Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#50817 - 03/12/11 01:04 AM How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take?
Project Atlas Offline
stranger

Loc: Los Angeles County U.S.A.
Enough to kill Two and a Half Men!
Bad joke I know, and no offence intended if anyone likes the show, but does anybody think it's all over for that show?

#50830 - 03/12/11 01:39 PM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: Project Atlas]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
It's been over ever since Jake grew up, in my mind at least. The shtick of each character is pretty old by now. The only one I continue to like is Berta.

Charlie needs a Berta is his real life. She'd beat some sense into him.

#50831 - 03/12/11 02:00 PM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: Nemesis]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I just wish Sheen would overdose already so everyone will shut the fuck up about him. I'll never understand the obsession with celebrity. And for that I am thankful.

#50832 - 03/12/11 02:30 PM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

Oh, but when he kicks the bucket there will be a memorial service, a memorial dvd collection with all the films you wish he'd never made, movie marathons on HBO, the plethora of biographies, the newspaper exposés, the spin-off series of Two and a Half Men (guess the title...), the stuffed toys and eventually the definitive film hailing him as a misunderstood genius and a great artist. The sharks have already smelled the blood in the water, and they're circling.

Celebrities have always been required so people wouldn't have to do all that crazy stuff to have fun with it. They're life, one stage removed. If they didn't act like cunts, nobody would pay to watch them. They're our time's sideshow freaks.

Personally, I've never seen the point when you can just cut out the middleman and be all the cunt you can be. It cuts down on the idolatry.

#50833 - 03/12/11 03:47 PM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Quote:
A Brief History of Celebrity
by Erika Eichelberger

I. The Sun King

Blame Louis the XIV for US Weekly.

Way back in the 17th century, savvy Parisiennes, obsessed with the despot who invented the chic life, would rush out at the turn of each season to snag the mode de rigeur according to the Sun King’s taste du jour. In English, Louis gave birth to the cult of celebrity and, ultimately, the people who would one day buy Stella McCartney dresses because Mischa Barton does.

But how did we scruffy Americans make the jump from pious nation that revered statesmen and scholars—gents with strong moral fiber, like (ahem) Thomas Jefferson--—to a nation of celebrity cyber-stalkers for whom, as Calvin (yes, of and Hobbes fame) so pithily editorialized, “television validates existence”?

II. Celebrity and the American Masses

Around the turn of the 20th century, twenty-three million people immigrated to the United States. These teeming, huddled masses brought with them mass culture, which was fascinated by the entertainment industry. Amy Henderson, historian at the Smithsonian Institution, writes in “Media and the Rise of Celebrity Culture” that, “the ‘genteel tradition’ that had been the sinew of American mainstream culture and its heroes dissolved in this mass new urban stew.” Couple this with the centralization of the entertainment industry in New York in the early 20th century and you have a booming celebrity-centric market.

But we can’t just blame the dirty masses for this cultural tilt. The old boys played their part, too. Lawrence W. Levine, late Professor of History and Cultural Studies at George Mason University, argued that because the upper crust felt their way of life was threatened by the influx of immigrants, cultural consciousness shifted away from a focus on character and towards personality in order to distinguish themselves from the masses. Projecting an external persona in lieu of cultivating internal qualities became a means of self-preservation. Henderson continues, “In a culture preoccupied with personality, ‘celebrity’ became a measure of success.” And it was thus that the swells helped set the stage, if you will, not only for obsession with celebrity, but also with personal celebrity.

III. Celebrity, a Higher Calling

Later in the 20th century, society really went to hell in a hand basket. First of all, if you haven’t heard yet, according to Nietzsche, “God is dead.” Sorry.

No, but really. While Christians still far outnumber secular Americans and Americans of other religious persuasions, the percentage of secular Americans grew by 110 percent between 1990 and 2000, while Christians only increased their ranks a measly 5 percent. No, we’re not as existential as Europe, but we’re on our way. Arthur W. Hunt III, PhD, Christian educator and Christian Research Journal contributor, agrees: “The Christian consciousness is fast fading.”

Warren Susman, the late Rutgers historian, said in “Culture and Communications” that even by the 1930s man had replaced the vision of “God as a god of design. In a world increasingly out of order . . . man as designer was called upon to find some new order in the world.” If man had already begun in the early part of the century to take the reins from God, it only took a few decades for this trend to evolve into the full deification of man.

By and large, sociologists agree that celebrities have become the gods of 21st century America. Neal Gabler, entertainment scholar, author, journalist and political commentator, writes in his book Life: The Movie, that American society sees celebrities as “icons on their way to apotheosis”, that we “seek . . . exegeses of their lives as if they are sacred texts” and revere “artifacts as if they were relics.” Britney’s chewing gum on Ebay, anyone?

IV. Celebrity Worship Today: When Religion Turns Into a Scary Cult

God may well be halfway out the door, but other factors contributed to this societal evolution as well. Just as centralization of the entertainment industry in turn-of-the-century New York fueled the rise of nascent celebrity culture, history repeats itself; the 1990s media mergers and technology boom only propelled existing celebrity culture from fascination to obsession.

After a wave of mergers in 1994, the American entertainment industry saw itself consolidated into a handful of players, all of who recognize the importance of celebrities “in promoting the aspirational nature of consumerism” and seek “to colonize the imagination of consumers through the cult of celebrity,” as Stuart Nicholson says in “How Big Business Can Kill Jazz—if We’re Not Careful.” Sex sells, celebrities sell. It’s fairly simple. Add to this the rise of the Internet and you get the current state of affairs: celebrity ubiquity. It’s kind of like the chicken or the egg. The media both capitalizes on and creates the obsession.

Certainly in a celebrity-saturated society we’re more likely not only to be obsessed with the rich and famous, but also to suffer from the pangs of fame-hunger ourselves. But Murray Milner, Senior Fellow at the Institute for Advanced Studies in Culture, argues that a shrinking sense of self, caused by globalized social networks, is also at play. In “Celebrity Culture as a Status System”, Milner explains that, “The larger and more complex the social network, the more problematic visibility is and the more it becomes prerequisite to status.” As technology, especially the Internet, expands our social circles from the city block to the global block, being known around town is no longer enough. As Milner says, “Gaining visibility . . . becomes an accomplishment in itself.”

I am famous, therefore I am?

This means that fame has now become as democratic as it is apparently necessary. Twenty-first century America churns out celebrities—real and pseudo—like high-fructose corn-syrup, whether in the form of hot new “It” actresses, reality TV rookie celebs, rich nobodies with image consultants or scandalous girl-next-doors on YouTube.

V. The Future of Celebrity

What shall become of us, then? Shall ours be the fate of those fools who “changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man” (Rom. 1:23)? Has God already given us up to uncleanness through the lusts of our hearts (Rom. 1:24)?

Whatever, all I know is fifteen minutes of fame will no longer do it for me.

A Brief History of Celebrity

D.

#50837 - 03/12/11 07:30 PM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: Diavolo]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

From the little I have read at least he isn't looking to put the blame on anything or anyone but himself.

"I'm on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen"

Carry on

~T~

#50843 - 03/12/11 09:11 PM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: ta2zz]
Jake999 Offline

LOL! I saw that... but I think ol' Charlie is confusing a drug with a DOPE. Talk about a dipshit who're rather starve than take a half of a loaf of bread.

#50848 - 03/12/11 11:26 PM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: Jake999]
Clicks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I have to like Charlie Sheen if only for his absurdity. He is entertainment for those that can see something disgusting and be tickled to death by it. He's what he isn't supposed to be, therefore, some degree of hilarious, at least to myself. Further, he is a master of rallying the brain-dead these days, it seems, whether purposefully or not, and that makes it all the more funny. And still, I don't think I could be bothered to read or watch anything about him I didn't accidentally stumble upon.

#50855 - 03/13/11 03:21 AM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: Diavolo]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

Excellent paper, D, thanks for sharing! Although I can't come up with any really convincing examples at the moment, I think the practice of elevating a person to divinity and then sacrificing him/her to release the deity within was widespread throughout antiquity. Er, wait, xtianity...

Seriously, it's an ur-story that predates xtianity with such force and regularity it's amazing we don't see our celebrities' divine status as some hilarious joke. The best part of it, however, is how the great unwashed take such pleasure in watching their gods crumble into mediocrity, hoping that by bringing their gods down to their level, they will somehow obtain divinity.

Bringing us neatly back to the sideshow. The debasement of the worshipped entity to make our own mediocrity sting a little less. In a society such as this, arrogance and nobility become prime virtues. Among the collectivist relativists, the unashamedly individualistic rise to the top. Just don't self-destruct like Charlie boy, or you'll feed another generation of celebrophages.

#50858 - 03/13/11 05:30 AM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: SkaffenAmtiskaw
I think the practice of elevating a person to divinity and then sacrificing him/her to release the deity within was widespread throughout antiquity. Er, wait, xtianity...

Interesting...
You must of course be refering to the one and only Michael Jackson.
But then again; wasn't he Jewish?
Hmmm....

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#50975 - 03/14/11 04:04 PM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: Woland]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I like Charlie.
He hasn't pretended to be something else.
From his interview in Hustler years ago, to his romps with hooker cheerleaders, he has never hid who he was.
He has always managed to be true to his drugs of choice, hookers, coke, and fame.

I think that maybe since he has gotten older and society has become less tolerant, that "it" finds his antics far from funny now. "They" expected him to grow up, and the winning warlock hasn't.

I hope he doesn't, in a really fucked up way he's comparable to Peter Fonda.

Morgan

#51008 - 03/15/11 10:01 AM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: Morgan]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
This is my take on what’s happening in Charlie’s head: I’ve got more money than I could ever spend, I’m in a show I don’t care much about to satisfy a fickle public and asshole bosses - why not just say to hell with it? They want a show, I’ll give them a real show directed and produced by me. Call it The Meltdown.

It’s not career suicide; it’s Two and a Half Men suicide. As long as he’s Charlie Sheen, there will be work available if he wants it (assuming he avoids any long prison sentences). The question, of course, is does he want it? Does he ever want to perform again for shits and giggles or is he content with an early retirement, a permanent vacation? Not a bad position to be in.

#51010 - 03/15/11 10:32 AM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: William Wright]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Not to mention that when you look at it, his character he played on "Two and a Half Men" is not very far from his real-life persona: An alcoholic, self-obsessed man-whore. It's going to be tough for the show's producers to find someone with so much real-life experience to fill in for Sheen.

#51012 - 03/15/11 11:13 AM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: Nemesis]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemesis
It's going to be tough for the show's producers to find someone with so much real-life experience to fill in for Sheen.

Oh, I dunno... I could point them in the direction of San Francisco's Tenderloin district for alcoholic douchebags... or Boston's Combat Zone... couple of places I know in Vegas... the Kaiserstrasse in Frankfurt...

#51190 - 03/17/11 09:23 PM Re: How much cocaine can Charlie Sheen take? [Re: Jake999]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
Eh, he'll be just fine....he's touring!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/entertain...io-1109395.html

Would I pay $50.00 to $80.00 to see the man on stage? Nope.

Quite frankly, I found it rather comical to hear he's doing a "stand up" act after this stupid brewha the media has made over his real life. Ah well, the man has money and wants to waste it on things he does enjoy. If he burns himself out, oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.