Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#52008 - 03/31/11 10:59 PM Quotes
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I’m not sure if this has been done before, but I thought I might start a thread devoted to quotes.

I find these quotes to be quite inspiring and hope you enjoy them as well. I found them in a book called Dinosaur Training, which has been an important book for me for a few years now.

If you want to add some quotes of your own please do so. These quotes don’t necessarily have to be inspiring; they can be anything which tickles your fancy.

Here they are:

“There is one cardinal rule: never despair. That word is forbidden.” Winston Churchill.

“The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner aspects of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.” William James.

“You will never get to the end of the journey if you stop to shy a stone at every dog that barks.” Winston Churchill.

“Remember the story of the Spanish prisoner. For many years he was confined in a dungeon…One day it occurred to him to push the door of his cell. It was open; and it had never been locked.” Winston Churchill.

“I shall tell you a great secret my friend. Do not wait for the last judgement, it takes place every day.” Albert Camus.

“In the battle of life it is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of a deed could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena. Whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have tasted neither victory nor defeat.” Theodore Roosevelt.

#52009 - 03/31/11 11:43 PM Re: Quotes [Re: ]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I'll contribute some:

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S Thompson

"Going to trial with an attorney who considers your entire lifestyle a crime in progress is not a happy prospect." Hunter S Thompson

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata
"Life is the great indulgence - death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life - HERE AND NOW! There is no heaven of glory bright, and no hell where sinners roast. Here and now is our day of torment! Here and now is our day of joy! Here and now is our opportunity! Choose ye this day, this hour, for no redeemer liveth! Say unto thine own heart, "I am mine own redeemer." - Anton Szandor LaVey

"I despise you. I despise your order, your laws, your force-propped authority. Hang me for it!" - Louis Lingg

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember, or overthrow it…." - Abraham Lincoln

"It's not a war on drugs; it's a war on personal freedoms it what it is. Keep that in mind at all times" - Bill Hicks

"Do I look like someone who cares what God thinks?" - Pinhead

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious — makes you so sick at heart — that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." - Mario Savio

"The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it and a lie is a lie even if everybody believes it." - Unattributed

"Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull." - George Orwell

#52017 - 04/01/11 10:43 AM Re: Quotes [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Autodidact Offline

A few of my favorites:

The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed yet.
-- William Gibson

Nothing in the world can replace persistence. Talent will not; nothing more common than the unsuccessful man with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and Determination are omnipotent.
-- Calvin Coolidge.

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
-- Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.
-- George Gordon Noel Byron (1788-1824), [Lord Byron]

For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
-- H. L. Mencken

"Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and I can do all of them."
- Mr. The Plague, Hackers

#52018 - 04/01/11 11:11 AM Re: Quotes [Re: Autodidact]
Jake999 Offline

The thing to do, if you want to get ahead in this world, is to sin first and sacrifice afterwards from the proceds. -- Plato

The only morality, so far as the individual is concerned, is to give his instincts, mental and bodily, free play. Morality is the weapon which society in the struggle for existence uses in its dealings with the individual. -- Sommerset Maugham

Every crowd has a silver lining. -- P.T. Barnum

Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom. -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Reality has limits. Stupidity has not. -- Napoleon Bonaparte

#52019 - 04/01/11 01:45 PM Re: Quotes [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
"To do an evil act is base. To do a good one without incurring danger, is common enough. But it is part of a good man to do great and noble deeds though he risks everything in doing them."
Plutarch (c.46 - c.120), Moralia

"I do not believe the greatest threat to our future is from bombs or guided missiles. I don't think our civilization will die that way. I think it will die when we no longer care when the spiritual forces that make us wish to be right and noble die in our hearts."
Lawrence Gould

"The cynic is one who never sees a good quality in a man, and never fails to see a bad one. He is the human owl, vigilant in darkness and blind to light, mousing for vermin, and never seeing noble game. The cynic puts all human actions into two classes - openly bad and secretly bad."
Henry Ward Beecher (1813 - 1887)

"The only service a friend can really render is to keep up your courage by holding up to you a mirror in which you can see a noble image of yourself."
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"If you wish to glimpse inside a human soul and get to know a man, don't bother analyzing his ways of being silent, of talking, of weeping, or seeing how much he is moved by noble ideas; you'll get better results if you just watch him laugh. If he laughs well, he's a good man."
Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821 - 1881)

"The true and noble way to kill a foe, is not to kill him, - you, with kindness, may so change him, that he shall cease to be so, and then he's slain."
Emile Auguste Chartier (1868 - 1951)

"We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it."
Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

Eddie Valiant: You mean you could've taken your hand out of that cuff at any time?
Roger Rabbit: No, not at any time, only when it was funny.

... and, in ultimate reflection ...

#52097 - 04/02/11 06:10 PM Re: Quotes [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

I'll write this down before I forget it:

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be."

-Voltaire.

#52147 - 04/03/11 09:13 PM Re: Quotes [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

These quotes come from a book called An Iron Will by O.S. Marden.

These quotes may be regarded as a bit old, boring and obvious. They are still personally important to me.

The quotes come from a 19th century book, so there are a lot of references to what the male is doing. I think these quotes can be just as applicable to females as well.

"It is," says Professor Mathews, "only by continued, strenuous efforts, repeated again and again, day after day, week after week, and month after month, that the ability can be acquired to fasten the mind to one subject, however abstract or knotty, to the exclusion of everything else. The process of obtaining this self-mastery--this complete command of one's mental powers--is a gradual one, its length varying with the mental constitution of each person; but its acquisition is worth infinitely more than the utmost labor it ever costs."

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education," it was said by Professor Huxley, "is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson which ought to be learned, and, however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson which he learns thoroughly."

“When Henry Ward Beecher was asked how it was that he could accomplish so much more than other men, he replied:

I don't do more, but less, than other people. They do all their work three times over: once in anticipation, once in actuality, once in rumination. I do mine in actuality alone, doing it once instead of three times."

“This was by the intelligent exercise of Mr. Beecher's will-power in concentrating his mind upon what he was doing at a given moment, and then turning to something else. Any one who has observed business men closely, has noticed this characteristic. One of the secrets of a successful life is to be able to hold all of our energies upon one point, to focus all of the scattered rays of the mind upon one place or thing.”

“The mental reservoir of most people is like a leaky dam which we sometimes see in the country, where the greater part of the water flows out without going over the wheel and doing the work of the mill. The habit of mind-wandering, of worrying about this and that…

Many a man would have been a success had he connected his fragmentary efforts. Spasmodic, disconnected attempts, without concentration, uncontrolled by any fixed idea, will never bring success. It is continuity of purpose alone that achieves results.”

#52150 - 04/03/11 10:53 PM Re: Quotes [Re: ]
Hegesias Offline

Here are some words of Bruce Lee the philosopher whom I still find to be inspirational over almost two decades.

All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.
Bruce Lee

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

As you think, so shall you become.
Bruce Lee

Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential.
Bruce Lee

I fear not the man who has practices 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practices one kick 10,000 times.
Bruce Lee

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
Bruce Lee

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
Bruce Lee

A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough.
Bruce Lee

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.
Bruce Lee

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
Bruce Lee

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
Bruce Lee

It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential.
Bruce Lee

Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.
Bruce Lee

Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.
Bruce Lee

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Bruce Lee

Mistakes are always forgiveable, if one has the courage to admit them.
Bruce Lee

Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.
Bruce Lee

Obey the principles without being bound by them.
Bruce Lee

Real living is living for others.
Bruce Lee

Showing off is the fool's idea of glory.
Bruce Lee

Take no thought of who is right or wrong or who is better than. Be not for or against.
Bruce Lee

Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.
Bruce Lee

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
Bruce Lee

The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be.
Bruce Lee

The possession of anything begins in the mind.
Bruce Lee

To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
Bruce Lee

To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person.
Bruce Lee

To me, the extraordinary aspect of martial arts lies in its simplicity. The easy way is also the right way, and martial arts is nothing at all special; the closer to the true way of martial arts, the less wastage of expression there is.
Bruce Lee

#52152 - 04/03/11 10:58 PM Re: Quotes [Re: Hegesias]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

I can’t help myself, I am in a quote mood at the moment. A few more from An Iron Will:

"There are three kinds of people in the world," says a recent writer, "the wills, the won'ts, and the can'ts. The first accomplish everything; the second oppose everything; the third fail in everything.”

“The shores of fortune, as Foster says, are covered with the stranded wrecks of men of brilliant ability, but who have wanted courage, faith, and decision, and have therefore perished in sight of more resolute but less capable adventurers, who succeeded in making port.”

“Were I called upon to express in a word the secret of so many failures among those who started out with high hopes, I should say they lacked will-power. They could not half will: and what is a man without a will? He is like an engine without steam. Genius unexecuted is no more genius than a bushel of acorns is a forest of oaks.”

“Will has been called the spinal column of personality. The will in its relation to life," says an English writer, "may be compared at once to the rudder and to the steam engine of a vessel, on the confined and related action of which it depends entirely for the direction of its course and the vigor of its movement."

“Strength of will is the test of a young man's possibilities. Can he will strong enough, and hold whatever he undertakes with an iron grip? It is the iron grip that takes and holds. What chance is there in this crowding, pushing, selfish, greedy world, where everything is pusher or pushed, for a young man with no will, no grip on life? The man who would forge to the front in this competitive age must be a man of prompt and
determined decision.”

#52190 - 04/04/11 04:17 PM Re: Quotes [Re: ]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Inconsequential, but fun:

Maybe the world is a blur of food and sex and spectacle and everyone is just hurtling toward some unknown necropolis...

Lloyd Dobler (Say Anything) \:\)

By the way, the Bruce Lee quotes are excellent.

Edited by Fnord (04/04/11 04:24 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.