Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#51575 - 03/22/11 03:11 PM Architecture
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
I’ve long had a casual interest in architecture, and over the years have tried to set in memory some of the distinctions between, and traits of specific established styles. While doing some recent online browsing I happened upon this website, which upon initial inspections seems to be fairly extensive and potentially useful:

http://www.greatbuildings.com/

Among the types of contemporary architecture I’d say “Modern” (as in Modernism/Modernist) has come to be one of my favorites for both civic and residential structures. Meanwhile, most of the examples of self-proclaimed “Post-Modern” architecture I’ve seen definitely don’t appeal to me -- at least in large scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_architecture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodern_architecture

#51579 - 03/22/11 04:14 PM Re: Architecture [Re: Tesseract]
Hegesias Offline

I was going to give you examples of appalling architecture in my town, I mean it's embarrassingly unnecessary and pointlessly embellished. It tries to come off with modern arty character but really the whole city looks like modern hospital furniture was the inspiration. So instead of posting the ugly urban constructs that are receiving praise for some reason, I thought some people might like to look at some of the coolest things ever, Alexandria's labyrinthine catacombs and Transylvanian Medieval Architecture that's thought to be Vlad Tepes' castle.

#51591 - 03/22/11 06:00 PM Re: Architecture [Re: Hegesias]
Tesseract Offline

The first image doesn’t really convey a sense of what the catacombs look like. Castles are interesting, but generally don’t appeal to me aesthetically.

Here are a few quick examples of design that appeal to me. Residential:

Commercial:

“Modern”, abstract/nonrepresentational art are by far the most effective styles of visual art for me:

#51630 - 03/23/11 10:01 AM Re: Architecture [Re: Tesseract]
Hegesias Offline

Architecture is said to be the mother of all Arts. I like your examples.

I don't know if you'll like this but I found some mondo bizarro architecture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw679ml4jfg

#51644 - 03/23/11 02:21 PM Re: Architecture [Re: Tesseract]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Nazi Germany went on a construction kick, producing an astonishing number of thematic buildings during just its few pre-WW2 years. And of course there were even more grandiose plans for the anticipated postwar period, such as completely redesigning Berlin. Here is a website surveying not just that original architecture, but what has happened to it since the end of the regime. Postwar there was an almost hysterical effort by the Allies to "de-Nazify" Germany, but in the case of buildings this was problematical, since many of them were still useful. Hence you will see many edifices where the censors were content just to hack off Hakenkreuzen and behead eagles - often leaving "ghost images" more eerie than the originals.

#51648 - 03/23/11 03:39 PM Re: Architecture [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Tesseract Offline

I’ve bookmarked the video and website, and will taker a closer look soon.

The German band Einstürzende Neubauten’s name is most often translated as “collapsing new buildings” in English.

Einstürzende Neubauten

Einsturzende Neubauten - Halber Mensch

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.