Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#49058 - 02/17/11 05:48 PM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: Fnord]
LucyFur Offline

Loc: Bible Belt, USA
Fnord,

Understood, and in this case, grocked.

As much as I want to see this movie, I know that it will be sad to see how they have profaned it by glitzing it up and dumbing it down just to make a buck.

It is ironic that we live in the information age, an age where damn near everything we want to know is at our fingertips, yet, the majority of people remain ignorant. And the rest of us pay for the ignorance of others in countless ways.

For an excellent example of the effect of epidemic ignorance on society see the movie Idiocracy. While the humor in it makes it a family favorite in my house, the first viewing usually elicits a painful acknowledgment of the reality in which we live.

#49071 - 02/17/11 08:39 PM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: LucyFur]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: LucyFur
As much as I want to see this movie, I know that it will be sad to see how they have profaned it by glitzing it up and dumbing it down just to make a buck.

The producers' main motivation was to get the message out there, not profit. (Which is ironic, given that it glorifies men who proudly declare their primary motivation is to make money.) They are very much dedicated to Rand's philosophy. In the event that they did inject it with glitz, it would be to attract a larger audience to hear what it has to say, not to make more off ticket sales.

It was an uphill battle to get this film made in the first place, and they couldn't do everything they would have liked. If anything, it's lacking glamor. Angelina Jolie had committed to playing Dagny, claiming that she was “the most relatable character” in “all the extensive literature” she had read. I wonder how they lost her. It’s a pity, because she would have attracted people to the film.

#49083 - 02/18/11 02:16 AM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: XiaoGui17]
LucyFur Offline

That is true - Jolie would have attracted a large audience. Good to know they were motivated to get the message out but that begs the question why they didn't make it a period piece to stay true to the story. And even if their primary motivation was to make lots of money, that wouldn't bother me so much as changing the 'feel' of it in order to appeal to the mainstream.

I still plan to see it though! In fact, I am looking forward to it. And if I am disappointed I can always go home and re-read the book!

#49084 - 02/18/11 03:21 AM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: LucyFur]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Good to know they were motivated to get the message out but that begs the question why they didn't make it a period piece to stay true to the story.

The article that told me about Jolie confirmed the rumor; it was a budget shortage. It was easier to use what clothes, cars, phones, etc. people have today than to compile older versions of them. With a modernized version, they can shoot it with the current city as the background. For a period piece, they'll either have to assemble a set or green-screen and insert an old-looking city. Either way, it's too expensive.

I still plan to see it though! In fact, I am looking forward to it. And if I am disappointed I can always go home and re-read the book!

My thoughts exactly. If people are disappointed with the film, I hope they'll give the book a shot to see what all the buzz is about.

Edited by XiaoGui17 (02/18/11 03:22 AM)
Edit Reason: quote blooper

#49094 - 02/18/11 11:18 AM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: XiaoGui17]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: XiaoGui17
For a period piece, they'll either have to assemble a set or green-screen and insert an old-looking city. Either way, it's too expensive.

The movie’s website, Atlas Shrugged Part 1 , says that the actual budget is closer to $25 million, and therefore the film is not a low budget effort as many feared. SOURCE

So if the budget is $25 Million for the first part they should have called Kerry Conran and Stephen Lawes.

I'm sure that after making Sky Captain they are now production experts with After Effects etc and could likely produce the look indicated by the book within budget constraints especially since the work involved would be more backdrop type stuff versus flying scenes and walking robots (plus those guys have an in with Jolie since she agreed to work on Sky Captain because she dug the project).

Oh well, I'm talking out of my ass. It is what it is. It makes me want to bust out Flash and After Effects and have a go \:\) .

#49156 - 02/19/11 03:20 PM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: Fnord]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Originally Posted By: Fnord
The movie’s website, Atlas Shrugged Part 1, says that the actual budget is closer to $25 million, and therefore the film is not a low budget effort as many feared. SOURCE

Ah, OK. My source was old... the same source that said Jolie was going to be playing Dagny. It would appear they've been able to increase the budget since then.

That being said, the same myth-busting article also clarified:

Originally Posted By: Atlas Shrugged Movie

“Hollywood” won’t have a chance to ruin it. Many people have complained that Hollywood will inevitably water down Ayn Rand’s themes, but actually there were no major studios involved. The first part of the trilogy was financed out of John Aglialoro’s pocket. The pre-production, shooting, and post processes were not supervised by a studio representative the same way other movies are.

Maybe the setting in modern times is meant to emphasize the film's relevance? Perhaps it's an attempt to bop viewers over the head with the idea that this kind of thing is happening today.

Of course, the fact that it features railways in modern times seems to have led some people to miss the point entirely.

#49157 - 02/19/11 03:29 PM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: XiaoGui17]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Quote:
...the film was directed by Paul Johansson, actor/director of "One Tree Hill" fame.

That does not sit well with me. \:D

I think this film will draw a special audience strictly consisting of people who know what they are going to see. So I doubt there will be much of a problem concerning people not "getting it".

#49306 - 02/21/11 05:31 PM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I have a strong feeling this movie will actually bomb. Atlas Shrugged is a solid book, but the movie, to the average viewer, will seem like a bunch of people standing around in executive offices spouting awkward allusions to individualism and creativity. Oh, and something about trains.

In all honesty the execution looks kinda sub-par, despite the obscene budget this must have.

#49313 - 02/21/11 06:58 PM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: The Zebu]
LucyFur Offline

Unless they really glitzed it up and added a lot of pointless action, I am afraid you are probably right. Our dumbed-down society is not sophisticated enough to catch on to the real message

Reminds of the time when the Matrix came out. The newscasters in my town were remarking that they tried, but just didn't get it... All three of them were nodding their heads in agreement with one another that it was way over their heads.

#50303 - 03/02/11 01:00 AM Re: Atlas Shrugged: the movie [Re: LucyFur]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Update: Hustle Bear (one of the blogs I follow) wrote a review of the film entitled, "I’m So Relieved, The Atlas Shrugged Movie is Fantastic." It even has some clips.

If you want the film to play in your area, you should demand it on Eventful. The makers of the film are encouraging fans to do so in order to demonstrate to theaters that there is a market for it.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.