Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#52035 - 04/01/11 05:34 PM 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology?
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
Recently the faint memories of an episode of some nearly forgotten, late night program have been resurfacing, but all internet searches have come up blank. Perhaps a 600C member can supply a title, or also recalls seeing this? Hereís what I still remember:

In the mid or late 1970s I watched as a kid an episode of what was probably a short lived horror / fantasy / science fiction anthology program. It would have been aired after prime time, on American network TV. What I still recall of the plot was about a young boy who begins receiving staticky, snowy messages from someone or some thing via the small black & white television in his bedroom. At first this entity is friendly to the boy, but after a while the TV person tells him to do something disagreeable, which the boy refuses. I think he tries to tell his parents, but they of course donít believe him. As the boy continues to resist the TV person, in one scene the person/thing reaches out and electrocutes the kidís pet hamster (or similar small animal), and at that moment the audience briefly sees a clearer image on the screen of what was probably an alien. I donít remember why this TV alien would have been communicating with a small boy via television, or what exactly it wanted him to do, but the entity warned the kid if he didnít follow instructions the TV person would reach out and kill him, and/or his family.

Does this strange television memory seem at all familiar to anyone?

#52047 - 04/01/11 07:18 PM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: Tesseract]
Jake999 Offline

I think it was an episode of The Outer Limits... I remember it myself somewhat, but exactly what it was on is foggy, although Outer Limits seems most plausible.

#52050 - 04/01/11 08:29 PM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: Jake999]
Tesseract Offline

I had to double-check myself, to be certain ďThe Outer LimitsĒ didnít have a 70ís incarnation -- as most know, the original episodes ran in the early to mid 60ís, in B&W, and there was a new run from the mid 90ís thru early 2000ís (Iíve never seen any of these). Iím almost certain the program I described was in color, and from the 70ís. There are numerous episode guides on the web, including here:

http://epguides.com/OuterLimits_1963/

But I donít have time at the moment to go through the summaries for the sake of being thorough.

Iím almost positive the show Iím trying to dredge up wasnít from ďNight GalleryĒ, and I know it wasnít an installment of ďNight StalkerĒ.

Pausing now, it seems as if I had seen at least a few other episodes of this mystery science fiction program, and another one was about a male protagonist who lived in some future dystopia and worked in something like the office of a government bureau where his and his co-workersí jobs were punching small keypads on large, otherwise empty desks. I imagine the theme of the segment was along the lines of people in this future losing their humanity (perhaps a low budget borrowing from ďTHX-1138Ē).

#52051 - 04/01/11 09:03 PM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: Tesseract]
Jake999 Offline

Yeah... you have to be right there. I was in Europe in the 70's so I wouldn't have seen it THERE. I'll see if I can find something on it. I remember seeing the show SOMEWHERE.

#52052 - 04/01/11 09:48 PM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: Jake999]
Tesseract Offline

Thanks for the interest. Since my previous post Iíve done a little more online searching, but with no success. If anyoneís generally interested in television science fiction, here are a few of the websites Iíve been to on this self-indulgent quest:

http://www.magicdragon.com/UltimateSF/tv-chron.html
http://telewatcher.com/science-fiction/best-70s-science-fiction-television-shows/
http://www.helium.com/items/1002941-unforgettable-70s-sci-fi-tv-shows
http://telewatcher.com/telewatching/strange-tv-shows-from-the-70s-and-80s/
http://www.republibot.com/content/top-ten-worst-science-fiction-tv-series-all-time

Anyway, I can appreciate the occasional, truly good sci-fi series, and the best Iíve seen in recent years was the ďre-imaginedĒ ďBattlestar GalacticaĒ, despite its flaws and somewhat disappointing finale.

#52056 - 04/01/11 11:23 PM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: Tesseract]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tesseract
... What I still recall of the plot was about a young boy who begins receiving staticky, snowy messages from someone or some thing via the small black & white television in his bedroom...

Are you sure you weren't watching a TV broadcast of the film Poltergeist?

#52058 - 04/01/11 11:35 PM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Tesseract Offline

Heh, no, no. Iím positive it wasnít that film, and the television program Iím thinking of was probably only half-an-hour long. Although, I was kind of hoping you might actually know what I was referring to, since I get the impression youíre a science fiction fan, and youíd have been around and aware in the 1970ís.
#52080 - 04/02/11 02:06 PM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: Tesseract]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Heh, no, no. Iím positive it wasnít that film, and the television program Iím thinking of was probably only half-an-hour long. Although, I was kind of hoping you might actually know what I was referring to, since I get the impression youíre a science fiction fan, and youíd have been around and aware in the 1970ís.

It was definitely not The Outer Limits, which was a '60s 1-hour show revived in the 1990s. And I know that its original series had no TV-monsters as you describe.

The 30-minute series sci-fi shows which come to mind are One Step Beyond, Science Fiction Theather, and ye olde Twilight Zone. But those all date back to the 1950s/60s, and I don't recall any TV-monsters in them [though I am not as certain as in the case of The Outer Limits, of which I was an addict].

#52082 - 04/02/11 02:29 PM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
I believe there was a half hour programme on US TV made in colour in the 1970's called, "Tales Of The Unexpected". I found this while looking up the UK series on YouTube. Their plots revolved around strange things happening to ordinary people so maybe this is a possible candidate?

#52119 - 04/03/11 01:43 AM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: felixgarnet]
Tesseract Offline

Thanks for the lead, but after checking an online episode guide for ďTales of the UnexpectedĒ none of the installments sounds anything like the two plots Iím thinking of.

Itís starting to seem slightly odd to me that with seemingly every obscure bit of media history cataloged and analyzed somewhere on the internet, I just canít come up with a set of search key words that successfully leads me to this mystery sci-fi program...

[][][][][][][][][]

Edit: And now this very thread has made it up to page 3 of my ď70's 80's science fiction televisionĒ Google search -- like some strange feedback loop or echo chamber.

Edited by Tesseract (04/03/11 02:02 AM)

#52137 - 04/03/11 04:05 PM Re: 70ís TV horror/sci-fi anthology? [Re: Tesseract]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Itís starting to seem slightly odd to me that with seemingly every obscure bit of media history cataloged and analyzed somewhere on the internet, I just canít come up with a set of search key words that successfully leads me to this mystery sci-fi program...

There is nothing wrong with your computer. Do not attempt to search with key words. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to increase your hits, we will bring up the scan. If we wish to make them few, we will tune it to a miss. We can reduce the focus of your brain to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The 600 Club.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.