Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#48819 - 02/14/11 10:45 AM Louis Theroux
Daafje666 Offline
pledge

Loc: The Netherlands
Louis Theroux' documentaries always get me. Not only are the subjects very diverse, he is the best documentarie maker at this point to my opinion.

What I think is special about him is the way he presents himself during an interview. By taking on the role of the somewhat dumb and na´ve interviewer, he makes sure that he isn't a threat to anyone. And by that he gets even the most notorious people talking.

Have any of you seen any of his documentaries, and what do you think about his particulary style of interviewing?

#48822 - 02/14/11 11:46 AM Re: Louis Theroux [Re: Daafje666]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I love Louis Theroux's work and often watch his documentaries more than once. The one with the notorious Western Baptist Church makes for jaw-dropping viewing; I especially like the bit when Louis asks the sanctimonious Shirley Phelps-Roper which of her sons is the "illegitimate" one.

Theroux's innocent abroad persona is perfect for provoking people into saying what they mean, without prevarication. He often puts himself in considerable danger, too for example with both the Black and White Supremacist groups he visited.

Despite his tongue-in-cheek approach, however, I've never found Louis Theroux to be disrespectful or cruel. He's open-minded enough to genuinely listen to UFO watchers, modern day vampires and other eccentrics and immerse himself in their world for a time. That's what makes him so watchableand his programmes so compelling \:\)

#50318 - 03/02/11 07:29 AM Re: Louis Theroux [Re: felixgarnet]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I like him a lot, and his technique of interviewing is amazing.
I am told that he his in the habit of spending considerable time with his subjects, (essential for any half-decent documentarist).
Also; when he smells blood, he tends to lock his "friendly" jaws in the crotch of of his subjects, repeating slightly rephrased versions of the original question until he meets substance.

Saw this one the other night.
As a slightly disturbed individual, with slightly disturbed children, I felt like making a disturbance...

Woland

Contra Mundum!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.