Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#50549 - 03/07/11 08:10 AM The African Warrior...
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Hi all.

I am currently looking around for information and pictures about the resistance old whitey met when he took Africa by gunpowder, in other words; traditional African Warriors and war-culture.

I know that many (if not most) of you have a keen interest in all things lethal, and was wondering if you could point the way towards good resources on the subject.

I am looking for historically correct paintings, drawings and literature.
Fx; something like this Somali Warrior:

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#50558 - 03/07/11 01:55 PM Re: The African Warrior... [Re: Woland]
Hegesias Offline

There is only one pure blooded Zulu shaman left and he was tortured by thugs. The tradition is handed down orally but I'm sure there is African warrior philosophy to be found, weapon craft and combat tactics to be found?

I scholar warrior philosophy. Mainly Japanese. I'll get back to this forum with my findings on the African traditions, shame I don't know any African people except a Christian minister. He's ok I guess but he was being a grouch toward the shamanism I was explaining to him probably because I mentioned it was for Chaos magick praxis. What I do know is that shamanism is a very naturalistic tradition which can produce altered states and empathic clear-sightedness, I am willing to bet that ancient warriors had the traditions in conjunction with their frenzied tribal dances to attain altered states for concentration before battles, tests and ordeals. I'm looking into this more right now.

Very interesting post most worthy of involvement.

#50571 - 03/07/11 07:33 PM Re: The African Warrior... [Re: Hegesias]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
The Anglo Zulu War Historical Society is rich with resources, though one must pay for access. The Battle of Isandlwana was arguably one of the most crushing defeats of the British by African warriors. A combination of an encircling tactic, the element of surprise, sheer numbers, close-range weapons, and a cocktail of combat drugs enabled the Zulu to demolish the British.

Shaka Zulu (that guy^^) was brutal not only to his enemies, but also to those under his command--so brutal that he was assassinated by several of his own lieutenants.

#50629 - 03/08/11 12:08 PM Re: The African Warrior... [Re: XiaoGui17]
Hegesias Offline

I came across very little in terms of other tactics except for the pincer move they'd use.

The flanking troops would encircle the enemy in moments grounding the battle position. The flanking troops were mainly the youngest warriors. The central militia was composed of the strongest mature warriors that would be the main force. The veteran warriors remained on the outskirts of the battle and retained a degree of dispassion and calm, moving in to reinforce at the right places and times with precision. The fearless warriors with overwhelming speed may have appeared primitive to the English, this was entirely correct, more so than the conceited nobles could understand. A warrior ethos that was to die readily and trade whatever injuries they sustained right back. The English were too concerned with drinking tea and looking smart whilst firing their shiny guns to have a chance in close quarters combat.

The speed of the Zulus was just as much mental as physical it seems. The most powerful weapon remains to be the mind but the mind can also be the biggest weakness, this time it may have been the English who underestimated the fearless nature and precision of the Zulu warriors.

They make the English look like girly men. The Zulu fellows were raised by a warrior code and the English fellows were raised in a pompous environment which basically made them conceited and vulnerable to hardcore stone faced warriors.

#51208 - 03/18/11 07:40 AM Re: The African Warrior... [Re: Hegesias]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
I think the Zulu history is about the most well documented. The Maasia have also been well documented and are fairly well preserved. The Maasia have a sort of long spear that is used to this day. They have also preserved their traditional warrior culture.

The Zulu have a short spear and fighting style that is legendary. The British have well documented experience against it. Zulu stick fighting is still preserved and taught in South Africa.

One historical issue must be kept in mind. Most of the slaves that came out of Africa were actually sold to European and Arab traders by waring tribes. If a tribe lost a battle, in all likelihood that tribe would be raped, killed, eaten, or sold into slavery by the victorious tribe. In Africa today, it is a very sensitive subject to ask about one's tribal history as a slave or slaver.

It is worth noting that the Zulu tribe was never sold into slavery (although they did sell slaves) and their intractable warrior spirit remains today.

#81059 - 10/09/13 10:09 PM Re: The African Warrior... [Re: Woland]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
The Smithsonian has a fairly decent collection of art, depicting African Warriors such as the Dahomey Female Warriors:

Smithsonian

Quote:
one day, one of us throws a stone that hits another stone. The noise resounds, a spark flies. We suddenly see the old woman straighten up. Her face is transfigured. She begins to march proudly… Reaching a wall, she lies down on her belly and crawls on her elbows to get round it. She thinks she is holding a rifle because abruptly she shoulders and fires, then reloads her imaginary arm and fires again, imitating the sound of a salvo. Then she leaps, pounces on an imaginary enemy, rolls on the ground in furious hand-t0-hand combat, flattens the foe. With one hand she seems to pin him to the ground, and with the other stabs him repeatedly. Her cries betray her effort. She makes the gesture of cutting to the quick and stands up brandishing her trophy….

Female officers pictured in 1851, wearing symbolic horns of office on their heads.
She intones a song of victory and dances:

The blood flows,

You are dead.

The blood flows,

We have won.

The blood flows, it flows, it flows.

The blood flows,

The enemy is no more.

But suddenly she stops, dazed. Her body bends, hunches, How old she seems, older than before! She walks away with a hesitant step.

She is a former warrior, an adult explains…. The battles ended years ago, but she continues the war in her head.

Dahomey, circa 1893

Edited by SIN3 (10/09/13 10:18 PM)

#81062 - 10/09/13 10:31 PM Re: The African Warrior... [Re: SIN3]
Naama Offline

Loc: NewYork
This vid is interesting. Not quite war, but nevertheless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPLIuBy9CY&feature=player_embedded

Quote:
Dedicated to the people of Baro. Please share.

Life has a rhythm, it's constantly moving.
The word for rhythm ( used by the Malinke tribes ) is FOLI.
It is a word that encompasses so much more than drumming, dancing or sound.
It's found in every part of daily life.
In this film you not only hear and feel rhythm but you see it.
It's an extraordinary blend of image and sound that
feeds the senses and reminds us all
how essential it is.

Edited by Naama (10/09/13 10:32 PM)

#81065 - 10/09/13 11:03 PM Re: The African Warrior... [Re: Naama]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
I had my Djembe made in Ghana. Traditional styling, all hand carved. The rhythms are inspiring. I'll be playing mine this up-coming weekend.

A lot of the warrior training is done to music, so it could be made relevant to what the OP was after, in the right context.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.