Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#48825 - 02/14/11 01:12 PM Algol -- The Demon Star
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
I’ve had a fondness for Algol, “The Demon Star”, since learning of its earthly mythology.

From Wikipedia [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algol ]:
“The name Algol derives from Arabic رأس الغول ra's al-ghūl : head (ra's) of the ogre (al-ghūl) (see "ghoul"; as an eclipsing binary, the star would undergo regular changes in brightness), which was given from its position in the constellation Perseus, representing the head of Gorgon Medusa. The English names of ‘Demon Star’ and ‘Blinking Demon’ are direct translations. In Hebrew folklore it was known as Rōsh ha Sāṭān 'Satan's Head', via Edmund Chilmead, who called it 'Divels head' or Rosch hassatan. A Latin term from the 16th century was Caput Larvae 'Spectre's Head'. It was also linked with Lilith. Hipparchus and Pliny made this a separate, though connected, constellation.”

The fact the binary stars are nearly 93 light years from Earth demonstrates how limited manned space exploration is to this point. The two Voyager probes are only now reaching the extreme outer limits of this solar system.
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/

Even if humans could eventually develop faster than light manned space travel it would take so long to get most anywhere (and all the while dragging along all the supplies needed for the crews).
http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/mirrors/physicsfaq/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html

http://news.discovery.com/space/warp-drive-spaceship-engine.html

#48831 - 02/14/11 04:08 PM Piled-Up Corpses & Translite Travel [Re: Tesseract]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tesseract
I’ve had a fondness for Algol, “The Demon Star”, since learning of its earthly mythology.

From Wikipedia [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algol ]:
“The name Algol derives from Arabic رأس الغول ra's al-ghūl : head (ra's) of the ogre (al-ghūl) (see "ghoul"; as an eclipsing binary, the star would undergo regular changes in brightness), which was given from its position in the constellation Perseus, representing the head of Gorgon Medusa. The English names of ‘Demon Star’ and ‘Blinking Demon’ are direct translations. In Hebrew folklore it was known as Rōsh ha Sāṭān 'Satan's Head', via Edmund Chilmead, who called it 'Divels head' or Rosch hassatan. A Latin term from the 16th century was Caput Larvae 'Spectre's Head'. It was also linked with Lilith. Hipparchus and Pliny made this a separate, though connected, constellation.”

Well, you failed to continue on to the Chinese: "It is known as 大陵五 (the Fifth Star of the Mausoleum) in Chinese astronomy, and also bore the grim name Tseih She (叠尸 - die2 shi1 in Modern Pinyin), meaning 'piled up corpses'."

Quote:
Even if humans could eventually develop faster than light manned space travel it would take so long to get most anywhere (and all the while dragging along all the supplies needed for the crews).

Not in the least; this all stems from Einstein's flawed physics.

Originally Posted By: STF General Raj Dakkar, Technical Commentary, The Dark Side
TRANSLITE VELOCITY FLIGHT

At the time you will be receiving this transmission, your own understanding of velocities will probably still be based upon the misapprehension that faster-than-light travel is impossible. Many years ago one of our own academicians, a Professor Unistone, drew the same conclusion. He said in his Special Theory of Relativity that all velocities were relative except that of light, and it followed from this assumption that material objects could not accelerate past that velocity and remain material.

The fallacy in Unistone’s Special Theory is that it postulates a similar characteristic (relative velocity) for everything in the Universe except one thing (light). An exception to a theory invalidates the theory as a general law. A corrected Special Theory provides for relative velocities of all phenomena, light included.

What makes the original Special Theory acceptable and even demonstrable is that it does hold true for evidence of actual phenomena that is conveyed by light waves or slower media. In other words, the detectable results of experiments - including those which have supposedly validated the original Special Theory - are conveyed to observers via sensory impressions which are functions of wave emissions or reflections. As actual object velocities increase, our senses and those of test instruments register distortions of mass and energy. But this is a distortion of the transmission process and not of the actual object. In the three-dimensional space in which it exists, it undergoes no mass/energy transformation whatever (save, of course, loss of propulsion energy).

Hence it is entirely possible for our starships to travel faster than light. Such a ship merely accelerates past 186,000 mps (relative to its point of departure), and in the process of doing so it remains unchanged (to itself). To an observer standing on a platform against whose motion the relative 186,000 mps is being measured, however, certain peculiar things would seem to happen:

From the rear the ship would seem to undergo mass-conversion and then to vanish altogether upon reaching relative light-speed, because the detectable emissions receding from it towards the observer would arrive at a slower and slower rate of speed and finally cease to come altogether once the ship exceeds relative light-speed. At that moment the net direction of the emissions would be away from the observer ... in the same direction as the ship.

Seen from the side, the ship’s image would undergo other distortions stemming from the high lateral velocity - again relative to the observer - of the emitted waves of energy. And seen from the front, the ship’s image would also appear distorted, because the emitted waves would be approaching the observer at more than 186,000 mps.

One of the implications of these facts is that the acceleration or deceleration of time, which follows from the original Special Theory, is also wrong. Time would appear to be distorted as the emissions or reflections by which an observer on the ship or the platform measures the time of the other object became slower (receding) or faster (approaching). But again this would be a distortion of the transmission process and not of the objects themselves. On each object time would pass at the same rate. A spaceship traveling away from your Earth would seem to be populated by “slower” astronauts as seen through an Earth-telescope or television. On its return trip it would seem to be populated by “faster” astronauts. Upon returning to Earth the astronauts would be found to have aged at precisely the same rate as their terrestrial counterparts.

Assuming relative velocity for light also means that a ship would never accelerate relative to a “fixed” light speed. Its acceleration past the speed of light could only be measured against the relative velocities of light-emissions from other objects - stars, orbiting planets, etc. Were a starship to exceed light-velocity traveling away from your Earth, it would seem to an Earth-based observer to vanish. To an observer on the ship, however, Earth would appear to exceed light-speed and vanish.

Once you understand the foregoing, you will also be able to resolve the apparently paradoxical mathematics of “black holes” - which, in the Unistonian sense, do not exist. What your astronomers and physicists have identified as “black holes” are in fact ordinary neutron stars.

The ion-engine starships used by both the Rebellion and the Empire were generally capable of cruising velocities of 101,000 times the speed of light. Representative travel-times would thus be approximately a month of your time between Tatooine, the Planet of Sith, and the Hub [which are located in a rough equilateral triangle]. From the Planet of Sith to Bralane takes about seven weeks, while a trip from Tatooine to Bralane takes only three weeks. Because of the curvature of the Beta Doradus spur, it took General Terclis’ forces from four to six weeks to reach their respective initial positions in the Second Star War. Terclis’ Death Star reached its own initial position approximately four weeks after leaving the Hub. [These time factors are all incorporated into the events of this history, of course.]

TRANSLITE CHANNELS (TLC)

Because of a translite starship’s inability to take coherent readings of objects of mass whose relative velocity compared to it is greater than that of light, it is essentially “blind” once it achieves translite velocity. The risk of collision with objects of mass became a real danger to translite ships for this reason. Despite the vastness of space, a ship traveling at several hundred thousand times the speed of light runs the risk of encountering various particles in its path. And striking even a single small meteorite at that relative velocity would mean instantaneous destruction for the ship and its crew.

In order to achieve safe translite travel throughout the Galactic Empire in Andromeda, therefore, we developed a network of “Translite Channels (TLC)” - essentially long vector-paths through space that were kept free of matter by stringent computer monitoring and destruction of objects which might intrude into the channel. Translite travel outside of these channels was too dangerous to be practical, with the exception of long-range probe ships equipped with AMPs.

#48846 - 02/15/11 12:59 AM Re: Algol -- The Demon Star [Re: Tesseract]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL

I've recently taken up stargazing whenever I can, and it's really helped me appreciate some of the more subtle aspects of ancient astrology. Algol is a certain favorite of mine, too.

This particular treatise is a rather interesting look at the Divell's Head from an alternative perspective, drawing similarities between Algol's depiction as a severed head, and accounts of the Templar idol (Baphomet) also being a severed head with similar occult powers.

One, of course, is also drawn to the ONA's portrayal of Baphomet as a "Mistress of Blood". The dark goddess of witchcraft, Herodias (sometimes conflated with Salome), is similarly depicted with the head of John the Baptist, and regarded by medieval folklore as the consort of Lucifer.

(I have many macabre neoclassical paintings framed in my apartment, but this one in particular always seems to simultaneously disturb and fascinate visitors the most.)

This all comprises a wonderful tapestry of dark mythology that- rather than attempting to systematically draw up cut-and-dry correspondences- is best appreciated for the eclectic chaos that constitutes the whole, as it is.

Algol, in my perspective, serves as a perpetual reminder of the demonic forces of cosmic unrest that are always present in the universe. You can try to cut off the Devil's head, but he (or she) never quite stops winking at you.

Edited by The Zebu (02/15/11 01:12 AM)

#48848 - 02/15/11 01:24 AM Re: Algol -- The Demon Star [Re: Tesseract]
Tesseract Offline

M.A.A.:
I just wanted to provide a teaser excerpt in my original post, but yes -- there’s more interesting information in just that Wikipedia entry alone. I’ll stick with my limited layman’s understanding of the currently accepted theories of the physics involved with FTL travel/communications, but of course try watching for new developments in the field…

The Zebu:
The prevalence of light pollution affecting the night skies for most everyone not living in rural settings is a shame. I think it’s really added to the continually growing sense of detachment from much of the natural world around us (for those living in industrialized societies). I’ve bookmarked the link you’ve provided, and will try to read the material in the near future. The image of Salome with the head of John is quite striking. For original art in my house I lean heavily towards mainly abstract and non-representational.

#48955 - 02/16/11 02:14 PM Re: Algol -- The Demon Star / FTL Travel [Re: Tesseract]
Tesseract Offline

I’ve just started reading this article, which seems to be part of a website on science fiction writing:

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/fasterlight.php

That particular page examines the problems related to incorporating faster than light travel in science fiction. The piece seems so far to be an interesting introduction to the matter, and provides links to more technical and academic examinations of the theory of Special Relativity.

#48970 - 02/16/11 07:06 PM Re: Algol -- The Demon Star / FTL Travel [Re: Tesseract]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tesseract
I’ve just started reading this article, which seems to be part of a website on science fiction writing ... That particular page examines the problems related to incorporating faster than light travel in science fiction.

That's a fun page, but it's still hagridden by Einstein's wrong Special Relativity Theory. It gets better when it says the hell with it and goes on to finger-snap "solutions" such as Star Trek's warp-drive, etc.

I had a déjà vu moment when I got down to Starforce Alpha Centauri. When I was writing The Dark Side, I decided to coordinate all of the locations/velocities/distances in the story, so that people/entities would arrive coincidentally realistically. This is a pretty good trick in intragalactic travel. I finally decided to wargame the story using both Starforce AC for the [relatively!] close-in stuff and its brother-game Outreach for the intragalactic stuff. Doubtless there are better/easier computer-models of the Milky Way (which doubled for Andromenda in TDS) today, but in 1977-81 this had to suffice. At least no reader has yet written me to complain that the Sith Ship couldn't have gone from the Hub to X in Y time yet. I'm sure that every SW geek remembers Han Solo's famous flubadub in Star Wars when he mentioned "parsecs" as a unit of velocity, not distance:

Originally Posted By: Han Solo to Obi-wan Kenobi, Star Wars
"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? She's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. She's fast enough for you, old man.

The Dark Side denizens got up to translite velocity using both ion and photon engines. You saw IEs in the SW films, and General D. went on to discuss PEs:

Originally Posted By: STF General Raj Dakkar, Technical Commentary, The Dark Side
PHOTON ENGINES

These are the most powerful engines known to our physicists. As of this writing only two starships have been equipped with them - Lord Darth Vader’s starship and Lord Han Solo’s Millennium Eagle. Both ships carry two PEX-4C photon engines, although the Eagle also carries five K-80 ion engines as well.

The photon is a particle of zero mass caused by the combination of atoms of matter and antimatter and accompanied by an explosive power hundreds of times more powerful than that of hydrogen bomb fusion. Thus the engine is a propulsion application of the AMP-principle. Whereas our IE-powered ships have an effective cruising velocity of 101,000xlite, the two PEX-4C powered ships have a theoretical velocity of 2,000,000xlite. Such speeds are only possible via the use of bow-AMPs on both ships; otherwise even the extremely rarified interstellar plasma would be deadly.

This is General D's second reference to AMPs, so about them:

Originally Posted By: General Dakkar
ANTI-MATTER PROJECTORS (AMP)

Anti-matter projectors (AMP) are devices designed to emit harmonious streams of positrons and antiprotons through the bombardment of matter by proton beams energized at a level of several billion electron-volts. When the antimatter particles are accelerated via electromagnetic coils, they combine with and annihilate particles of matter in their path, producing zero mass and a great deal of radiation. [The process of annihilation releases energy many hundred times greater than that caused by a matter-fusion bomb of similar weight - for instance, your hydrogen bombs.]

Small AMPs were therefore mounted on the noses of our explorer and courier ships to enable them to travel at translite outside of the regular translite channels. In effect the AMP created a continuous matter-antimatter neutralization in front of the ship, obliterating any objects with which it might collide. Due to the potential danger to life-forms which might lie in the path of AMP-equipped ships, however, use of the devices was kept to a necessary minimum.

The large AMP mounted on the Death Stars operated on the same principle. The massive stream of antimatter particles emitted from the projector simply combined with and obliterated the matter composing the target planet or fleet of ships.

Personally I just preferred to use the Stargate at Cheyenne Mountain; it was much simpler if a bit barfy. Taking a Dramamine beforehand became SOP.

#48977 - 02/16/11 07:45 PM Re: Algol -- The Demon Star / FTL Travel [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Dutch Satanist Offline
pledge

Loc: Delft, The Netherlands
Michael, what do you think of Babylon 5's solution to interstellar travel? They use hyperspace portals which are suspended in open space that go into a strange place called "Hyperspace" where most of the laws physics don't seem to apply, and they exit in a completely different place, therefore obviating the need for FTL-propulsion. Oh, and the humans got the technology from the Centauri. Who didn't invent the portals either.

(Sorry if this is slightly off topic, for which I apologize in advance)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.