Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#49308 - 02/21/11 06:11 PM Symbolism vs Practice
Bmudssa Offline
lurker

First post...

Let it be known that I am not trolling, I am genuine in my search for knowledge.

I started this day with a theological discussion with my girlfriend. I had watched a documentary about Chick Tracts, the small, comic book like, religious pamphlets. This led to a conversation about christianity, and of course the opposites of.

I made the comment that Satanists must be christians, because of the use Satan in their religious mythos. She disagreed, but couldn't make an arguement that changed my view.

After reading some on the internet, and finding the Church of Satan, I understand that some feel that "Satanism" has nothing to do with the mythos of christianity at all, but still uses the object/symbol of satan, a distinctly christian article.

Some of my questions have to do with the reasoning behind using this wording to describe your church, which seems to reflect a view more closely realted to narcissm.

Also why use the symbololgy of devils and pentagrams.

Again...Not trolling, I am looking for real comments that will lead to my understanding. I am not here to bash, to promote my beliefs, or to belittle anyone elses.

#49309 - 02/21/11 06:22 PM Re: Symbolism vs Practice [Re: Bmudssa]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

I understand you're not trolling. Any and all answers to your questions can be found by starting to read what has been posted on this forum. If questions like yours were answered every time they were brought up, they would crowd all the other questions. I ask that you search these forums yourself, since this kind of knowledge is worth little if given.

It must be taken.

There is a Media Room available, containing lots of essential information. Peruse it.

#49310 - 02/21/11 06:23 PM Re: Symbolism vs Practice [Re: Bmudssa]
Jake999 Offline

The answers are in the Forums. It's not our responsibility to spoon feed them to you. We've seen this all before... if you're not trolling and are seriously looking for information, it's there. Get to work.

#49321 - 02/21/11 09:32 PM Re: Symbolism vs Practice [Re: Jake999]
Bmudssa Offline
lurker

From reading on here, I find that many if not most feel they are Atheist.

I read the Satanic Bible, I serched some pages, I think I get the concept, but why do you think LaVey called it Satanism?

My thoughts; It was the 60's and a time of selfindulgence. I think the name was merely inflamitory, the anti hippie free love, the antithesis of the repressed 50's.

The media coverage from that name made LaVey famous. If the ideas were conveyed in a different way there wouldn't have been an outrage from the puritain right.

tell me why I'm wrong.

#49326 - 02/21/11 10:24 PM Re: Symbolism vs Practice [Re: Bmudssa]
Jake999 Offline

Again. We've seen this all before... troll. Saying you're NOT a troll and then acting like one does not change a thing. We're simply not playing the game. I can suggest The Modern Church of Satan or Joy of Satan or Letters to the Devil... they apparently have time for it. We don't.

#49328 - 02/21/11 10:29 PM Re: Symbolism vs Practice [Re: Bmudssa]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Clearly you do not get the concept if you are still here trying to get us to dance like little monkeys to your whims. Think what you will but you did not learn much in three hours.

Tell me why anyone should bother telling you why you are wrong, if you are wrong?

~T~

#49335 - 02/21/11 11:41 PM Re: Symbolism vs Practice [Re: ta2zz]
Bmudssa Offline
lurker

Whatever guys...

I'm not talking smack or trying to reinvent the wheel, I just had some ideas and wanted some feedback...if you don't want to that's fine.

I get the whole self reliance thing and the aversion to newbies, so enough from me already...

see ya...or not

#49336 - 02/21/11 11:52 PM Re: Symbolism vs Practice [Re: Bmudssa]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
This is a common issue brought up. The guy's being fairly civil, so I'll assume he's not a troll, and simply address the topic without causing too much fuss.

Satanism is indeed connected to Christian mythos, but that does not make it inherently Christian.

In a similar fashion, we see that Christianity is connected to ancient pagan mythos, but that does not make it nominally "pagan" in any simplistically overgeneralized way. It is a synthesis, using a set of symbols to convey a core message.

And at the very least, I think we can agree that the core message of Satanism is quite different from Christianity.

I have my own crazy-ass views on the subject, but for the CoS, "Satan" is a word that they find useful to describe their ideals and philosophy. To them, these positive connections outweigh the potential confusion others may encounter when using these terms.

It's not that complex of an issue, really. LaVey gave his own definition of the word "Satanism" that some people have since adhered to and find a useful and empowering vehicle for their thoughts/actions. Others don't, and simply go on with their lives. That's pretty much it. Either you buy it or you don't.

#49341 - 02/22/11 12:30 AM Re: Symbolism vs Practice [Re: Bmudssa]
StarlessAeon Offline
stranger

You say you have read The Satanic Bible? Yet, you ask "why call it Satanism?" The answer is right there in the book, in plain English. Read it more carefully next time.
#49612 - 02/25/11 12:04 AM Re: Symbolism vs Practice [Re: StarlessAeon]
TrollovGrimness Offline
stranger

Loc: Montreal
Every religion has a devil. Every religion has a scapegoat that gives them their bad karma or whatever.

Satanists reject this idea.

For us,
We are responsible for our own actions entirely.

We are adherents to a sort of cosmicism. Howard Philips Lovecraft was an author of supernatural horror fiction. Today, he is regarded as the greatest horror author in the world and one of the greatest american authors that have lived. Although he flunked out of school at an early age due to his nervousness, he was extremely intelligent and perceptive beyond his years. He believed that man was as like an insect. And like an amoeba is oblivious to the nature of mankind, so too is mankind oblivious to the nature of the universe.

We are not Atheist.

We choose to believe in a god of our choosing, or don't.

But we differ from atheists in that we acknowledge the power of magic in our lives and perform ritual.. somewhat I guess like other religions have... but we do it with the forthought that the nature of the universe is higher than us. And it is this highest most force, which we deem to be quite possibly indifferent to mankind, that we believe is a dark force which others would call Satan.

If you look in your heart to this dark force, you will see that all other religions call it satan. Even their own god, beyond the scope of their understanding, is Satanic.

My 2cents

Imagine a 4yr old child playing a rubber ball outside. He throws the rubber ball and it hits an ant hill. Oops. Maybe he killed a few ants or then he decides to take out a magnifying glass and be a pyro.

What ant could understand that?

You're just an ant. Deal wit' it.

Thats what I say.

WHY'D THE BIG UGLY THING DO IT?

CUZ... SOMETHING TICKLED

Edited by TrollovGrimness (02/25/11 12:11 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.