Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4998 - 03/08/08 12:27 PM New book on satanism and the satanic panic
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
The Encyclopedic Sourcebook of Satanism.

This is the book to buy, if you want the latest and most comprehensive academic book on Satanism and The Satanic Panic.

"In the public imagination Satanism is associated with bizarre rituals, perverse hedonistic lifestyles, heavy metal music, immature adolescents acting out, horror movies, and rumors of ritual abuse. But what are the facts behind the urban legends and the “moral panics” that periodically sweep the country regarding this countercultural phenomenon? This authoritative reference work gathers together scholarly studies of Satanism and original source material, focusing on two major aspects—organized religious Satanism and the Satanic Ritual Abuse hoax that was prevalent in the 1980s and early 1990s."

For further information, please follow the link: http://www.prometheusbooks.com/catalog/book_1982.html

Edited by Amina (03/08/08 12:28 PM)

#5062 - 03/09/08 01:17 AM Re: New book on satanism and the satanic panic [Re: Amina]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful in any manner; but I wouldn't mind knowing YOUR opinion on The Satanic Panic and the SRA.

#5064 - 03/09/08 04:26 AM Re: New book on satanism and the satanic panic [Re: DaVinci]
Amina Offline

My webpage has the sub title "Fighting the myth of subversive Satanism". The Satanic Panic have been studied as a moral panic, and specific cases as urban legends and rumor panics. There were no satanic conspiracies in the 80'ties and 90'ties and a lot of people got hurt by belief in myths and rumors. Most of the people how got hurt where adults who got wrongfully prosecuted as abusers, children who got convinced they had been abused and families broken by accusations between family members caused by "false memories". Abuse of children is a fact and the imagined cases only made it more difficult to help the ones in need of help, so the panic also hurt the real victims of abuse. Satanic Ritual abuse? I have read a lot of literature and never seen a case, but chases are that you could find one not yet investigated. But even if you found one, this would not be Satanic Ritual abuse as imagined by the believers in SRA. Abuse of children is real, but it is not a part of any kind of organized satanic religious group.

This is the short explanation. My webpage and the book has a longer explanation but the explanation is the same: Subversive Satanism and Satanic Ritula Abuse is a myth.

- Amina

#5073 - 03/09/08 05:48 AM Re: New book on satanism and the satanic panic [Re: Amina]
DaVinci Offline

Loc: Australia
Actually, The Satanic Panic flurished throughout the 80's and still continues today. Many FBI Special Investigators including Keith Abarman have composed several articles explaining how the SRA and Satanic Panic still continues on to this present day. There is no evidence to support either claim to be 100% correct: Myth or Fact.

#5202 - 03/10/08 01:36 PM Re: New book on satanism and the satanic panic [Re: Amina]
Jeseth Offline
pledge

Loc: California
 Originally Posted By: Amina
The Encyclopedic Sourcebook of Satanism.

This is the book to buy, if you want the latest and most comprehensive academic book on Satanism and The Satanic Panic.

"In the public imagination Satanism is associated with bizarre rituals, perverse hedonistic lifestyles, heavy metal music, immature adolescents acting out, horror movies, and rumors of ritual abuse. But what are the facts behind the urban legends and the “moral panics” that periodically sweep the country regarding this countercultural phenomenon? This authoritative reference work gathers together scholarly studies of Satanism and original source material, focusing on two major aspects—organized religious Satanism and the Satanic Ritual Abuse hoax that was prevalent in the 1980s and early 1990s."

For further information, please follow the link: http://www.prometheusbooks.com/catalog/book_1982.html

Just out of curiosity, have you read it? The one review for it on Amazon is not very flattering. I'd like to hear what you personally thought of the book.

#5205 - 03/10/08 02:10 PM Re: New book on satanism and the satanic panic [Re: DaVinci]
Amina Offline

Originally Posted By: DaVinci
There is no evidence to support either claim to be 100% correct: Myth or Fact.

Yes and no. We would not be able to prove a conspiracy if the Dark Lord Satan helped evil satanists to hid it by the use of magic as some Christians believe. It would also be impossible to prove anything if the police, the politicians and everyone else in power was in on it as some conspiracyfreaks think. Also, you would not be able to detect very small scale crime like say a lone satanist killing a person and hiding it without being detected. We do see lone "satanic" killers once in a while. Sometimes people disappear and sometimes murder goes undetected.

That aside, the debate about the Satanic Panic got closed more then ten years ago. No, there is not a big satanic conspiracy killing tens of thousands people every year, breeding babies and ritually abusing children. Satanists are not the hidden force behind government and the UN. We still have (Christian) loons who believe so and publish books, webpages and tv documentaries. But those people are as loony as those who wear tinfoil helmets because they think aliens try to read there minds. I don't know who Keith Abrman is or if he IS from the FBI but I know what sociologists, folklorists, other FBI agents and so on say about the panic.

- Amina

#5206 - 03/10/08 02:28 PM Re: New book on satanism and the satanic panic [Re: Jeseth]
Amina Offline

The book was published not long ago so I am not done reading yet, but I like what I have read so far. All articles are serious and trustworthy and written by people who know what they are talking about like sociologists, anthropologists and so on. The book is edited into five parts:

* Satanic Ritual Abuse as a Moral Panic (SRA as a moral panic#)
* Satanic Ritual Abuse as Demonology (Christian myths seen today)
* Satanism and the Media (Sow the media construct Satanism)
* Modern Satanism
* Primary Material (Rapports connected to the Panic)

The part about modern Satanism include two anthropological articles about the early days of the CoS by anthropologists who joined the group i the late 60'ties and early 70'ties. Other articles deal with Satanism on the internet, teen Satanism, sociological investigations of Satanism and so on.

It is a great book, but you probably have to appreciate reading academic books to really enjoin it. It is not an "easy reader", but a book all of us can point to, if someone wants a serious and objective source on Satanism and misconceptions abut it done by academics. Not much has been written about modern Satanism by academics so this book more or less present what there is so far.

- Amina

(#) Definition of a moral panic, See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.