Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#50781 - 03/10/11 11:19 PM Sometimes I wish Satan did exist.
Adversary Bass Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
Currently I define my religion as Atheism and my philosophy as Satanism. However, I occasionally find myself wondering: What if the Prince of Darkness really exists? How would it affect me and my life? What could I gain from having a supernatural ally?

I have read through several books and many websites about theistic Satanism, and I feel that I would be very happy to have a deity to respect and ally myself with. However, I just can't make the leap into theistic thought right now.

Has anyone else here ever felt this way? Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm thinking as I type.

#50788 - 03/11/11 01:22 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Adversary Bass]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
I don’t say it to be in any way condescending or snide, but the only period in which I felt “The Devil” might actually exist was when I was very, very young -- probably around the ages of five to seven years old. I naturally had a childish and somewhat vague image of The Devil: red skin, cloven hooves for feet, barbed tail. However, in my mind this entity wasn’t frightening or menacing in any way; I considered him to be the opposite of the christian god, and a being that lived underground in a Hell that was simply comprised of a lot of strange, neat caverns.

During this time I had the vague notion that if god and the Devil did truly exist, god was probably weak and boring, but the Devil seemed mysterious and interesting, and so, if there would ever come a time when I’d have to choose between following one of them, it would be Satan.

#50789 - 03/11/11 01:26 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Adversary Bass]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
The Devil exists. Look around you. Suns are born and explode. The human race swells up in Promethean grandeur at one moment and wails in genocidal annihilation the next. Animals fight, breed, and die. The cosmos is absolutely brimming with chaos. If this isn't Satanas, I don't know what is.

Sure, he may not be the red-horned soul-swapping cat the Church has inadvertently made him out to be, but the reality is much more impressive. Satan is the awesome and terrifying quintessence of unbridled and ultimately incomprehensible chaos. Don't settle for a cheap anthropomorphic imitation inbred by theistic ignorance.

Edited by The Zebu (03/11/11 01:34 AM)

#50792 - 03/11/11 01:56 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: The Zebu]
Tesseract Offline

Right -- as I wrote, the only time I vaguely believed in the possibility of “a cheap anthropomorphic imitation inbred by theistic ignorance” was a couple of years as a kid. Personally, I don’t equate the concept of Satan with chaos, nor biological/cosmological processes. Your comments are “poetic” (in the best sense of the idea) and certainly evocative, but to me notions such as Satan, Lucifer, the Antichrist, are more akin to facets of personal, internal, inspirational states of mind and emotion, as well as creative expression, when and where one’s life brushes up against aspects of a christian society that can create “friction” or pressure within one’s self.
#50793 - 03/11/11 02:52 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Adversary Bass]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
There is something that bothers me about your post. You make it clear that you don't believe in a literal Satan, but you want to, and you are trying to. Why are you so willing to break whatever intellectual integrity you have? If you don't believe in a Satan as a being, then it's probably for a reason. Is the idea so appealing to you that you are willing to find any 'evidence' you can to try to justify you want?

#50794 - 03/11/11 04:14 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Adversary Bass]
Tesseract Offline

It’s too late to edit my reply to The Zebu, and I had originally intended not to clutter up the board by posting a separate correction, and so sent him a PM. But, I feel compelled to also mention here in the thread that I forget to check first to see who was in the [Re:______] line of the post of his I responded to, and so failed to notice it was the O.P.

Still, I found his comments interesting.

#50804 - 03/11/11 10:56 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: The Zebu]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

A while ago I was thinking about something similar.

As long as people personify what the Devil stands for, the Devil exists. Thinking about him as a one-dimensional character might not affirm his existence but when having his essence in mind, it becomes much easier to understand his reality.

D.

#50807 - 03/11/11 11:50 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Diavolo]
manofsteel Offline

Loc: Indiana U.S.
That could go one of two ways. Maybe if there was a God this is just his evil fucked up way of doing things and he is sitting back laughing. Or maybe it is neither and things are becuse this is the way mankind made things to run.

I really don't give a shit either way but I think we know that nature is here and so are we, I think satan is our mindset, at least mine. Given the fucked up world we live in now we either give in or stand up and be who we want to be.

People are so scared of being unpopular and for what? Be who you are and people will admire you for it.

Edited by manofsteel (03/11/11 11:51 AM)

#50813 - 03/11/11 08:35 PM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Clicks]
Adversary Bass Offline
stranger

Loc: USA
 Originally Posted By: Clicks
There is something that bothers me about your post. You make it clear that you don't believe in a literal Satan, but you want to, and you are trying to. Why are you so willing to break whatever intellectual integrity you have? If you don't believe in a Satan as a being, then it's probably for a reason. Is the idea so appealing to you that you are willing to find any 'evidence' you can to try to justify you want?

I would hardly say that I am searching for evidence of Satan, and if I was, I would have found it by now. My girlfriend is a christian, although not a "hardcore" or evangelical one, and whenever something goes wrong she just trusts her god to handle it. Maybe things would be easier if I could simply place my faith in a omnipotent deity that is watching out for my well-being, but Satanism is not about being the easy way out.

While the weak flock of Jesus can follow him blindly and believe they are taken care of, we must walk alone. We may face some challenges on this path, but through self reliance we can prevail in our lives.

#50838 - 03/12/11 07:40 PM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Adversary Bass]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
The reason it is important for us to understand the true nature of Satan (et al.) transcends both existence and non-existence is that all of the suffering in the world comes from either: 1) the thought that there is something, or 2) the thought that there is nothing. Plainly put, the reason for Satan's existence and non-existence is to stimulate suffering. For example, people who are materially wealthy have the suffering that goes along with having many things: the suffering related to existence (Satan). While people who are markedly poor have the suffering that comes from not having enough: the suffering related to non-existence (Satan). That the prolific rich and abject poor both suffer shows that neither type of suffering truly exists (Satan).

If suffering truly came from having material things, then the rich would suffer but the poor would not. Likewise, if suffering truly came from not having material things, then the poor would suffer but the rich would not. Since both the rich and poor suffer, this shows that their suffering has no real cause or inherent existence---that it is just the projection of conceptual Mind: Satan.

#50860 - 03/13/11 05:48 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: paolo sette]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Dear paolo sette.

I've never read such bullshit.

Well; actually I have, and far to often for my liking.

Pseudo-intellectual wanking is best done in private...

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#50862 - 03/13/11 08:46 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Woland]
Kerriss Offline
lurker

how can one be Atheist when it is a position you take, you act as if Atheism is a personal notion or title of definition for the person you are

what is Atheism? what is gnosticism? I am gnostic. Try to ask me why.......

#50863 - 03/13/11 09:10 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: paolo sette]
Hegesias Offline

Originally Posted By: paolo sette
The reason it is important for us to understand the true nature of Satan (et al.) transcends both existence and non-existence is that all of the suffering in the world comes from either: 1) the thought that there is something, or 2) the thought that there is nothing. Plainly put, the reason for Satan's existence and non-existence is to stimulate suffering. For example, people who are materially wealthy have the suffering that goes along with having many things: the suffering related to existence (Satan). While people who are markedly poor have the suffering that comes from not having enough: the suffering related to non-existence (Satan). That the prolific rich and abject poor both suffer shows that neither type of suffering truly exists (Satan).

If suffering truly came from having material things, then the rich would suffer but the poor would not. Likewise, if suffering truly came from not having material things, then the poor would suffer but the rich would not. Since both the rich and poor suffer, this shows that their suffering has no real cause or inherent existence---that it is just the projection of conceptual Mind: Satan.

Pseudo? there are valid points here. Let us take into consideration that the writer is asserting 'Satan' as not simply the advocate of suffering but that suffering is a consequence of Satan perceivable by man.

That which is described as happiness cannot possibly exist; for that the body is full of sensation, and that the mind sympathises with the body, and is stimulated when that is stimulated, and also that fortune prevents many things which are cherished in anticipation; so that for all these reasons, the notion of happiness eludes our grasp. Moreover, that both life and death are desirable, for the foolish person it is expedient to live, but to the wise person it is a matter of indifference; and that the wise person will do everything for his own sake; for that he will not consider anything else of equal importance with himself;

He will see that if he were to obtain ever such great advantages from any one else, they would not be equal to what he could himself bestow. The Individual ought to regard nothing but himself; reaction is indifference; and if action, so also is life, which, therefore, is in no way more desirable than death.

The wise person would not be so much absorbed in the pursuit of what is imposed upon him to be good, as in the attempt to conceptualise what is evil and put it to good use holistically. Anyway, this end is attained best by those who look upon the extrinsic causes of pleasure with indifference. In this we see that stimulation would come from that which is intrinsic to the individual. The emergence of actualisation from ones unmanifest potential having his Will to Power achieve it's aim is beyond moralistic views that have no place in nature or otherwise acausal realms.

That being said, retched contentment in a world of monotonous absurdity is not desirable by anyone remotely sinister. We must save the world from another ordeal.

His hate is incorporeal, primordial, pure universal desolation, He is beyond paroxysmal emotion of man with no discrimination of the target; dead, alive, sentient, insentient—all is meaningless before his irreversible inspiration—the anti cosmic impulse. He laughs at the slaves of corporeal matter. The desolate one smiles inwardly at suffering and death, for it makes him blithe. Open the dark subconsciousness of man and flood forth the disharmonic current to darken the collective world soul. As above, so below.

The endless dark aeon is nigh.

#50864 - 03/13/11 09:30 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Kerriss]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Kerriss
how can one be Atheist when it is a position you take, you act as if Atheism is a personal notion or title of definition for the person you are

what is atheism? what is gnosticism? I am gnostic. Try to ask me why.......

Your post seems both ill-conceived, directed at the wrong person and poorly thought-out. Woland never claimed he was an Atheist. Even so, 'Atheist' is a valid descriptor. The word has a definition. Gnosticism isn't hard to interpret either. Ask you? Only if I could work up the interest.

#50867 - 03/13/11 10:05 AM Re: Sometimes I wish Satan did exist. [Re: Hegesias]
Phobos Offline
pledge

Loc: France
So Hegesias said many things. Cool. You could have summed it up by using the word "ataraxia". And are you saying that this is some kind of gospel? I don't undertstand your goal here, you're blathering on and on when just a few lines would be enough.
Turn the repeat mode off.

Quote:
Hegesias considered pleasure as the goal of life as was the usual for the hedonistic; but, the view which he took of human life was through a lucid pessimism. Happiness, he said, ought not to be the goal of life, because happiness is not attainable, and therefore it is supposed by modern scholars the Hegesias concluded that the wise person's only goal ought be to seek to become free from 'pain' and 'sorrow', yet no mention of pain and sorrow being the basis for what is bad is documented, Hegesias wrote 'he shall be the avoidance of what is 'bad' which is subjective.

Yet, this discourse was later replaced by Epicurus' thoughts about the eudemonic way of life he was a proponent of: the extensive pursuit of pleasure and the avoidance of pain, though all pleasures were not to be satisfied. This is the difference between "compulsion" and "indulgence".

Quote:
That which was described as happiness cannot possibly exist; for that the body is full of sensation, and that the mind sympathises with the body, and is stimulated when that is stimulated, and also that fortune prevents many things which are cherished in anticipation; so that for all these reasons, the notion of happiness eludes our grasp.

This is true only when you think like a spoiled child.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.