Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#495 - 09/20/07 02:30 AM Real Ink... [nerve damage]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
[reposted from old forum] Enjoy…

As a Pro Tattoo Artist getting here has had its moments of make it or break it… I will share one… If this gets a good response I may continue with more real Tattoo stories… No scripts no commercial backers just real true stories in the world of ta2zz…

I have a story that I tell my customers sometimes… It is a true story that happened quite some time ago…

I get this male customer that has a cane and walks with a limp, he wants a classic 70’s Taz arms outstretched with a whirlwind for feet… I sit him down clean him arm and prepare by applying a stencil and setting up my machines… Talk was light so I set up fast and start to tattoo him…

Everybody starts a tattoo in a different spot, I start by what feels right or if it is a seriously detailed tattoo I being right handed will start on the right as to not lose too much of the stencil…

With this tattoo I started on the outstretched fingers… I start at the bottom of a finger and swing my line smoothly up to form the finger… I get to the top WHAM his arm jumps over his head!!! Now I am fast, I am sitting back having had his hand just miss my face tattoo machine is off and as far right as my arm allows…

I look at the tattoo there is half a finger with a small hair coming off the top… I sigh and ask if he is ok and ready he says yes… I start at the top swing a line around and up the side of the next finger… I get to the top guess what WHAM arm over the head again… He says to me will this be a problem?

I look him in the face and say “did my boss put you up to this?” to which he replied no… I am sorry I have spinal cord damage I cannot control that, I’m not doing that on purpose… I look at the one and a half hairy fingers… I say can you hold your arm? He then grabs his forearm with his other hand tightly…

He struggled hard holding that jumping arm through the tattoo… End product helped develop my style looked great hairs were gone and every line was straight…

Clients should understand the involuntary body motions have to be overcome by the artist not the customer, but it is the customers responsibility to try to remain still and do not make any unnecessary actions when the needle is in you…

Aspiring artists take heed, shit like this and worse will happen to you in your career… If you do not think you can handle that do not start… You will be happier in the end…

#496 - 09/20/07 02:36 AM Re: Real Ink... [aids] [Re: ta2zz]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

[reposted from old forum] Enjoy…

First known client with aids…

I had previously in another job worked with these two gay guys… We did not get along as they were over the line… I do not care what you do behind closed doors, I can look away from two men kissing and have it not bother me but I need not have hickeys shoved in my face or know the size of your butt plug…

These guys feared me so bad they waited till I went to Texas to have their mock wedding thinking I would waste my time ruining it… Years later after I met them separately I could deal with them as they were no longer sticking shit in my face…

One guy dies I know of aids… A few years later the other guy comes in for a tattoo… He asks me with knowing what I know and our past am I comfortable tattooing him… I think back on the dislike for them I had and how it meant nothing to me now and replied shit man are you comfortable with me I’m a Pro I will tattoo you… He smiles and says ok and runs to the bank…

I walk in back to get the supplies needles etc as this is how the shop was set up… Bam it hits me “AIDS” this man has “AIDS” I said I would tattoo him shit… To say my knees did not buckle a bit I would be lying…

I then reasoned out I had tattooed over 2000 people by that time if one in 20 had it I was so exposed to it anyways… I then realized I was trained for this gloves, proper sterilization etc… I quickly regained my confidence sat and awaited and executed a beautiful water dragon tattoo…

To the aspiring artist remember paper does not transfer blood borne pathogens… Tattooing is dealing with a bit of people juice… ;\)

#518 - 09/20/07 03:40 PM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: ta2zz]
Meph Offline
stranger

Loc: Huntington, Indiana
Somebody who tattoos is someone with stories. I enjoy reading them, and you should post more. Not so sure I would be able to handle someone about hitting me in the face every time I touched him with a needle though, this is also probably why I'm not a tattoo artist. These stories lightened my day a little bit, thanks.
#519 - 09/20/07 07:46 PM Re: Real Ink... [aids] [Re: ta2zz]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I can relate. I've given my fair share of injections to people with HIV and even full blown AIDS. The first few, were a bit unsettling, but then like anything else, one gets used to it.

I think Hepatits C is a bigger concern. It's still not certain how some people come down with it. Hep B, well I've had my shots against.

#521 - 09/20/07 10:26 PM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: ta2zz]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
When I got the piece done on my calf it felt like he was trying to push the gun through my goddamn leg. I didn't say anything out of respect. I figured the guy knew his stuff and that was my first calf tattoo so maybe it is supposed to feel that way. Also, between us, I didn't want to sound like a bitch.

But now I'll get this itchy burn like in the tattoo. It doesn't last long, in fact it lasts about as long as the pins and needles you get when your foot goes numb.

Not a huge deal but deffinitly something to consider the next time around.

The hard thing for me is how do you research a tattoo artist? Look for people the artist had inked and ask their impressions?

delusion

#522 - 09/20/07 11:23 PM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: delusion]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: delusion
But now I'll get this itchy burn like in the tattoo. It doesn't last long, in fact it lasts about as long as the pins and needles you get when your foot goes numb.

Interesting… What colors are in the tattoo and how old is it… I had a bad tattoo done back in “86”… This is what made me a tattoo artist… It was swollen and burned as you describe if I ran my fingers over it… This lasted about a year or so… Do you have many other tattoos to compare it with?

Quote:
Not a huge deal but deffinitly something to consider the next time around.

You only get one piece of skin decorate it wisely…

Quote:
The hard thing for me is how do you research a tattoo artist? Look for people the artist had inked and ask their impressions?

First start by looking through their portfolio to see what style they are doing and if you can talk to the people who are there do so… If the artist has no pictures of his work run away… Just remember draw your own conclusions…

Lately I watch young girls get tattooed by a kid with just over a years experience because 1. He is cheaper 2. He is cute… So listen to your eyes and use your head when deciding to sit in an artist’s chair… Remember with all art if cost is an issue expect a lesser piece for lesser money…

I would think Hawaii is a bit limited on artists no? Less artists mean a smaller good to bad pool to draw from…

Hope this helps…

~T~

#526 - 09/21/07 04:06 AM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: delusion]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
Some of my tattoos had similar itches but they only lasted for a few months. And they weren't constant, just came by and lasted for a couple of minutes also like you described.
With my tattoos it was associated with healing, as long as they hadn't healed properly they were itching and occasionally drying. The skin takes many months until it has really healed.
And so the worst itch giver is red colour...

#595 - 09/23/07 03:36 PM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: ta2zz]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
So, I'm seventeen and want to get a tattoo pretty close to my eighteenth birthday. I know what I want and where, but my question is, how do I do research on artists and get price quotes and such when I'm under age? All of the artists where I live don't let you in their studio without I.D. I have a friend who is old enough to get in, but what questions should I have him ask? What do you recommend?
#596 - 09/23/07 06:56 PM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: undeadridinghood]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
You could start by researching online. Most tattoo artists have online portfolio's much like our esteemed Ta2zz does.

Then I'm going to jump in here and say that you should probably just wait until you are eightenn and are able to talk to them yourself once you have narrowed down a handfual of artists that you would find acceptable.

Wander around to them with examples of your picture have a quick chat and see who you build up a rapport with. It's important to also like and trust your tattoo artist. You don't want to be too scared to make them change some finer details or placement (although they should have a fair amount of say as the final product does relect back on them also).

I find that if a tattoo artist is too important to be polite, be willing to discuss your ideas and have respect for you and your body, then they are not the artist I want to give money to.

Zephyr

#597 - 09/23/07 06:57 PM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: undeadridinghood]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Do not be part of the Mc'Donalds generation a tattoo should not be rushed into... Expect to have to make an appointment if you are dealing with a more serious tattoo artist...

Wait until you can legally ask the questions themselves... Having a friend ask questions for you usually will not go over well with an artist, we hate to repeat ourselves...

Look at their work if they are a busy shop you should be able to see and talk to people that have their work on them... If the shop is not busy ask yourself why... Just remember everybody thinks their artist is the "SHIT" so let your eyes tell you what is good and what is not when dealing with art...

I need to write a post on just this subject alone...

~T~

#599 - 09/23/07 08:20 PM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: ta2zz]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Looks like we wrote these replies at the same time and they both say pretty much the same thing but coming from the artist and the canvas side. :-)

Zeph

#600 - 09/23/07 10:35 PM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: ta2zz]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
 Originally Posted By: ta2zz
Do not be part of the Mc'Donalds generation a tattoo should not be rushed into... Expect to have to make an appointment if you are dealing with a more serious tattoo artist...

I know. I've been thinking about it for a year or two now. I've only recently decided what I want first, but it's about a month until my birthday so I still have some time to think and plan. I was debating between one of my own drawings (or a variation of it) and a baphomet, and I decided on my own, just because I'd rather have my own designs on me, plus I'd rather not sport a permanent baphomet until I move out of my parent's house.

In your experience working on women, what is the best place for a tattoo to avoid stretching and warping with weight loss and gain? Just curious.

Also, are there any ramifications to amateur tattoos, other than the possibility of blood borne illness and looking really bad? My boyfriend has three. Is there any problem with getting a tattoo like that professionally redone?

Edited by undeadridinghood (09/23/07 10:38 PM)

#606 - 09/24/07 07:02 AM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: undeadridinghood]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Originally Posted By: undeadridinghood

In your experience working on women, what is the best place for a tattoo to avoid stretching and warping with weight loss and gain? Just curious.

I have alot of tattoos on various parts of my body, some of which have been there for over 15 years. I also, was very concerned about the stretching and weight gain and looks of the tattoo's later on in life.

Shoulders, upper back and ankles are all good places that don't really sag or stretch (depends on your ankles for that one) as are upper outer arms and back of neck.

Ta2zz probably has more ideas, but I couldn't help myself and answer this one again.

I personally would never have gotten them on my stomach or lower back because of the potential for weight gain (or having babies) that makes these areas look fabulous at 20 and not so fabulous at 50. Maybe some people are stil trim taut and terrific at 50, but most women have put on a little weight around the middle by then.

It also pays to think about getting it somewhere that you can either display or not with ease at your discretion.

Zeph

#608 - 09/24/07 07:25 AM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: undeadridinghood]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

You have your whole life to get tattooed… Bring your design into the artist you choose, he should be able to take your design and changing a few things should be able to make your design a good tattoo… With a very few exceptions the artwork people bring in is not usually fit for a tattoo… Expect the artist to change it… If he just traces it well unless you are some gift to the art world it may be time to find a different artist…

Skin moves and ages with you… Everyone is different but the shoulder blade, front hip, and just above the ankle area are usually safe… Be sure to work with your artist, remember these questions you ask…

Also, are there any ramifications to amateur tattoos, other than the possibility of blood borne illness and looking really bad?

Two of the worst reasons I could think of you have mentioned, another would be the scratcher doing a form of dermabrasion rather than tattooing leaving behind a hole or scar tissue and any possible skin infections that could arise…

Is hepatitis not bad enough?

My boyfriend has three.

Three scratches? That sucks…

Is there any problem with getting a tattoo like that professionally redone?

No but be prepared to spend money… In the long run paying a reputable shop a bit more up front saves you money when that cheap or discounted tattoo needs a fix up or cover up…

Too those who say oh my friend did it remember if a friend scared you for life perhaps he is not really your friend at all…

~T~

Edited by ta2zz (09/24/07 07:27 AM)
Edit Reason: I need to write faster it seems...

#621 - 09/25/07 04:23 AM Re: Real Ink... [nerve damage] [Re: undeadridinghood]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
 Quote:
Also, are there any ramifications to amateur tattoos, other than the possibility of blood borne illness and looking really bad? My boyfriend has three. Is there any problem with getting a tattoo like that professionally redone?

The most problems arise with their(amateurs) lacking knowledge of proper hygiene and aseptics, also the outcome of an attempted tattoo might not be what you were looking for, crappy lines and blow outs and uneven coloring and needle marks here and there. And you might also get a nice 3D effect as a bonus when it's so badly scratched that it leaves the tattooed area scarred.

I also have many tattoos made by an amateur nut then again he's a bit different as he is a professional body piercer and also my employer. He has very vast understanding on the subject but just took on tattooing about a year ago... He didn't want to go tattooing real customers and so as his employee and a friend I will naturally sacrifice myself \:\)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.