Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#49538 - 02/24/11 01:30 PM Stockholm Satanism Conference; New Questionnaire
Jim Lewis Offline
stranger

Loc: Tromsø, Norway
There will be an academic conference on Satanism that will be held at the University of Stockholm 25-27 Septmeber 2011 ( http://www.erg.su.se/pub/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=16068 ). This is a follow-up gathering to the conference that was held in Trondheim, Norway, in 2009.

As an extension of my prior research (e.g., http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb03/ivk/mjr/pdfs/2001/articles/lewis2001.pdf ), I am presently gathering data on Satanists with via a new, more extensive, online questionnaire. If anyone would like to consider participating, the link to the questionnaire is: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GC2RHKF .

Thanks!
Jim

[I can be contacted directly at james.lewis@tsd.ac.uk]

Edited by Nemesis (02/24/11 04:00 PM)

#49539 - 02/24/11 01:35 PM Re: Stockholm Satanism Conference; New Questionnaire [Re: Jim Lewis]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

You might want to remove the "period" at the end of the link, else it leads to the homepage of surveymonkey instead of the survey itself.

D.

#49572 - 02/24/11 03:59 PM Re: Stockholm Satanism Conference; New Questionnaire [Re: Diavolo]
Jim Lewis Offline
stranger

Thanks!

I can't seem to get back into my original post to make that modification, so here is the corrected link.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GC2RHKF

Edited by Jim Lewis (02/24/11 04:02 PM)
Edit Reason: mistake in original

#49573 - 02/24/11 04:07 PM Re: Stockholm Satanism Conference; New Questionnaire [Re: Jim Lewis]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

The ability to edit a post lasts only one hour. After that it is closed.

Nemesis already corrected the link in your previous post but mentioning it twice won't hurt.

Three times however opens Pandora's box. ;\)

D.

#52852 - 04/13/11 03:40 PM New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Jim Lewis]
Jim Lewis Offline
stranger

Venus Satanas recently posted a youtube video promoting the new Satanist questionnaire. (She did this independently of me; I did not ask for a youtube endorsement.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w98FdLkQcpw

Venus must have clout/credibility among Satanists: responses to the questionnaire jumped from 116 to 182 in just four days.

So say what you want. I am frankly impressed.

#52854 - 04/13/11 03:54 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Jim Lewis]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
It's pointless to comment but I feel compelled to do it anyway.

Venus has clout/credibility among Satanists like Jesse Jackson has clout amongst black folk. Some like them and agree with them, others don't.

Her views are generally not supported within this site. She does have a rather large following but what some of those folks call Satanism is not in the same ballpark as what I would call Satanism.

No disrespect meant toward anyone.

#52855 - 04/13/11 03:59 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Fnord]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Fnord

Venus has clout/credibility among Satanists like Jesse Jackson has clout amongst black folk. Some like them and agree with them, others don't.

THANKS for the laugh, Fnord. I needed it today, although cleaning the Diet Coke off of my monitor is gonna be a bitch!!!

#52856 - 04/13/11 04:05 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Jim Lewis]
Mister Cage Offline
stranger

JIM LEWIS... please excuse my ignorance concerning the question, but am i replying to the famous "James Lewis" once head,VI°, of the Temple of Set?

Thank you in advance for your time and considerion toward my inquary.

Concerning the survey: I find it rather suspicious. It seems to be more of a tool to measure, scale or weigh us in some fashion. Perhaps as either a threat or too little of one. Who knows, i dont.

I've found that working behind the scenes is one of our greatest assets. Venus knows this, i think her recent motivations have been adulterated. I appreciate the offer, but i will not be participating in the survey.

Edited by Mister Cage (04/13/11 04:31 PM)

#52865 - 04/13/11 04:57 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Jim Lewis]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Jim Lewis

Venus must have clout/credibility among Satanists: responses to the questionnaire jumped from 116 to 182 in just four days.

Mr. Lewis. Nothing could be further from the truth.

She has youtube subs, but only because of the pole dancing videos(she has since removed).

Among those with a casual interest in Satanism she might be interesting, but she is not a Satanist in any meaningful sense of the word, nor is she anything but a joke in any and all Satanic circles.

#52868 - 04/13/11 05:16 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Jim Lewis]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
I have no objections to Lewis’ study of Satanism, nor the survey. But some of Venus Satanas’ reasons given in that video for participating indeed seem somewhat dubious. Is there genuinely a need for “people” or “the public” to better understand Satanism in general? How many self-described Satanists truly want more positive recognition, and deeper understanding from those outside Satanism? How do open or “out” Satanists currently suffer from a prejudicial public opinion? For Satanists who presently live in countries where freedoms of speech, religion, and association are still protected by constitutional law (if shaky), why would an open Satanist pursue deeper assimilation into mainstream culture? If secular atheists are often still met with scorn and condemnation by the largely religious societies they’re part of, do Satanists have leeway to realistically expect more benevolent attitudes from those societies, after having adopted as their symbolism & ideology the symbols that most often represent the ultimate incarnations of “Evil” to those practitioners of RHP religion?

These are all obviously rhetorical questions to a great extent, but I guess I’m still compelled from time to time to present them when I encounter “Satanists” ostensibly advocating better acceptance and understanding from society at large. Can’t they just become “goths” for that…?

#52869 - 04/13/11 05:23 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Tesseract]
MindFux Offline

V/S is a fucking retard. I apologize that this is a short post, but that's the NET of it. She may have driven up participation, because she has a loyal following of retards that like her tits and have similar 'New Age' leanings, but they're far from representative of Satanism. In fact the very video you post here indicates a complete misunderstanding of what your average Satanist that isn't just adopting a label as an excuse to wear black make-up and bang Gothic chicks thinks and feels. (Not that banging Gothic chicks isn't a worthwhile hobby but I digress).

She's some weird mixture of Dark Paganism and fairy worship, and she seems to have actually married Santa. (I shit you not, clock the guy in the background of her famed pole dancing video).

Her views are a weird and eclectic post-modern mixture of utter shit, and listening to her opinion on Satanism is like listening to an oil companies views on environmental conservation. In both cases the ulterior motives (in her case selling enough of her private pole dancing web sessions to avoid living in a box) shine through.

The very fact that her crowd are participating in this thing means it will likely end up being frighteningly skewed to the side of fairy worship, rather than Satanism.

Edited by MindFux (04/13/11 05:24 PM)

#52870 - 04/13/11 05:25 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Tesseract]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I had that same reaction to it, Tesseract.

How can one be adversarial while always trying to extend the hand of friendship?

It's better they continue to fear us and it's better our practices/motivations remain mysterious to them.

Mainstream Satanism? The two words should be anathema to one another.

#52871 - 04/13/11 05:31 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Dan_Dread]
Mister Cage Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread

She has youtube subs, but only because of the pole dancing videos(she has since removed).

And an extremely effective form of LBM, might i add. But stiull only a lure at best.

She appeals to the younger croud of the Satanic population and this being said im sure the survey will be full of inaccuracies.

I obviously should'nt complain because ive decided not to participate, however i state this only to be noted in the future when the math is added up to reveal what it ultimately will, a bunch of 16 year olds who cant decipher the difference between the Star of David from an inverted pentigram.

Edited by Mister Cage (04/13/11 05:32 PM)

#52872 - 04/13/11 05:59 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Mister Cage]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I suppose that depends what you define as 'the satanic population'. As the overwhelming majority of anyone that takes her even remotely serious could not be described as Satanic, any survey data gained from these people would be pretty worthless.

But then again, that is the problem in general with trying to gain survey data from a population like this. There are way more people that think Satan is cool than there are Satanists.

#52873 - 04/13/11 06:03 PM Re: New Questionnaire Promo Video! [Re: Fnord]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
 Quote:
How can one be adversarial while always trying to extend the hand of friendship?

Well, and succinctly put. I suppose there might be some small contingent of serious, theistic Satanists who tell themselves, and all who will listen, that “Satan” is actually a benign, misunderstood entity, and much like wiccans trying to reform the public perception of “witchcraft”, are attempting to rehabilitate Satan in the eyes of the subscribers to the Abrahamic religions.

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.