Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#50732 - 03/09/11 08:25 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Nemesis]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
I don't have a shelf, I have a box full of books, but if I look at the box at the right angle (or take out the five on top) I get:

1) A Concise Introduction to Logic, Instructor's (7th) Edition, by Patrick J. Hurley

2) Postmodern Satanism by Jason King

3) The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

4) How To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish

5) A Mother's Ordeal: One Woman's Fight Against China's One Child Policy by Stephen W. Mosher

#50740 - 03/09/11 10:30 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: XiaoGui17]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
1. Arcana- Musicians on Music Edited by John Zorn. A collection of essays from very experimental musicians
2. Basic Writings of Nietzsche A really good collection. Has Birth of Tragedy, Beyond Good and Evil, On the Genealogy of Morals, The Case of Wagner, Ecce Homo, and a big section of aphorisms.
3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. The basis of the series Dexter. The series is better but they are very different.
4. Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. Same.
5. Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.

#50758 - 03/10/11 11:39 AM Re: First Five Books [Re: Jason King]
Hegesias Offline

Originally Posted By: Jason King
Closest bookshelf to my computer:

The Rediscovery of the Mind - John Searle
In Search of the Ultimate Building Blocks - Gerard 't Hooft
Buddhism (Flamarrion Iconographic Guides) - Louis Frederic
How the World Can Be the Way It Is - Steve Hagen
Superstrings and the Search for The Theory of Everything - F. David Peat

JK
These books you have listed are what I am looking for because of the interest I have in correlating Gnosticism with these modern theories.

Much of what I have read on the implicate order inwardly nauseates me with the notion of human interconnectedness, something which gives me the urge to immediately wash my hands, yet in establishing this as the order, there is still the possibility of consolation in searching for the negative side.

F. David Peat was associated with physicist and philosopher David Bohm and the "implicate order" theory was something which really made sense and is quite obvious to see why humans would perceive this as well as the whole interconnectedness theory. I hate the idea of humans being assimilated as one mind in harmony and wish the people of earth burned to a crisp by cosmic cataclysm and for cosmos to enter total heat death. Why? because there has to be something that is opposed to the eternally recurring cycle of monotonous absurdity.

The Alpha and Omega of the primordial state is closing in from both ends to consume the cosmos, I feel it through near death experience. The cosmos being merely a fleeting light in an otherwise unbroken darkness. Why do people perceive the universe as expanding? because this is how their brain works and how they perceive the illusory nature of light. The way humans perceive light and linear time is not to be trusted except as something which sustains us and is progressive to perpetuate and evolve our kind.

The huge scale of the universe is not huge at all but the same size as anything else within it as all things converge at points of perception for all reasons relating to how our physical form interacts with objective reality, it's going to be warped as soon as the boundaries of our minds have hit the threshold of perception. I suggest that the smallest is just the same size as the largest and that everything has already happened at the same time, we just perceive a limited and linear order of things and and likewise disorder to things because we are humans with a brain that works in such a way to sustain our existence through cognitive learning and that an end answer is always elusive by design, we only see what we must in order to survive and when this reaches beyond our natural habitat this is when things become distorted and appear to be vast to keep us in perspective.

Somehow I feel that the dark alpha is the dark omega, and the non duel primordial state consumes from the outside of cosmos.

If this is so then the implicate order is true only because of the phenomenal form of it's idea being perceptible. I propose that humans can understand the cosmos to the fullest of their capacity but that the knowledge is always fundamentally flawed due to the very beginnings of ideas stemming from the human observation of something which is illusory by nature—light.

If everyone's consciousness is working together to perpetuate the linear existence then the only way to end the hideous cycle of stagnation is to shut off the holistic projector ie. destroy the Earth and all that is conscious on it. This will ensure the impossibility of linear time being re-established thus opening the end death of the universe instantly and yet timelessly.

Will there be a sinister side to Satanism to find intrinsic meaning for the evil intelligencer (evil being subjective but we know the joke by now), or will things continue to be hippyish and for the well being of mankind?

A book "Postmodern Satanism" looks interesting because of the vast knowledge expressed by it's author, a one Jason King who appears to be very in depth with views I have not explored yet such as principles of mathematics, and other areas which I am severely lacking. I'm more of your grim philosopher type who was too defiant to learn not one bit of school work. I write my own philosophy from a grim humanistic yet beast-like perspective, an epistemic distrust of the openly visible, a lucid intelligence related to, but not limited to, misanthropy. So yea, I blow my money I have left over from my bodybuilding diet on books to basically put my hermit brain to use, so as not to die as a 100% waste of my ability. I don't read much at all and have no idea where these thoughts come from other than being motivated by active nihilism..

I wonder if the intrinsic meaning in all I do is humour these days, it's a blur because conceptualising and manifesting grimness is so fun!

#50761 - 03/10/11 12:42 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Hegesias]
Autodidact Offline

My office is also my library, so I'm surrounded by bookshelves and books. What happens to be closest to me at this moment are:

1. The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution - Ouspensky
2. The Return of The Sorcerer - Clark Ashton Smith
3. Foundations for Future Database Systems - Date and Darwen
4. How To Read A Book - Adler (finished, needs to be put away)
5. a stack of gardening books and current catalogs

But don't read much into that - many more are just slightly farther.

(Woland - love Nigella )

#50773 - 03/10/11 09:11 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Autodidact]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Ok, I just moved my office last month and am still setting up my bookshelves but the stack closest to my computer, and oddly, it's 5 books....
Paradise Lost - john Milton
Black Order - James Rollins
Angels & Demons - Dan Brown
The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown
Holy Blood, Holy Grail - Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln

I know, I know..gotta get my office back together.

#50774 - 03/10/11 09:17 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Jake999]
Moravagine Offline
stranger

A rough pile by my left foot:

1. Despair - Vladimir Nabokov

2. Requiem for a Dream - Hubert Selby Jr.

3. Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

4. Moravagine (believe it or not) - Blaise Cendrars

5. The King is Dead: Tales of Elvis Postmortem - Paul M. Sammon, ed.

#50782 - 03/10/11 11:33 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Moravagine]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Justine - Marguis De Sade
The Art of Interactive Design
Grendel (God and the Devil) - Matt Wagner
Exacto! A Practical Guide to Spanish Grammar
Mayombero (Black Magic Rituals) - C.A. Montenegro

An odd mix...

#50819 - 03/12/11 02:14 AM Re: First Five Books [Re: The Zebu]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

The below books are lying in a pile in the bedroom.

1. The Iliad by Homer
2. The Odyssey by Homer

Both of these books have been translated by Robert Fagles.

Fagles was a genius. His translations are so fresh and he makes these great works inspiring. Those great figures like Achilles and Agamemnon live again in plain contemporary English.

3. Childhoods End by A C Clarke

A special book which I will read in the next few months.

4. Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Am thinking about giving this a re - read after not touching it for years.

5. The Hastur Cycle

A collection of stories, edited by Price. Because the great Magician's say its worthwhile and because I am determined to get to the bottom of this whole business.

#51132 - 03/16/11 11:56 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Nemesis]
bremloc Offline
stranger

Loc: Ohio
The Bhagavad Gita
Aliens in America
Secret America
American Extremists
Paddy Whacked: The Story of the Irish-American Gangster

#51306 - 03/19/11 04:20 AM Re: First Five Books [Re: Jake999]
Valour Offline
stranger

Loc: Singapore
First five books are:

1) Oliver Sacks - Musicophilia
2) Daniel Levitin - This is Your Brain On Music
3) Andrew Davidson - The Gargoyle
4) Stephen King - On Writing
5) Carl Sagan - The Demon-haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

#52076 - 04/02/11 12:49 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Valour]
mattie Offline
pledge

Loc: Lat: 36.081, Lon: -96.179
This is a fun game.

1. The Concise Dictionary of English Etymology
2. The New American Webster Dictionary
3. She Comes First: The Thinking Man's Guide to Pleasuring a Woman by Ian Kerner Ph.D.
4. Common Sense by Thomas Paine
5. The Art of War by Niccolo Machiavelli

#52077 - 04/02/11 01:12 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Jake999]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Have a few books scattered around my sofa, so just reached down and picked up the closest five.

1. The Video Poker Edge, by Linda Loyd.
2. The Gate House, by Nelson Demille (not yet read)
3. The Lucifer Principle, by Howard Bloom
4. How to Write, Herbert E. Meyer/Jill M. Meyer
5. Mein Kampf, by Adolf Hitler. Full translation 1939 copy.

#52081 - 04/02/11 02:19 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Asmedious]
Shea Offline

Loc: Chicago
My bookcase is positioned directly behind my computer, but top shelf, left to right:

"Songs of the Doomed" by Hunter S. Thompson
"The Turner Diaries" by Andrew Macdonald
"Supervilains and Philosophy" Edited by Ben Dyer (silly, I know)
"The Ancestor's Tale" by Richard Dawkins
"End the Fed" by Ron Paul

I like to think there's some kind of over-arching coherency here...probably not.

#52103 - 04/02/11 07:49 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: Shea]
XBlackXScorpionX Offline
stranger

Loc: Arizona
Since my box of books is closer than my shelf...

"Blindness" by Jose Saramago
"The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max brooks
"Uncle John's Absoutely Absorbing Bathroom Reader 12th edition" by the Bathroom Readers' Institute
"Iai: The Art of Drawing the Sword" by Darrell Max Craig
AND
A bible that was in my car when I crashed.

#98021 - 03/27/15 08:45 PM Re: First Five Books [Re: XBlackXScorpionX]
Joseph Rose Offline
stranger

1. The True Believer by Eric Hoffer
2. Magic, Science and Religion by Bronislaw Malinowski
3. The Golden Bough by James Frazer
4. The Prospect of Immortality by Robert Ettinger
5. The Temple of Set by Michael Aquino

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.