Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#51659 - 03/23/11 07:13 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
In 1975 Ernest Borgnine was a surprisingly [given his McHale's Navy image] sinister Satanic Priest in The Devil's Rain.

The movie is discussed in some detail in my Church of Satan, but there are a few fun incidentals in this YouTube clip:

(1) William Shatner's protective medallion is a larger, stylized rendition of the Church of Satan's original copper/enamel "Protection" amulet - one of several amulets designed by Anton LaVey and sold by the Church in the 1960s.

(2) Borgnine's Baphomet medallion is in black/silver, because he was supposed to be a Priest of Mendes III°. [In 1974 the Church's degree-medallions were color-coded, with black as the III°.] A larger medallion was created for Borgnine to make it easier to see.

(3) Inside the church you will see some animal-head outlines and a "maze" trapezoid/Pentagram design. These were Anton LaVey's personal artwork. He had nothing to do with the hideous stained-glass Baphomet behind the altar.

(4) Borgnine's incantation begins of course with the "Invocation to Satan" from the Satanic Bible. [His later incantation atop the mountain came in part from my "Ceremony of the Nine Angles" in the Satanic Rituals.]

(5) If you watch the complete movie, Diane LaVey had a cameo as Borgnine's colonial-era wife, and Anton had a cameo as the gold-helmeted Priest atop the mountain.

(6) "Redstone" was actually Durango, Mexico.

(7) I think this was Shatner's last movie before the Star Wars phenomenon resurrected Star Trek and its series of movies.

(8) TDR was John Travolta's movie debut; he had a bit part as a Satanist who fights with Tom Skerritt and then falls down a flight of stairs. He was originally uncredited, but his name was added prominently to later releases of the film after he became a star.

(9) TDR began as a novel, icky-poo Wiccan from start to finish. It got sinister real fast once Robert Fuest (who also directed the two Dr. Phibes films) had the bright idea to invite Anton on board as the technical advisor, thank badness.

(10) The chanting inside the church, and later on the hillside, is indeed the tail-end of one of the Enochian Keys from the SB. Anton coached Mexican extras in this with a chalkboard; Diane's snapshots of this "class" were hilarious.

#51661 - 03/23/11 07:38 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jake999 Offline

Dr. LaVey told me that he eventually started getting the slow, plodding cadence of the Enochian by shuffling like a monster in front of the extras, then having them do the same, pronouncing a syllable with each step. He had some great tales about his time in Durango... Shatner having to beg rides to the set because they had forgotten to negotiate a limo in his contract, a particularly cold morning with the LaVeys, John Travolta, and Eddie Arnold huddled in a limo for warmth, with Eddie Arnold singing some of the sweetest music, Keenan Wynn (apparently pretty hard of hearing) bellowing across a restaurant about LaVey being a REAL Satanist and how the world could learn a thing or two...

I was interested in who had the goat-headed speherical "soul jar" and where I could get it. http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/beedubelhue/?action=view¤t=devilsrain8.jpg

#51665 - 03/23/11 08:58 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
And of course there’s Al Pacino’s over-the-top performance in “The Devil’s Advocate.” His thoroughly entertaining turn as Lucifer makes an otherwise mediocre film well worth watching.
#51671 - 03/23/11 10:42 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Tesseract]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I just watched for the umpteenth time my favourite movie as a Birthday treat - "Night Of The Demon" (1957, Director Jacques Tourneur), with pizza and chocolate cake. \:D

It features Niall MacGinnis as the Black Magician, Julian Karswell and he is,in my opinion, superb. His interpretation of this role - sinister and beautifully understated - marks the zenith of his career before he retired from acting to follow life as a country doctor.
That Karswell gets his "come-uppance" at the end matters not a jot because the audience is compelled to feel - possibly against their better judgement - respect that he knew exactly what powers he had summoned and was prepared to pay the ultimate price for earthly success.

Maybe that's not exactly "Satanic" but it's a damn fine performance in a film that is pure class. If you haven't seen it yet, please do and join my FaceBook fan page! \:\)

Edited by felixgarnet (03/23/11 10:46 PM)

#51676 - 03/24/11 12:05 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: felixgarnet]
felixgarnet Offline

Link to Karswell and his cat.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randhobart/3253841790/

Plus a photostream of stills from the film.

#51677 - 03/24/11 12:17 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: felixgarnet]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
I’ve just added “Night of the Demon” to my Netflix queue -- thanks for the suggestion.

It’s not quite what the O.P. was asking for, but I’ve always thought that the portrayal of Satan as a beautiful and sympathetic young girl in the crucifixion, and jesus’ possible future scenes in Martin Scorsese’s excellent “The Last Temptation of Christ” were perfect. Satan would of course appear to jesus, and all mortals, really, as the beautiful and nearly irresistible fallen angel, rather than the “gothic” horror cliche I recall from Mel Gibson’s ridiculous “Passion of the Christ”.

I remember all the rage and indignation of christians towards Scorsese’s film when it was originally released in the late 1980s, but when I finally got around to watching it for the first time several years ago I found myself thinking that if I were a christian, I’d have found myself perhaps deeply appreciating the movie, as it demonstrates just what jesus gave up in order to supposedly save all future mankind through his suffering and death.

Similarly, when I read Milton’s Paradise Lost it occurred to me that christians would be better served adopting -that- as their holy book, since it’s so much better written that the x-ian bible, and basically tells the same story.

But I realized in both cases that those opinions of mine were based in reason and logic, and so not what most christians would feel towards both works.

#51682 - 03/24/11 02:28 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Tesseract]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

The one! The Only! The Mad and brilliant Doctor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBC9Q3PvRts

#51683 - 03/24/11 02:34 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: felixgarnet]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: felixgarnet
I just watched for the umpteenth time my favourite movie as a Birthday treat - "Night Of The Demon" (1957, Director Jacques Tourneur), with pizza and chocolate cake. \:D

Here's one of the more detailed reviews I've come across:

Originally Posted By: From IMDB
People have often tried to connect the character of Julian Karswell (Niall MacGinnis), with English Occultist Aleister Crowley, the self proclaimed 'Great Beast'(1875-1947). Crowley was around at the same time as M R James' (1862-1936) who wrote the short story 'Casting the Runes' - upon which the film is based - so there's a chance that there may have been a link. However the character of Karswell in the movie is far less of an arrogant glamour seeker than was Crowley. All Karswell wanted was for he and his followers to be left in peace.

Dana Andrews was a good choice to play the character of John Holden - a sceptical American scientist who personified what some would consider to be 'the new establishment' (as it was in 1957). Confident, unbending and opinionated. Typical of a generation that had just gone through huge advances in science and technology during WW2.

Jacques Tourneur directed this film on a shoestring, yet he created an uneasy atmosphere of disjointed anxiety throughout. The lighting, the music, the photography and dialogue all add up to a piece of cinematic grace and mastery. Allow yourself to be completely absorbed in the plot and at the end you'll realise that you're exhausted, and your heart is pounding like a steam hammer.

I guess this is the bit that might be construed as a spoiler, but when you look at the characters objectively, you'll perhaps come to realise that Karswell wasn't a deranged madman after all. In fact he was a very likable man - reasonable from start to finish. He tried to talk rationally with both Harrington and Holden, but neither man was prepared to listen to his point of view. In the British Library, he tried to appeal to Holden's objective scientific mind by inviting him to Lufford Hall to look at a very rare manuscript, in an attempt to convince him not to go ahead with his expose of Karswell's group. It was only when Holden showed no sign of movement that the runic parchment was passed, thus unleashing the demon. Perhaps Holden deserved it......? The closing sequence of the film sees Karswell being dismembered by a truly traditional demon (check out the earliest medieval woodcuts of demons if you disagree). A little unfortunate for those of us that had grown fond of Karswell's character (a bit like one grows fond of the character of Hannibal Lecter in 'Silence of the Lambs' or Colonel Kurtz in 'Apocolypse Now'.

Personally I don't see Crowley in Karswell, though I suppose the Brits tend to see him in many local "Satanist" portrayals. [Mocata was indeed an intentional Dennis Wheatley Crowley-caricature; Wheatley & Crowley knew one another, and Wheatley sprinkled A.'.A.'. terminology all through his "Black Magic" novels.]

Another intentional Crowley-caricature was in Somerset Maugham's The Magician, which was made into a silent film - which I always thought was lost but has happily resurfaced as a DVD. \:\)

Edited by Michael A.Aquino (03/24/11 03:13 AM)
Edit Reason: I just found the DVD of The Magician.

#51684 - 03/24/11 02:50 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1
The one! The Only! The Mad and brilliant Doctor!

Cf. also Appendix #62 "Dark Deco" of my Temple of Set, particularly the amusing commentary by the Phibes Production Designer at the end. ;\)

There's a lot more about the Satanic aspects of Art Deco in my Church of Satan. Anton once again gets all the credit for alerting me to this, since he was a Deco/Nouveau devotee, particularly of its "bad boy" Bruno Zach.

#51686 - 03/24/11 03:05 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
felixgarnet Offline

Thank you so much for your input, Dr Aquino! \:\)

I enjoyed the review and agree that the identification of Karswell with Crowley is dodgy but understandable, given the British public's superficial acquaintance with the latter and Karswell's portliness and goatee beard.

The book which gives the most detailed information about the film is Tony Earnshaw's "Beating The Devil" and he is in the process of updating and republishing it with extra snippets. I was thrilled to find he'd joined my FaceBook group, "Night Of The Demon Is The Best Film Ever Made"!

Details below:

Beating the Devil - The Official Tony Earnshaw Website
Beating the Devil. The Making of Night of the Demon. UK: NMPFT Publishing/Tomahawk Press, 2005; PB. ISBN: 095319261X Order this book from tomahawkmedia.co. ...
http://www.tonyearnshaw.com/bib_beatingthedevil.

SORRY - THIS LINK IS BROKEN.

I always found Karswell far more likeable than Holden (I wonder why? ;))- he talks the talk and walks the walk - albeit one abruptly curtailed.
My current project is to draft an appreciation of this film together with a serious examination of the occult concepts in the plot. Although the runes themselves, so far as I can make out in their pictographic form, are simply statements about a man of property they are, of course taken from an ancient and magickal alphabet. The film has a lot of material that is worthy of an in-depth look from the view of an occultist born around the time of its creation - and that would be me. \:\)

Edited by felixgarnet (03/24/11 03:09 AM)

#51687 - 03/24/11 03:06 AM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Waanzin]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Some films are so bad they're classic, and since Werewolves on Wheels has a Satanic cult & priest in it somewhere, I guess it qualifies for this thread. The first two Amazon customer reviews say it all so well that I wouldn't presume to comment further.

#51711 - 03/24/11 05:19 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Okay Dr. Aquino, time to get serious. Can you beat this one?

The Great Stanton!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idlYaKQ1yjw

#51712 - 03/24/11 05:28 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: ]
Jake999 Offline

My favorite part of NIGHTMARE ALLEY... where Stanton learns the power of cold reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOx4U49Rj4&feature=related

#51715 - 03/24/11 05:43 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Jake999]
Jake999 Offline

If your really want a tour de force portrayal of "evil," I can definitely recommend Andy Griffith (pre Sheriff Andy Taylor of Mayberry) as Lonesome Rhodes in the 1957 movie A FACE IN THE CROWD, directed by Elia Kazan.

It's in black and white and a portrayal of an unscrupulous man who uses his celebrity for control. Sort of like the evil twin of Will Rogers.

Patricia Neal plays his love interest who finally exposes him for the monster his public never expected.

#51726 - 03/24/11 06:59 PM Re: Satanic movie characters [Re: Jake999]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Beautiful one Jake - I like that scene from Nightmare Alley as well.

I am not aware of A Face in the Crowd, but like Kazan.

If I remember rightly Kazan directed On the Waterfront with Brando, which despite some Christian undertones, is one of my favourite films.

I also like Robert Mitchum in The Night of the Hunter. The whole atmosphere of that film is so sinister and Mitchum was a genius.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.