Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#50009 - 02/27/11 01:00 PM Advertisement Killer
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
Looks like it’s been over six months since this software was referred to, so for those who’d like a less irritating and obnoxious internet experience, try Adblock Plus:

http://adblockplus.org/en/

It’s “free”, and cleans up nearly all webpages I view (including the 600 Club).

#50107 - 02/28/11 11:25 AM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: Tesseract]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
The reverse side of the coin, of course, is that some who build websites use ads to create an income to help offset the cost of running the site.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use ad block software, I'm suggesting that perhaps examining the motivation for a website to employ ads might have something to do with you being able to continue enjoying that site.

#50108 - 02/28/11 11:27 AM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: Tesseract]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I use FireFox with the "no-script" and "cookie monster" plugs and I hardly ever see adds anywhere.

The downside is that, from time to time, you have to start activating scripts to see a video or listen to something but it's a price worth to pay.

D.

#50110 - 02/28/11 11:30 AM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: Fnord]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Originally Posted By: Fnord
The reverse side of the coin, of course, is that some who build websites use ads to create an income to help offset the cost of running the site.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use ad block software, I'm suggesting that perhaps examining the motivation for a website to employ ads might have something to do with you being able to continue enjoying that site.

Agreed but I'd prefer sending cash, for something I enjoy, above having to look at advertisement.

D.

#50112 - 02/28/11 11:35 AM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: Diavolo]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, sure, but I'd never accuse you of representing the majority, Sir!

#50113 - 02/28/11 11:38 AM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: Fnord]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I find some of the ads to be downright entertaining. Especially the ones for Christian dating sites that pop up in a thread talking about anal sex. On a site devoted to Satanism no less. Most of the time, however, I don't even notice them. I guess I got used to them being there.

#50114 - 02/28/11 11:53 AM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
As long as they're not flashing or are otherwise visually or audibly disruptive, I have no problems with adverts on sites. I use Flashblock for Chrome, and it gives me the option to load individual flash scripts like videos by clicking on them once, so that I don't have to allow a dozen other flash scripts to load.

#50129 - 02/28/11 12:52 PM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: Fnord]
Tesseract Offline

Yes, it’s understandable why websites use paid advertising, and I’m not one to complain if a free site I frequent goes under; there’s no “free lunch”, and someone, somewhere has to pay for everything. But I have a very low tolerance for the ugliness and stupidity of nearly all marketing and advertising, so I do what I can to minimize such annoyances in my life. I certainly wouldn’t object to the owner of The 600 Club switching to the requirement of paid membership if ad revenue becomes insufficient (but I’m not necessarily saying I’d get a paid membership -- just that it would be a valid choice to fund the site).
#50196 - 02/28/11 05:47 PM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: Tesseract]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I can't say for sure because I'm no expert on how the technology of these ads work but I don't believe using adblock software would change the site's gain from the ads. I believe all it does is tell your browser not to render the images.
#50225 - 03/01/11 01:42 AM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: TV is God]
Tesseract Offline

I don’t know the technical or business details behind web ads either, but I’d tend to think that in some advertisers’ minds what’s lost by ad blocking software are “eyeballs”: if a website’s users don’t even see the ads for christian dating services or diet programs the opportunities for spontaneous clicking of ad links is lost. Perhaps if even only 1% of all those website visitors bother to follow the advertiser’s ad link, and even fewer actually order any of the consumer crap being hawked, it’s still enough to keep some online businesses alive at least long enough to pay for some more ads and web hosting for another month...
#50227 - 03/01/11 02:20 AM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: Tesseract]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
Most Google ads are pay-per-click, meaning websites only get revenue if people click on them. I don't imagine a lot of people on the 600 Club would bother clicking on the ads for Christian dating sites, free Bibles, or videos in which Mormons desperately try to demonstrate how normal they are. I don't think blocking the ads would decrease revenue. I find it weird, though, that the people paying for these ads think this is a good place to advertise.

#50229 - 03/01/11 02:39 AM Re: Advertisement Killer [Re: XiaoGui17]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I don't think the advertisers care what sites the advertise on as long as the site will put up the ads. The ads that show up, if I understand the process correctly, are automatically chosen based on their relevance (no matter how casual) to the sites they are displayed on. That's why so many religious ads show up as well as ads for "goth" clothes and the like.

Or maybe those ads are chosen specifically for this site simply to patronize the users. ;\)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.