Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#5076 - 03/09/08 05:58 AM Re: Who is a satanist and who is not - and why? [Re: Stag]
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Stag
The problem with the question "Is the guy a satanist or not" is the implied sense of identity between this man and and this abstract concept of "a satanist". This is little more than a word game.

Yes, but not more of a word game then when other satanists claim to be satanists. Word games have rules, and if you want to know if you are playing by the rules you have to define the block you are playing with. In this case you are playing with the blocks "Is", "He" and "a satanist". Another word game would be "is he a fish". Now we are back to definitions, and in both cases you would be able to come up with lots of definitions. You could redefine the normal use of the word "fish" to point to the animal usually known as a "bird" and so on. All in a good days work for a German philosopher.

The point is: you are not able to answer any questions about anything unless you define the rules of the game and the words you are using. If not, then it would be as sensible to define all satanist as fish. A fun game, yes, but rather useless.

- Amina

Edited by Amina (03/09/08 06:00 AM)

#7171 - 04/04/08 09:01 AM Re: Who is a satanist and who is not - and why? [Re: Amina]
truthseeker2000 Offline
stranger

Loc: Upstate SC
I'm a former Christian who, up until now, would consider myself a "hopeful agnostic" in that I don't like the thought that this is all there is in life. However, since coming to this site I've read The Satanic Bible and said to myself, "wow, I agree with almost everything in this book!" Because of my religious upbringing I can't yet accept calling myself a Satanist even though I find myself agreeing with self described Satanists on a more and more frequent basis. Does this make me a Satanist who is just lying to himself? I don't like the idea of lying to myself. That's why I left Christianity in the first place!

Caligula WSA
~~352~~

#7176 - 04/04/08 11:41 AM Re: Who is a satanist and who is not - and why? [Re: truthseeker2000]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Greetings truthseeker2000,

Christian brainwashing or programming takes a long time for some to do away with… The fear of spending eternity in hell has been forced on you since you were but knee high in most cases… Live your life, do not fear things you have no control over such as death… Control the things you can in the here and now to make your life happier…

Remember Satanist is simply another title… If and when you are ready to use such a title you will know…

Be well in your journey…

~T~

#7182 - 04/04/08 02:27 PM Re: Who is a satanist and who is not - and why? [Re: ta2zz]
truthseeker2000 Offline
stranger

Words of wisdom and truth indeed! Thanks Ta2zz

Caligula WSA
~~352~~

#7844 - 04/16/08 10:20 PM Re: Who is a satanist and who is not - and why? [Re: truthseeker2000]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
 Originally Posted By: truthseeker2000
I'm a former Christian who, up until now, would consider myself a "hopeful agnostic" in that I don't like the thought that this is all there is in life. However, since coming to this site I've read The Satanic Bible and said to myself, "wow, I agree with almost everything in this book!" Because of my religious upbringing I can't yet accept calling myself a Satanist even though I find myself agreeing with self described Satanists on a more and more frequent basis. Does this make me a Satanist who is just lying to himself? I don't like the idea of lying to myself. That's why I left Christianity in the first place!

You know, it's funny...I feel more like a Satanist than ever before - but I find it more difficult to call myself a Satanist, when before it was more like an affirmation "I am a Satanist" became a mantra of responsibility not to take part in the flaws affecting other sectors of the populace still steeped in superstition and confusion.

When you take on a title sometimes it is a good way to cultivate those aspects you havn't achieved yet - there's no rule in place saying when you can call yourself a Satanist. The beauty of Satanism is there really are no hard rules to follow.

So yeah, just something to think about...sometimes you gotta start small...

#7872 - 04/17/08 02:06 PM Re: Who is a satanist and who is not - and why? [Re: 97and107]
truthseeker2000 Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: 97and107
 Originally Posted By: truthseeker2000

You know, it's funny...I feel more like a Satanist than ever before - but I find it more difficult to call myself a Satanist, when before it was more like an affirmation "I am a Satanist" became a mantra of responsibility not to take part in the flaws affecting other sectors of the populace still steeped in superstition and confusion.

When you take on a title sometimes it is a good way to cultivate those aspects you havn't achieved yet - there's no rule in place saying when you can call yourself a Satanist. The beauty of Satanism is there really are no hard rules to follow.

So yeah, just something to think about...sometimes you gotta start small...

I've just started to accept that I am a Satanist and have been all along. I question everything, make my own path and fiercely rebel against others that tell me who and what I should be. I look out, first and foremost, for those I care for and don't give a shit about anyone else unless it benefits me somehow. I've never conformed to a label, I've only accepted them if they conformed to me. So, if the label Satanist fits, I should be proud to wear it. Sometimes small steps seem like huge leaps until you actually take them.

Michael

Caligula WSA
~~352~~

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.