been able to spend those last few weeks with him. I know that it is something I can't get back, but I can try to make the best of the current situation.

So, to a wonderful man who filled the hearts of those whom he came into contact with, with love, joy and compassion - may you Rest In Peace.

#4813 - 03/05/08 02:58 PM Re: Les Minihan [Re: DaVinci]
ballbreaker Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Don't take this too personally, but is this really the right place to post an obituary?
#4814 - 03/05/08 03:01 PM Re: Les Minihan [Re: DaVinci]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I believe that in most cases, grand parents are under rated, and their knowledge and life experience is not appreciated for all they are worth by younger generations.
Often times, they are lost to us, before we realize how important they can truly be.

#4815 - 03/05/08 03:02 PM Re: Les Minihan [Re: ballbreaker]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Don't take this too personally, but is this really the right place to post an obituary?

It sure beats a lot of the other shit that people post here.

#4824 - 03/05/08 05:57 PM Re: Les Minihan [Re: DaVinci]
Equilibrio Offline
pledge

Loc: Missouri
This is quite a nice post, actually.

It acts as a reminder to not only cherish the little time we have to spend in this incarnation, but also let's us know how valuable even abstract relationships can be.

Today, I drink to Les...whom I never met, but probably knew on one level or another.

Hail, Les...

#4855 - 03/06/08 05:34 AM Re: Les Minihan [Re: Equilibrio]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
Thank you, all. Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Asmedious
I believe that in most cases, grand parents are under rated, and their knowledge and life experience is not appreciated for all they are worth by younger generations.
Often times, they are lost to us, before we realize how important they can truly be.

I agree 100%. I've always looked to my Grandparents for advice because after all, they've had years and years to experience the things I'm only just beginning to learn about and probably won't actually physically or emotionally experience for many years to come. I have great respect for all elders; not just those of a direct relation.

Originally Posted By: Equilibrio
This is quite a nice post, actually.

It acts as a reminder to not only cherish the little time we have to spend in this incarnation, but also let's us know how valuable even abstract relationships can be.

Today, I drink to Les...whom I never met, but probably knew on one level or another.

Hail, Les...

Thank you kindly. He was quite the drinker actually, and enjoyed his afternoon stubbie of home brew, or the thirst-crushing taste of XXXX Gold or Victoria Bitter. He was a good man and, if there is such thing as a Heaven, I bet he's up there playing golf with Bob Rose and chugging down a few stubbies.

Originally Posted By: ballbreaker

Probably not; but he was a man worth paying tribute to so I intend on doing so. No offence taken, lad.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.