Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#51473 - 03/21/11 02:46 PM Satanic movie characters
Waanzin Offline
stranger

Loc: Belgium
Recently, I watched the movie ‘Millenium: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ‘, the first part of the Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson. I noticed that one of the characters, Liesbet Salander, has a rather obvious satanic view on life. I am not referring to her gothic looks, but to her behavior. She fights back when they try to beat her up, she takes vengeance after she is raped and she fulfills her carnal needs. It is nice to find Satanism in an ordinary fiction film, otherwise this is mostly the subject of rather serious literary works or documentaries. Has anyone else seen this movie? Are there other movies with Satanic characters in it?
#51486 - 03/21/11 05:13 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Asmedious Moderator Online

Loc: New York
I watched it last week, and got the same impression about that female character as you did. Although I do find her look very attractive, I think she would be sexier without the piercing’s, but that is a matter of personal taste.
Usually I find nude scenes in movies to be an over kill and mainly a filler for time, but in her case I kept rewinding it because she has exactly the type of body that I love.

In regards to the movie as a whole, I think it's the best film that I have seen within the past 24 months.

#51499 - 03/21/11 06:32 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Asmedious]
Gueheriet Offline
stranger

Well, for me at least, when I think on movie characters with satanic traits I must think on Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now. He has seen the true face of humanity and has reacted becoming "more human than human", he may be self destructive, and that´s pretty anti satanic, but he knows exactly how the music of the spheres sounds and acts according to his own beliefs and will.
#51504 - 03/21/11 07:14 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Waanzin
Are there other movies with Satanic characters in it?

Try Edward James Olmos as El Pachuco in Zoot Suit, along with his three daemonic damsel colleagues. [All four appear in this opening sequence, and magically thereafter throughout the film.] If you thought EJO was electric in Miami Vice, wait 'til you see him here ...

#51547 - 03/22/11 02:55 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
Are there other movies with Satanic characters in it?

Try Edward James Olmos as El Pachuco in Zoot Suit, along with his three daemonic damsel colleagues. [All four appear in this opening sequence, and magically thereafter throughout the film.] If you thought EJO was electric in Miami Vice, wait 'til you see him here ...

Sing Michael, Sing!
Zoot Suit is one of my all time favourite movies.
Saw it 20-25 years ago, and it has never left me.
Been trying to find it on region 2 dvd, but no such luck...

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#51548 - 03/22/11 03:06 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Recently, I watched the movie ‘Millenium: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ‘, the first part of the Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson. I noticed that one of the characters, Liesbet Salander, has a rather obvious satanic view on life. I am not referring to her gothic looks, but to her behavior. She fights back when they try to beat her up, she takes vengeance after she is raped and she fulfills her carnal needs. It is nice to find Satanism in an ordinary fiction film, otherwise this is mostly the subject of rather serious literary works or documentaries. Has anyone else seen this movie? Are there other movies with Satanic characters in it?

Although I enjoyed Ms. Lisbet Salander as portrayed by Noomi Rapace, I must admit to eagerly be awaiting David Fincher's version.

As to other movie characters, I've always enjoyed Mr. De Niro as Louis Cyphre.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#51550 - 03/22/11 03:43 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
The character Brother Justin Crowe from HBO’s “Carnivale” was fun to watch, and the two season series was quite enjoyable, blending all sorts of occult and paranormal themes into its plot set against the backdrop of The Dust Bowl and The Great Depression.
#51566 - 03/22/11 01:31 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Woland]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Woland
I've always enjoyed Mr. De Niro as Louis Cyphre.

The scene in which he expounds on the human soul while slowly stripping the shell off a hard-boiled egg with those talon-fingernals is especially delicious.

#51568 - 03/22/11 01:52 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
Vincent Price as Prince Prospero in Roger Corman’s “Masque of the Red Death”:

The Masque of the Red Death

And while Price’s character in the 1964 film “The Last Man on Earth” isn’t Satanic, I definitely recommend the film. It’s a low budget (I believe), Italian production, with a script that is weak at times, but the picture transcends those limitations to create a genre movie that’s much better than expected, with some truly memorable scenes.

Edited by Tesseract (03/22/11 01:56 PM)
Edit Reason: Video wouldn't embed.

#51571 - 03/22/11 02:16 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Tesseract]
Gueheriet Offline
stranger

"The Last Man on Earth" is a classic. Price, as usual, is brilliant and in, my opinion, it´s Matheson´s novel best adaptation, even better than the original "Omega Man". The character may not be really satanic but I think the whole "man against the world" and "apocalyptic survival" genres attract satanists.
#51581 - 03/22/11 04:34 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Charles Gray as Mocata in Hammer's The Devil Rides Out. You just don't get any more elegantly-sinister than this.

#51586 - 03/22/11 05:06 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Peter Cook in Bedazzled (1967).

Not as much Satanic as Satan incarnate...
Good laughs though!

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#51618 - 03/22/11 10:59 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Woland]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
One movie stands out amongst the crowd of Satanic films, and that is The Black Cat [1934] starring two noteable individuals: Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.

I'm a sucker' for the black and white movies of the '30s and '40s and early '50s.

#51621 - 03/23/11 12:35 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: paolo sette]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: paolo sette
One movie stands out amongst the crowd of Satanic films, and that is The Black Cat [1934] starring two noteable individuals: Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.

Here is its Satanic ritual sequence. Sometime I must dig up my old high school Latin textbook and translate Boris' incantation [unless we have some fluent Latin scholars here?].

Note also the interesting use of the Cross of Lorraine as the altar centerpiece. I am supposing that this was taken from its Knight Templar usage, evoking the legend of their "Satanic" Baphomet-worship.

Another interesting detail is the device surrounding Karloff's inverse Pentagram badge: the alternate/linear design of Cauda Draconis or [in astrology & geomancy] the South or Descending Node of the Moon. CD is often described as the negative or Satanic counterpart of Caput Draconis.

#51622 - 03/23/11 12:45 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Strother Martin did a rather frisky job as the Satanic priest in 1971's Brotherhood of Satan, a sleeper at the time but actually one of the better Satanic films to follow Rosemary's Baby. Echoes of RB in Martin's double-identity in the community, as well as perhaps Village of the Damned. Basically the brainchild of L.Q. Jones, who also starred as the hapless town sheriff.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.354 seconds of which 0.33 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.