Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#49359 - 02/22/11 04:16 AM William S. Burroughs Documentary
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
Premiers tonight on most PBS stations:
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/william-s-burroughs/

It might also be re-airing on many stations in the following week, and perhaps be available for viewing online. I first heard of Burroughs in the mid 1980s, and The Place of Dead Roads was the first book of his I read. Definitely altered my perceptions of what literature could be, and sparked an interest in firearms.

#49469 - 02/23/11 06:10 PM Re: William S. Burroughs Documentary [Re: Tesseract]
EYEHATEGOD Offline
stranger

probably my favorite writer. opened me up to a completely new way of thinking and looking at things after reading Naked Lunch in the seventh grade. i'm very interested to see how the documentary is.
#49475 - 02/23/11 08:09 PM Re: William S. Burroughs Documentary [Re: EYEHATEGOD]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
As it turned out, my local PBS station was showing the documentary, as part of the “Independent Lens” series, only on its “secondary” standard video definition channel -- which also is “zoomed in” to fill the screen, regardless of any program’s original aspect ratio. Not wanting to watch the program with those limitations, I went ahead and added it my Netflix queue.

I’ve always liked the film adaptation of Naked Lunch; David Cronenberg probably did as good an adaptation as anyone could, considering the nature of the book. The soundtrack by Howard Shore and Ornette Coleman is great as well. Cronenberg’s version of J.G. Ballard’s Crash (Ballard is another author I discovered in the 1980s, and whose work I highly value) is quite respectable as well.

Edited by Tesseract (02/23/11 08:10 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.016 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.