Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#4974 - 03/07/08 11:54 PM Trees on Mars?
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
This is where good healthy Satanic skepticism comes in handy.

The satellites orbiting Mars have been taking pictures and have captured things that look amazingly like trees.

They look like trees and forests, but I always thought it was too cold for trees on Mars? And where's does the water come from?

I'm not sure what they are, but I wish they were trees! I'm a sucker for science fiction, and all i see are trees, but its too cold; these things are located near the Martian south pole?

I need your objective, unbiased eyes. What do you guys think they are?:

http://members.shaw.ca/science1/mars-trees/South1-trees.htm

http://www.marsanomalyresearch.com/evidence-reports/2006/101/spouts-plants-forests-1.htm

Edited by LUCIFERIFIC (03/07/08 11:54 PM)

~~352~~

#4983 - 03/08/08 02:17 AM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
I would be inclined to say trees as well, but then again I'm not a Scientist so I could be completely wrong. I really can't think of any item on Earth that resembles what is being seen within those photos.

#4988 - 03/08/08 07:24 AM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Sordid Archetype Offline
stranger

Loc: Long Island, NY
You may want to take a look at this:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/clarke_mars_banyon_010709-1.html

They offer a rather interesting theory on the lifecycle of these trees (including their source of water).

\:\)

#4991 - 03/08/08 09:29 AM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
While I don't believe huge forests are possible just yet on Mars, small biota and scrub are definitely in the realm of "maybe". Mars' atmosphere is predominantly carbon dioxide, which we all know is what plant matter absorbs (along with nutrients and water) to survive and produce oxygen.

However, considering the fierce winds and low temperatures (at the equator, the coldest getting -178F/-107C, and the poles getting down to -225F/-143C), the plants would have adapted to resemble something like these arctic tundra plants. The equatorial regions of Mars are very dry, with frequent dust storms and shifting landscapes, so there is little chance that plant life would flourish in these regions. Their best chance of survival would be around the freezing polar caps. It may be cold there, but at least the water underground is closer to the surface.

One my most enduring favorites in sci-fi about Mars (and its subequent terraforming later on in the plot) is the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Thick books, lots of scientific jargon, stunning imagery, and multiple character plot points. Check out the wiki entry.

#4992 - 03/08/08 11:16 AM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: Nemesis]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemesis

However, considering the fierce winds and low temperatures (at the equator, the coldest getting -178F/-107C, and the poles getting down to -225F/-143C),
See this is the thing. These temps are so cold, water or carbon dioxide doesn't even work. Its too cold for plants. But it looks like a forest of something... rocks?

~~352~~

#4993 - 03/08/08 11:22 AM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Sordid Archetype Offline
stranger

Loc: Long Island, NY
On the flip side though, just because that environment isn't suitable for any organism on earth doesn't exactly mean that a completely different type of organism couldn't evolve there. Maybe they're not even plants. Maybe they're giant protists.

#4994 - 03/08/08 11:23 AM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: Sordid Archetype]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Originally Posted By: Sordid Archetype
You may want to take a look at this:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/clarke_mars_banyon_010709-1.html

They offer a rather interesting theory on the lifecycle of these trees (including their source of water).

\:\)
Thanks for the link. Some of those 'trees' are half a kilometer big. The sites theories makes some sort of sense, but the temperature thing is still an issue for me, if A.C. Clark thinks they're trees and alive; then i'll go halfway and say they're alive.

~~352~~

#5002 - 03/08/08 01:26 PM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Pan420 Offline
pledge

Loc: New Mexico
wow trees, yup I see trees. that is amazing, I never knew about that, maybe there is life on mars, or maybe we just want to see what we think is the most logical answer. We may know what it is if that rover thing they sent to mars ever gets to that point on mars, till then I still gotta say trees. Thank you for bringing that up.

"Use your fist and not your mouth",
Marilyn Manson

#5003 - 03/08/08 01:39 PM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Meq Offline
Banned

Could these 'trees' just be enormous crystals of dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide)?
Dry ice sublimes (goes directly from solid to gas) at -78C (-108.4F). At the temperature of the Martian poles, CO2 in the atmosphere freezes into solid crystals, much like a 'hoar frost' does with water vapor.

That would be a letdown to the sci-fi buffs ;\)

#5004 - 03/08/08 01:46 PM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: Pan420]
Happy Birthday Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
I must have been hybrenating for winter, because I missed the Mars, tree headlines in the newspapers.

Call me crazy, but if trees were found on Mars, it would be kind of a big story. You know, "Life exists on Mars," kind of thing.

Unless of course the Evil One World Jewish Empire, would squash the story. ;\)

#5007 - 03/08/08 02:01 PM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: Meq]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Originally Posted By: Mequa
Could these 'trees' just be enormous crystals of dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide)?
Dry ice sublimes (goes directly from solid to gas) at -78C (-108.4F). At the temperature of the Martian poles, CO2 in the atmosphere freezes into solid crystals, much like a 'hoar frost' does with water vapor.

That would be a letdown to the sci-fi buffs ;\)

Mequa, i actually think they are objectively just dry ice formations; thats the only reasonable explanation. But there's entire forests of them. And they take on different appearances? Like one cluster looks tall and pillar like, while others look branchy? I don't know. But their beautiful from here. I wander what walking thru a forest of dry ice sculptures would be like?

~~352~~

#5023 - 03/08/08 06:21 PM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: Nemesis]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
 Originally Posted By: Nemesis
While I don't believe huge forests are possible just yet on Mars, small biota and scrub are definitely in the realm of "maybe". Mars' atmosphere is predominantly carbon dioxide, which we all know is what plant matter absorbs (along with nutrients and water) to survive and produce oxygen.

However, considering the fierce winds and low temperatures (at the equator, the coldest getting -178F/-107C, and the poles getting down to -225F/-143C), the plants would have adapted to resemble something like these arctic tundra plants. The equatorial regions of Mars are very dry, with frequent dust storms and shifting landscapes, so there is little chance that plant life would flourish in these regions. Their best chance of survival would be around the freezing polar caps. It may be cold there, but at least the water underground is closer to the surface.

One my most enduring favorites in sci-fi about Mars (and its subequent terraforming later on in the plot) is the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Thick books, lots of scientific jargon, stunning imagery, and multiple character plot points. Check out the wiki entry.

If a cactus can survive the extremer heats of the Colorado Desert, than there is no reason why plants cannot adapt to the temperates and extremes of other planets.

#5038 - 03/08/08 08:24 PM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: DaVinci]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
It's highly doubtful that the things we see in those images are trees or any kind of plant life. As has been stated, it's way too cold on Mars. Plus, do we actually know if any water source exists on or inside the planet (if I've been living under a rock when they confirmed that there are sources of hydration, then please, ignore this question...)?

I would have to make a stab at guessing that they are unusual craters, rock formations or unusual lacerations of the surface. And, assuming there really is water on the planet, they could be ice crystals.

Until man first walks on that planet, we cannot know for certain what lies on or in it. This is all guess work and just spawns theories that cannot be proven right or wrong until we get on the planet ourselves.

#5042 - 03/08/08 08:53 PM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: DistroyA]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Yes, the presence of water has been confirmed in Mars' polar regions, at the north cap. The South cap is comprised mainly of frozen carbon dioxide.

BBC article

Due to Mars' particular geography and the degree of tilt on its axis, the Northern hemisphere of Mars is many degrees warmer than the South. What surprises me is that these "plants" have elected to grow in the harsher, colder, darker region of the planet, basically the exact opposite of what plants on Earth would do. Not to mention the lack of water there. They must have somehow adapted to extract their energy sources directly from the frozen carbon dioxide.

Here is a fantastic 2000x2000 jpg image of the planet from space, in its entirety, with Valles Marineris a huge gash on the lower right of the planet. The clouds you see are surrounding the peaks of the 3 volcanos.

#5093 - 03/09/08 11:59 AM Re: Trees on Mars? [Re: Nemesis]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Ok, two cents on this...

I have seen quite a bit of terrestrial satellite imagery and have been given the benefit of professional image analysis.

These raw images are missing all of the analysis needed to properly interpret them. I would like to also see IR images.

These could be 'trees.' They could also be rock formations that have surfaced from the melting of ice. Mars, like Earth, is experiencing global warming.

However, if it is plant life, the sky is the limit. On Earth we know of all sorts of life that lives in extreme conditions. However, like life here, alien life would still have to follow the rules of chemistry and physics, and form would follow function.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.