Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#4921 - 03/07/08 01:26 AM Passive Smoking
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
Alright, well for the past few weeks I've been trying to quit smoking as I can already see that it's taking a toll on my health. While at Kapooka I had no troubles with my fitness, but now I'm finding it a little bit harder to complete my daily 15km run. Normally I can go without smokes, but as any Military Personell herein can tell you: if you don't smoke, you don't get a break in the Army.

Has anyone got any useful and helpful tips? The only other problem is, my girlfriend smokes, my mother and siblings smoke, etc. so I'm constantly surrounded by bloody smoke.

#4922 - 03/07/08 02:34 AM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: DaVinci]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
Tobacco is a plant the same as any other, have you considered cooking with tobacco leaves. It sounds crazy but if it works with marijuana (brownies) why won't it work with tobacco. All you need is to find out where you can get tobacco, not cigerettes, actual tobacco. If you can find anywhere that sells pipe tobacco that would be the best stuff to go for.

Let me know if this works by the way. As a non-smoker I've not actually tried it.

Edited by TornadoCreator (03/07/08 02:35 AM)

#4924 - 03/07/08 02:51 AM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: TornadoCreator]
DaVinci Offline

LOL

Nah, I need to stay away from it for good. Tobacco Food? I'd hardly recommend it; and as I've never touched drugs in my life, I can't comment on what it could/would taste like -- and I'm in no rush to find out either. \:D

I just need something to take the edge off. Something like Tic Tacs, or something that gives the 'impression' of containing some form of hit without actually damaging my health even more so.

#4933 - 03/07/08 03:52 AM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: DaVinci]
TornadoCreator Offline

The problem with attempting a self-inflicted placebo effect such as replacing smoking with another habit such as tic-tacs as you suggested is whether an informed brain will stop the craving.

This is the reason it's extremely difficult to stop me feeling like shit when I have pains or illness. Other people pop a few paracetamol and think, I'll be fine soon. If I did it, as a Chemist, who knows what the drug does and how it works, I know it's have little to know effect on anything but muscle pain, headaches and lower my temperature, and even the headaches thing is dubeous as there is little evidence to support that the drug lowers sporatic hyperactive stress related brain activity as it's not chemically built to effect anything other than muscle tissue. It likely only helps by forcing the body, and by extension the head down.

Anyway, I digress. What I'm trying to say is a true chemical addiction is hard to break, it's sometimes easier if you slow you progress by reducing your intake, unfortunately with nicotine some people experience a brain chemistry benign dysplasia, which is an alteration in the chemistry within the cells and brain tissue itself due to the presence of nicotine. This unfortunately means that 'cold turkey' in these case is the only remedy.

One thing you will be glad to know though is, despite common belief. Passive smoking does not release nicotine into the air. It's not damaging to your health and it is not linked, scientifically to any disorders. In actual fact, the anti-smoking lobbyists are simply using number manipulation and clever statistics to make it appear that the threat is different. For example. If they survey 10,000 people and 100 people say they have cancer, if 60 of those 100 people also say in the same survey that they lived with a smoker at some point the lobbyists will consider that to mean that passive smoking caused there cancer, and as 60 is 150% of 40 they could, technically, from this study say you are 50% more likely to get cancer if you are a passive smoker, when in reality, they've made up all the figures.

Hopefully you've taken something of value from my ramblings...
let me know if you change you mind and try my patented "baccy-cakes".

#4938 - 03/07/08 04:03 AM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: TornadoCreator]
DaVinci Offline

Originally Posted By: TornadoCreator
The problem with attempting a self-inflicted placebo effect such as replacing smoking with another habit such as tic-tacs as you suggested is whether an informed brain will stop the craving.

This is the reason it's extremely difficult to stop me feeling like shit when I have pains or illness. Other people pop a few paracetamol and think, I'll be fine soon. If I did it, as a Chemist, who knows what the drug does and how it works, I know it's have little to know effect on anything but muscle pain, headaches and lower my temperature, and even the headaches thing is dubeous as there is little evidence to support that the drug lowers sporatic hyperactive stress related brain activity as it's not chemically built to effect anything other than muscle tissue. It likely only helps by forcing the body, and by extension the head down.

Anyway, I digress. What I'm trying to say is a true chemical addiction is hard to break, it's sometimes easier if you slow you progress by reducing your intake, unfortunately with nicotine some people experience a brain chemistry benign dysplasia, which is an alteration in the chemistry within the cells and brain tissue itself due to the presence of nicotine. This unfortunately means that 'cold turkey' in these case is the only remedy.

One thing you will be glad to know though is, despite common belief. Passive smoking does not release nicotine into the air. It's not damaging to your health and it is not linked, scientifically to any disorders. In actual fact, the anti-smoking lobbyists are simply using number manipulation and clever statistics to make it appear that the threat is different. For example. If they survey 10,000 people and 100 people say they have cancer, if 60 of those 100 people also say in the same survey that they lived with a smoker at some point the lobbyists will consider that to mean that passive smoking caused there cancer, and as 60 is 150% of 40 they could, technically, from this study say you are 50% more likely to get cancer if you are a passive smoker, when in reality, they've made up all the figures.

Hopefully you've taken something of value from my ramblings...
let me know if you change you mind and try my patented "baccy-cakes".

First of all,; allow me to comment on your general knowledge. Half the stuff you just mentioned is technically over my head, but your ability to word things clearly has made it easier for me to understand.

I don't think it's the risk of me devloping Lung Cancer that is the main forcing drive behind my motivation and determination to cease smoking; it's more the fact that I do plan on having children and don't want them raised in that sort of environment -- one clouded by smoke and potential dangers. However, I'll take your notes and attempt to apply them as what you have said makes alot of sense, and it's worth looking into.

"Baccy-cakes" - it has a ring to it, eh? LOL

#4940 - 03/07/08 04:16 AM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: DaVinci]
TornadoCreator Offline

As an asthmatic I don't like smoking and I can see why it's a good idea to stop because at the very least you do gain fitness as you'll have a stronger heart and greater lung capacity for not smoking.

The best advice I could give you honestly. Is cold showers. If you have a cold shower the temperature of the water causes your entire body to react is very specific ways. The most important in this situation is that your breathing will become choppy and faster. This is because you need a greater intake of oxygen in order to fuel the blood so that your body can shiver. If you have long hair, (which I doubt as you mentioned the military), it's a good idea to keep it wet as this will keep the effect going.

The only problem with this method is that it does have the inherent risk that you could catch pneumonia, (you can't however catch a cold from being cold, the common cold is a virus and has nothing to do with cell breakdown or degeneration due to temperature extremes). Pneumonia is however relatively rare in modern society.

By keeping your airway cold you can ensure that you will not want to smoke. After a few days smoking will actually become unpleasent and even painfull.

Other ways you can get the effect.
1. Eat finely crushed ice. Slush drinks are really good for this.
2. Go for a walk at about 1am (if possible), your body will adapt to the harsh air.
3. Drink vodka, but drink it icy cold. Don't mix it more than 1:2 and either use coke, juice or water. Orange juice is the best, particually if it's cold.
4. As said earlier. Cold orange juice. (try and get it with the pulp), will have similar effects even without the vodka.

These things should all help to make smoking unpleasent as they will all force contractions in the lungs and windpipe that will make smoke feel choaking.

Hope this helps.

And try the "baccy-cake" anyway, it's become intruiging.

#4941 - 03/07/08 04:39 AM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: TornadoCreator]
DaVinci Offline

*Gets out pen and paper. Begins to write it down on notepad.*

Thanks for the advice, bro. Greatly appreciated.

#4949 - 03/07/08 09:21 AM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: DaVinci]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: DaVinci
Alright, well for the past few weeks I've been trying to quit smoking as I can already see that it's taking a toll on my health. While at Kapooka I had no troubles with my fitness, but now I'm finding it a little bit harder to complete my daily 15km run. Normally I can go without smokes, but as any Military Personell herein can tell you: if you don't smoke, you don't get a break in the Army.

Has anyone got any useful and helpful tips? The only other problem is, my girlfriend smokes, my mother and siblings smoke, etc. so I'm constantly surrounded by bloody smoke.

You can just condition your mind to not like smoking anymore.
Here's how I quit:

Every time I took the first drag I hyperventilated until i was lightheaded and dizzy, then stick a finger down my throat to gag myself, and make my self nauseated and wanna puke. After a while your subconscious mind learns to associate that first drag with that sick feeling; and you never feel like smoking again.

But you should use this as a test of WILL power.

~~352~~

#4956 - 03/07/08 06:33 PM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: DaVinci]
Equilibrio Offline
pledge

Loc: Missouri
Ah, cancer sticks...

When I first thought about quitting, here's the advice my father-in-law gave me:

"Son...Just don't light the next one".

Most practical advice. But it took me a bit more than that. The way that I actually quit was to start having my first cigarette of the day later and later as the days went by. Pretty soon, I was having my first smoke on the way home from work at 4:00. Then I was having my first one after dinner. Then I was having my first one at around 8:00 in the evening. Eventually I just stopped. That was 8 years ago.

Treat the habit...Not the product, so to speak.

#4958 - 03/07/08 06:39 PM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Pan420 Offline
pledge

Loc: New Mexico
well as a smoker myself and as a person with the same attitude towards quiting I can offer you some advice that I came across. Instead of trying all that commercial crap, you know that quit smoking gum, patches, ect. they dont work. If you are strong of mind your body will follow. You must make up your own mind and condition your body to work for you. The cravings are horrible and at times unbareable but after about three days the detoxification of the nicatine will be complete and the cravings will slowly die out. If people smoke around you just remember mind over body, be strong and keep at what your goal is, to quit smoking. Good luck on your desicion.

"Use your fist and not your mouth",
Marilyn Manson

#4960 - 03/07/08 06:50 PM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: Pan420]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
There is a method called 'Allen Carrs Easy Way to stop smoking' which you can buy as a book. It is much along the lines of Equalibrio's just don't light the next one.

It works on the principal that after reading the book, you won't want to smoke, will consider yourself a non smoker and won't actually get the cravings that feeling like you're 'missing out' will produce.

Zeph

#5037 - 03/08/08 08:14 PM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: DaVinci]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Maybe I look at smoking differently.
Its a choice.
You pick it, and you can put it down.
Don't make it taboo, don't limit yourself.
Make a decision to do it with a conscience thought.
Not just after meals, or in a club, but seriously choose when you want to smoke.
Make it a deliberate choice.
I smoke when I choose to.
A cigar is nice when camping with a nice scotch.
Or, It can be nice to take a nice long drag after sex on occassion.
Make smoking a conscience thought and not an automatic response and see if things change for you.

Morg

#5039 - 03/08/08 08:36 PM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: Morgan]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
I personally enjoy smoking. But hey, it's all down to personal preference.

I did try to quit once, but that failed miserably. Now I don't want to for the simple fact that I stated.

If you want to quit, that's your own choice. I hope you manage to achieve your goal though. \:\)

#5058 - 03/09/08 01:07 AM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: DistroyA]
DaVinci Offline

Thanks all for your opinions and suggestions! I'll try one, and if it doesn't work, then I will try the other one's. \:D

#5094 - 03/09/08 12:09 PM Re: Passive Smoking [Re: DaVinci]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
In the US Army smokeless chewing tobacco is quite common. It doesn't hurt your CV system as much (it still taxes the heart). As near as I can tell it doesn't hurt VO2 max.

All the same, it is still a nasty habit. You still have various cancer risks and it is hard on your gums.

Personally, I think smoking is something that should be done as a treat and not as a habit. I like a nice cigar or pipe now and again, but smoking cigarettes as a habit is a waste of money, taxes your health, and returns little enjoyment.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.