Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#48482 - 02/09/11 01:45 PM Questions about technicalities
Black Panther Offline
stranger

Loc: Plano, TX, USA
Much of my research is from Wikipedia and I will say that up front before anything else. I read what "Occult" is and it simply means "hidden". Okay, but they also talked about it having to do with the supernatural. I'm an atheistic LaVeyan (I add "atheistic" because I've been told it doesn't matter if you believe in any deities, as long as you see the "deity" within yourself) who was suppressed by my family's fundamentalist Baptist Christian beliefs, so I'm not going to know anywhere near everything in LaVeyan Satanism. This leads up to my main question, is LaVeyan Satanism more Occult or atheistic? "Occult" is hidden, and we're obviously hidden, but most of us don't have any belief in the supernatural that I'm aware of. Satanism encourages pride, but I'm also aware of when I need to be humble, and I approach you all with this question in a humble way.

#48485 - 02/09/11 02:09 PM Re: Questions about technicalities [Re: Black Panther]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not occult (hidden) any more. All of the information anyone would ever need about Satanism is readily available at your local Barnes & Noble.

The personal application of Satanic thought is probably where it remains occult (though some are quite open about what they do with it).

The Atheist part is something that's always bandied about and never fully agreed upon. I'm personally more 'agnostic' as science would define the word versus how christians would define the word (ie, I'm interested in studying mysteries, but am not to the point where I can make any real definitive claims). I'm comfortable with saying that there's a ton of stuff I don't understand. In modern parlance, 'Atheist' is understood by many to mean that man has all the answers or is capable of understanding all mystery through science at some future point.

I'm not sure you'll find many Satanists who are willing to draw that hard of a line in the sand. Part of the philosophy lies in burning down old ideas to make room for things that make better sense. You can't really do this if you're convinced 100% about much at all.

Belief is something that comes with little credibility and is often an emotional response.

Dorothy, Tin Man, Lion & Scarecrow all believed there was something rather supernatural about that large glowing head in the middle of the room. That little devil dog Toto was the only one to put fear aside and investigate.

Doubt (and the application thereof) is more important than taking on any label (Atheism, for example). To define something before investigating it fully is to put it into a box while leaving some parts behind.

Sorry if I'm being unclear. Multitasking is to blame.

#48488 - 02/09/11 02:22 PM Re: Questions about technicalities [Re: Black Panther]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

Loc: 65?1%833Q!92A24 (It's a code)
There is no such thing as "supernatural". The minute you can jettison that faulty category, the rest will probably click into place . . .

JK

#48489 - 02/09/11 02:23 PM Re: Questions about technicalities [Re: Black Panther]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Fnord makes some good points. I would like to add that Wiki is not a totally credible source of information. The best information to start with on Satanism is to read the book. It's free to read in the media room. After that, check out the recommended reading list and start diving into the available knowledge.

You are the only one who knows the best way to lead your life. Whether Satanism is right for you, whether coming out to your family or friends is even needed or necessary.

There is a lot of information on this site, enjoy your stay.

Morgan

#48493 - 02/09/11 02:31 PM Re: Questions about technicalities [Re: Jason King]
Black Panther Offline
stranger

I myself realize that there's no such thing as the supernatural, but many people profess belief in it. Then again, the majority of the USA believe in things that aren't there, regardless of what they are.

#48494 - 02/09/11 02:31 PM Re: Questions about technicalities [Re: Black Panther]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Satanism simply remains Satanism. It can be called an occult philosophy since most tend to think that the information within the philosophy is hidden. Can't say they are wrong, the only nuance that is to be made is the information not being hidden in the sense of secret texts, rituals, practices or experiences but more in ideas already known but simply not spoken out.

If you want to believe it is an occult philosophy, whatever. Just use common sense and take things as they are, learn what should be learned and don't get lost in thousands of texts of dry theory and details.

Start your journey and find out for yourself if it is Atheistic or Occult. It just happens to depend on your view and experiences. Be sure you'll transcend from the one choice towards the other and backwards.

Information, well the internet is plenty of it. Wikipedia sometimes gives quite a good summarizing. Just check the footnotes and read the literature on which they made the text.
Getting to the source most of the time the best option.

Edited by Dimitri (02/09/11 02:34 PM)

#48495 - 02/09/11 02:32 PM Re: Questions about technicalities [Re: Morgan]
Black Panther Offline
stranger

I've read "The Satanic Bible", that's actually how I came about realizing that I'm a Satanist. I will read what is on the recommendation list, thank you very much. I will enjoy my stay, thanks again \:\)

#48499 - 02/09/11 02:47 PM Re: Questions about technicalities [Re: Black Panther]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

Loc: 65?1%833Q!92A24 (It's a code)
 Originally Posted By: Black Panther
I myself realize that there's no such thing as the supernatural, but many people profess belief in it. Then again, the majority of the USA believe in things that aren't there, regardless of what they are.

That's great, but you still need to jettison the category.

The set X may be meaningful (i.e. non-vacuous in at least one possible world), yet void of phenomenal instantiations. At first glance, the set S (ranging across all "supernatural events") appears to be such a class. However, this is nothing more than a trick of the mind, and S happens to be vacuous in all possible worlds.

JK

#48510 - 02/09/11 03:31 PM Re: Questions about technicalities [Re: Dimitri]
Black Panther Offline
stranger

What I find is often difficult to define in itself is just how subjective Satanism really is, which is exactly how you can conclude to tell me to figure out for myself if it's Atheistic or Occult. However, this about Satanism is one of the many, many things I enjoy and embrace.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.